Monitoring: is B&W601 to Event ALP5 an upgrade?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dub3000
audio school graduate

Monitoring: is B&W601 to Event ALP5 an upgrade?

Post by dub3000 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:27 am

Hi all,

I mix and record a few projects at home in my (large, non-treated) bedroom. The room (and possibly my chunky wooden desk) does some ugly things to the bass side of things (lots of resonances) - I'm in the process of working out how to get some treatments in here without permanently marking the walls.

At the moment, I monitor through some Sennheiser HD265s that I quite like, and what I understand to be hi-fi speakers: a pair of B&W 601S2s (mounted on spikes). I *really* dig these for listening to music, but my mixes through them suck (if I mix through the headphones, I get way better results on other stereos). Amp is a Marantz PM4000, which seems to me to be a pretty nice unit.

I was just about ready to put an order in for a pair of Event ALP5s when I did a hunt around and found that lots of people seem to like the B&W 600 series for mixing.

My question is: should I go ahead and get some "proper" monitors, or should I stick with what I've got and hope that the room treatment sorts out my problems?

Cheers,

--dan

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:13 am

Room treatment is *always* a problem (bass trapping, specifically) unless you have too much (and as it's physically impossible to have too much bass trapping...)

On the other part - B&W 602's are a *huge* step up (IMO) from the 601's. I've mixed through them with results that even I wasn't expecting at the time. The 601's by comparison felt very "small" and reserved. Might be something to look in to...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering