high end open-back headphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Which headphones would you go for?

AKG K-701
No votes
Sennheiser HD-650
No votes
Grado- I don't the model? Similar price range as these.
100%

Total votes: 1

xSALx
pushin' record

high end open-back headphones

Post by xSALx » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:15 pm

Ok. I'm currently using a pair of Sony V900s. They're nice, but then I heard a pair of low end grados. The open-back design just felt so much more comfortable and cleaner. So now I'm in with some extra cash and I'm looking at getting either the AKG K-701s or Sennheiser HD-650s.

I'm going to use these headphones for mixin. I know the "golden rule": no mixing on headphones. But I often find my headphones translating better than my mixes on monitors.

I also know about the need for a headphone amp. I sort of have one right now, but I'm looking to build one from the headwize designs.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these headphones? Or any recommendations? I'm mostly doing rock mixes. I want the low end to be defined with clear mids. At the moment my hesitation is that I've read a couple places that the Sennheiser and Grados lack in the low end and are suited more for classical.

Thanks guys,
Sal
"I'd rather her sound artificial [auto tune] than sound completely drunk." As said by the producer during a long pitch shifting session.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:48 am

As long as you are mixing, and not trying to blow a drummers head off with them, I think you'll like the Grados. I've had them blow up from volume that many other types could take all day long, but they also sounded much more natural than anything else.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

inglesidesound
audio school graduate

Post by inglesidesound » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 am

another vote for the grados. get the $100 pair. holy shit.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:25 am

inglesidesound wrote:another vote for the grados. get the $100 pair. holy shit.
Agreed, the SR80's are terrific.

Don't mix with ONLY them, though. They are too flattering. I mix on some nearfields, plus MDR7506's and SR80's, just getting a feel for stuff. Lower midrange on nice headphones can just turn into super-appealing mush, and you can't hear the mistakes.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:57 am

The Grados get even better the more you spend.

The Sennheiser HD580, 600, 650 headphone should be your final stop regardless. These headphones are nothing short of fantastic. Completely replacing components too whether it be cables, ear pads, etc. Smart design. I've been using my 580s since '97.