Power Strip, AC Filtering, Or UPS?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Power Strip, AC Filtering, Or UPS?

Post by Derrick » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:11 am

I just got an Alisis HD24 hard drive recorder to replace my tape machine. It occured to me that I should probably take measures to at least protect it against spikes. Maybe even noise by means of AC filtering. Then I though, hey... this IS a computer really... maybe a UPS??

I have to decide if I will just get a Furman protective power strip or if I should get a Monster line conditioner to protect and filter noise. Better yet get a UPS to protect against power outeges (but how often does that happen?).

My question is how far do I really need to go here with all these ideas and what are you all doing in this situation?
Thanks!!
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:58 am

Well, living in Florida (where we have many power outages :evil: ) I can honestly say that having a battery backup has saved my ass many a times. It only takes one time of the power going out and you losing everything to know it's worth spending a little extra money for protection. As far as filtering goes, it's definitely great to get if you can afford it as it will insure a long healthy life for your gear. It really greatly depends on the stability of the power where you live though. If it fluctuates alot I would go for it.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:41 pm

Well, I have two separate choices it looks like:

1- to decide weather to get a furman power strip with just protection or to get one with protection and line noise filtering.

2- to get a ups in case the power is interupted.

I'm not sure though if people are even concerned enough to think they have to do anything about this. Anybody else? Do I really need this stuff or is it more gear aquisition?
Image Image

Derrick

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:04 pm

You must be drinking- your spelling is pretty awful :D

I'd worry more about power interruption than power spikes. A cheap UPS should be plenty.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:49 am

Ha... BUSTED! :oops:

So a UPS would take care of the filtering and power surges too? In other words... does it negate the need for the Furman noise filtering or surge supression?
Thanks
Image Image

Derrick

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:54 pm

Well, some UPS units can induce noise, as well. I know of a couple that seem to work fine for me in my studio and in installs, but you should learn to do the research.
I would suggest the UPS before the power strip, the one with caps that keeps the power constant would be good, or, your utility may have an offer to protect everything in your home or business unit for a fixed cost per month...this is great with a good UPS, but the word cheap is not in this equation.
mrc

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:04 am

Well, really all I have is a bounch of choices at the local Comp USA or Best Buy kinda place for UPS so I'm pretty reliant on other's knowledge of such things. I'm not sure if this is something I really need though. I mean, I don't have one on my home computer... I do think I will at least get a Furman power surge protection strip. Still considering the UPS though. Anyone else have any input?
Image Image

Derrick

SMC Productions
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Power Strip, AC Filtering, Or UPS?

Post by SMC Productions » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:04 am

Derrick wrote:I just got an Alisis HD24 hard drive recorder to replace my tape machine. It occured to me that I should probably take measures to at least protect it against spikes. Maybe even noise by means of AC filtering. Then I though, hey... this IS a computer really... maybe a UPS??

I have to decide if I will just get a Furman protective power strip or if I should get a Monster line conditioner to protect and filter noise. Better yet get a UPS to protect against power outeges (but how often does that happen?).

My question is how far do I really need to go here with all these ideas and what are you all doing in this situation?
Thanks!!

Being a VERY satisfied user of a HD24, I can tell you that a UPS is a MUST have! If you are in a middle of a session/recording, etc. and the power drops, you can LOSE IT ALL! Do NOT RISK IT!
Calcitra Clunis
http://smcstudios.we.bs/

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:30 am

Really! Well, let me put the dumb hat on and ask what "IT ALL" is? Wouldn't I just loose the current track I was recording at the time of power failure?
Image Image

Derrick

SMC Productions
alignin' 24-trk

Post by SMC Productions » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:53 am

Derrick wrote:Really! Well, let me put the dumb hat on and ask what "IT ALL" is? Wouldn't I just loose the current track I was recording at the time of power failure?
Yes...say, you were recording a live track...maybe an hour long live set...if the power failed...and U didn't have a UPS, wasn't able to 'press stop', you would lose the whole thing.

In the studio...you are recording that 'perfect' track....it's magic! You can't believe it, and then the power blips once...maybe twice...oh, SHIT!

You LOST it...NEVER to get it back! :shock:
Calcitra Clunis
http://smcstudios.we.bs/

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:27 am

Makes sence. Can this hurt the hard drive therefor screwing up other songs tracks as well?

I still wonder if anyone has any input on noise and what UPS to stay away from or which Furman is the way to go?
Image Image

Derrick

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:31 am

mrc wrote:Well, some UPS units can induce noise, as well. I know of a couple that seem to work fine for me in my studio and in installs, but you should learn to do the research.
mrc
I got an APC brand UPS (750VA). I notice on the bottom is says:

"The output of this device is not Sinusoidal. It has a total harmonic distortion of 45% and a maximum single harmonic of 35%."

Does this mean it is inducing noise as cautioned in the above post by MRC? I don't understand if it is a problem using this model UPS for my recording purpouses. Can anybody tell me what this quote on the UPS is? I'm wondering if I need to take this one back... what effect will this non sinusoidal/harmonic distortion stuff have? This is what I got:

Image Image

Derrick

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:35 am

that's the one i have. seems fine. 45% harmonic distortion though! that's certainly interesting. i've no idea what that means in terms of a/c power, can't be good though. any smart guys care to enlighten us about this?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:30 am

I use an APC, also, and it seems very quiet.

But then, I am not recording it. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:48 am

That wil probably get you by, I'm not exactly sure how harmonic distortion affects ac power. Listen and see if you hear a big difference going through it or not.

I wouldn't have the morphine drip and the heart monitor on that thing though.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure