Live Recording Tips?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mattmiranda01
alignin' 24-trk

Live Recording Tips?

Post by mattmiranda01 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 am

So i've just secured the use of one of the big acoustically treated music rooms at my highschool for use in recording a live demo for my instrumental band. Our style is similar to the band Godspeed You! Black Emperor, with some elements of Explosions in the Sky and even a little bit of Morphine. Thing is, the only thing i've ever recorded live before was punk bands, so I never really needed to know much more than sticking a mic in front of everything, pressing record, and sorting it all out later. However, I want this demo to sound good, and I've come to the realization that I don't really know the basics of recording in a live environment.

If people could just offer some general tips, or maybe some links to tutorials or guides, or even good books I could read, that would be much appreciated. I'd also be happy to describe the room in greater detail, or even upload some pictures, if needed.

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:55 am

I'd start by sticking a mic in front of everything, pressing record, and sorting it all out later. If it works for punk bands it should be a good starting point for an instrumental rock band......

Seriously though - you can mine loads of good tips about recording any single instrument (or kit of them) on this site. Read everything you can find then go to Plan A above.

Listen - repeat - listen - repeat, etc.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:30 pm

"I'd start by sticking a mic in front of everything, pressing record, and sorting it all out later."

I'd pay a lot of attention to selecting a good set of stereo room mics.....

Get 'em high up in the air above the band, positioned so that the amps are placed sorta where they are gonna lay in the mix, and *then" you can push "record"....

Those mics are critical to getting a nice big band sound.....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:36 pm

trust your instincts..use the force..if it sounds right in the headphones/speakers it's right..

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Post by LVC_Jeff » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:11 pm

I've only ever recorded live shows in this manner, but I will tell you experiment with how far back in the room the mics are, it'll make a big difference. Move back for more room noise, forward for less.

Also, vocals are gonna get lost easily. Make sure they're amplified well.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 pm

I bought a couple of the ART Splitcom ($30) specifically so I could "Y" the vocal mics and get a direct signal instead of mic'ing the PA - which doesn't work well and is very hard to change the mix. Take a direct signal from everything you can too though and you can mix it with the room or close-mics. the other thing I would try is sliding the room mics (if it is a DAW) back to align closer. it brings fullness w/o sounding like a big cavernous mess (i.e., slapback/echo).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:57 am

Instrumental bands are relatively easy, especially if it's all electric instruments + drums.

Close-mike guitar amps. Run bass and keyboards direct. Two to four mics for drum set. Get room sound with a single mic or a stereo pair. Mix to taste.

mattmiranda01
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mattmiranda01 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:23 am

yeah, just instrumental, so thankfully no live vocals. wouldn't haveing a room mic set up away from the instruments give you the problem of two different mics picking up the same sound at slightly different time intervals?

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:19 pm

mattmiranda01 wrote:yeah, just instrumental, so thankfully no live vocals. wouldn't haveing a room mic set up away from the instruments give you the problem of two different mics picking up the same sound at slightly different time intervals?
Your room mic(s) will be far enough away from the source(s) so that you won't encounter phase problems. Phase problems occur more when mics are at *slightly* different distances from a source.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:37 pm

Put all the amps in another room, mic them close. Put all the musicians in the room with the drums with headphones on so they can hear all the guitars. DI anything else. Or DI everything and reamp it.

mattmiranda01
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mattmiranda01 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Okay, so no phase issues with room mics. Got it.

Even though there are two acoustically treated rooms (the main band room and the strings room, with an office i plan to use as a control room in between), i don't have enough headphones and DI boxes to do it that way.

i'm thinking i'm wanting this to sound similar to recording, say, a jazz band.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:49 pm

"don't be a pussy..record it all at the same time in the same room with nothing going DI"

-Steve Albini

mattmiranda01
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mattmiranda01 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:15 pm

good ol' steve albini.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:52 pm

He's right, ya know....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 pm

I have a gig tomorrow and I am going to have to take the advice of Mr. Albini. A three piece punk band, one room, four mics. I'll let you know how it comes out.
I have some really horrible gear!!!