What Did You Work On Today? 11-28-06

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 11-28-06

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:37 am

It's 5:30AM here and I'm just getting home from my Monday session, but let's get a jump-start on everybody's Tuesday. What did you/will you/are you working on today?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:29 am

Finishing up my contribution today to mjau's TapeOp Beach Boy's cover project -- I Wanna Pick You Up. Did it all ITB, my first Tracktion project. So far, I like it, though the mix is yet to come.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:51 am

Finishing touches on a mix of S&G's "April Come She Will" for this project:

http://www.myspace.com/fdraboutagirl
http://www.facedown.net/

Now that I have my BLA-modded 828mkii I'm making some changes to the last mix. Ya know, because I can actually hear things now!

Jeff

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:12 am

Now that I finally cleaned up my studio over the holiday weekend, I can try some of the gear that I've bought but haven't tried yet.

I rigged up my newly modded OktavaMod 319 --> RNP --> RNLA insert, and it sounded fantastic on my acoustics. Clear sound with the right amount of oomph. Nice to get rid of the cheap brittle sound.

Next up (maybe later tonight): my OktavaMod ML52.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:59 am

Heading over to my studio shortly to tweak one final mix, and master our 3-song demo EP.

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:41 am

I'm sure I'm in for yet another long exciting day of recording hip hop. yippy!!!! This is after pulling an all-nighter finishing tracking.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:24 am

Listening to some rough mixes of my latest demo recording project (a band not my own). I just finished tracking drum tracks to a song by another client.
I'm all about a little kick and snare

asylumdigital
pushin' record

Post by asylumdigital » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Starting on the tracking of a new hip hop project.
They have to deliver 60 songs to their label. Yipppeeee!
Last edited by asylumdigital on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peace!
Scott Slagle
Asylum Digital Recording Studios
http://www.asylumdigital.com
http://www.twitter.com/scottslagle

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 pm

--music edit, VO record, rough mix for Dove TV animatic

--final mixes for 2 Suave radio spots

--final mix for Quizno's TV spot

--VO record, edits for Xmas presentation

...and it's just now 2 pm. I may have time to eat lunch between edits today, didn't yesterday: 11 hours of juggled sessions for all the above clients plus 2. Then sound design for dance company in the evening.

Later today: more of the same, plus trying to edit a movie tonight if I can get Final Cut to stop crashing.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm

morning meeting on a percussion performance art thing we're planning for June 2007. Could be very cool if it happens

tested a Reslo mic that I fixed over the weekend

Currently trying to figure out why my buddy's EP-30 is still making intermittant noise

practice tonight for a show this Saturday
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:11 pm

i'd been thinking my fairchild 670 was acting a little funny, so i took it apart this morning before breakfast and had a look. couple simple tweaks and it was better than new.

as i was making coffee the clients showed up. i let kim, lee and thurston in and poured cups for each of them. i asked where steve was and they related the rather dramatic news that he'd left the band, for reasons they didn't want to get into. i was expressing my sympathies when kim shushed me and said not to worry about it and the immediate issue at hand was that they needed a drummer to finish their record. and then they all looked at me. anyway, long story short i hit record, ran behind the kit, and we ended up tracking 6 songs in 2 hours, all first takes. they were psyched and the mood was jovial while i ran off some quick roughs for them.

so that was the morning, while waiting for the afternoons clients i recapped a few channels in my neve board and got started on a new A/D converter i'm designing.

at about 12:30 shellac arrived. i had my assistants help them in with their gear and got them set up in the big room. had all the sounds together in 10 minutes or so and we were ready to go. rolled tape for a couple hours and got a bunch of awesome takes. they came in to listen and everyone seemed really pleased with the sounds. steve said it was great to have someone else engineering so he could just focus on playing, and then asked me for some pointers on recording drums.

good sessions today. really good sessions. the shellacs are coming back tomorrow. can't wait. anyway, after i bid them farewell for the day, i got a phone call from jimmy page, asking me if i was available to do the last, final, definitive remastering of the led zeppelin catalog. naturally i said of course! we ended up having a really great conversation and i would love to tell you all about it but i have to go and get ready for my date with parker posey tonight.

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Made a bunch of print ads for used car dealers in my area... wished I was at home recording... made more print ads for car dealers and realtors... really wished I was at home recording... layed out this week's edition of American Classifieds (Evansville, IN edition)... twiddled thumbs... REALLY wished I was at home recording... or mixing the project I promissed a band would be done Friday, but I seriously doubt will be... we'll see...

LIFE SUCKING 9-5 (or in this case 10-10)...

MEATY
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:21 pm

In the morning I sent off my mixes to be mastered, then while making lunch inspiration for a new song struck and I spent the afternoon/early evening trying to get this song done so I can get it sent off to the ME before he gets into the project (Carl Saff is mastering it). It's all recorded and I'm giving my ears a little break right now before I go back and mix it.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Rested and slept off jet-lag. Drove around a bit. Went to the studio with the intention of tidying up. I didn't. Tracked some vocals. No good. Well, good enough but that aint what I'm looking for, decided I wasen't in the right mindset, so I left.

I just ordered a pizza and have a 12 pack in the fridge. Who's coming over?
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:34 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:my date with parker posey tonight.
The most impressive part of an impressive day.