sage/hamptone/bellari/altec/ampex ...help?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:57 pm

i thought about that with the SCA preamps too for about half a second. A smaller chassis wouldn't cost significantly less (if at all) in fact it might cost more since they'd have to tool up and order production runs of two different types. I'm not sure but I think they come with slugs to fill the holes on the unused spots, so it will work just fine with only one or two preamps in there. And who knows, you might really like 'em and want more down the line!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 am

Marcocet wrote: I'm pretty sure they'd watch your cat for you if you asked nicely and happened to be in town.

-marc goodman
studio g brooklyn . com
I hope Janet's dog is nice to cats!

I was amazed to see that Marc Rubel did a review of the sage pre's for the newest issue of tapeop. I have been screaming at the world about the mic pre's for a ffew years now. Get them. Be happy. Have a well built, amazing microphone preamp that you will be proud to own no matter what level you are working at. Get good sounds... enjoy the stunningly glorious transient response... also ... as Marcoset said: They are the nicest people on the planet.

We have four channels of Sage SE-1 at studio G these days, and two "bova balls."
I will slowly collect more stuff from Sage. Every time I am doing a session in a neve room, and have my Sage SE-1's with me, the crew at the studio will say, "what are you using on kick and snare??? wow!?!" The fact that I bring them with me even when going to tiny telephone...avatar... magic shop... wherever... That should be a clue...
You can see their stuff here:
www.sageelectronics.com

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 am

I was seriously considering the sage se-1's, and i've read a lot of your posts about them, actually. eventually i'd really like to get some, but right now the fact that i can get a seventh circle preamp with a chassis and power supply, then add more channels for fairly cheap later AND i get to play with a soldering iron... makes it just a little more attractive. But, if someone can seriously convince me that the sage's sound that much better than the seventh circle preamps, i'm listening.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:36 am

I'm listening too! Went to that sage website and they sure look pretty!

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:09 pm

someone say something for me and brad to listen to

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 pm

i also heard that the chameleon labs mic pre sounds really good.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

sage/hamptone/bellari/altec/ampex ...help?

Post by ivanovich » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 pm

351's/350's are expensive. really expensive. specially the ones on ebay. they sell for a thousand bucks, stating that they're in "good condition," "perfect working order" "plugged a mic to it and sounds awesome," "passes signal." ofcourse "good condition" and "perfect working order" mean different things to different people-interpretation is ivolved. unless someone is selling a 350/351 with documents (ie, charts so you could see spectrum analysis, intermodulation distortion, etc) you don't know what youre getting. it could end up costing you an additional 250-500 bucks to get a 350/351 back to spec.
if you want to work on them, be carefull, i think the transformers and other electronics within run at 350 volts.
they sure sound nice but like people said they're not as versatile as my other pre's.
i enjoy using them when they're called for.

i'd love to listen to the Sage stuff.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Kasey wrote:someone say something for me and brad to listen to
I take the Sage's with me even when there is a Neve console waiting for me...

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
Kasey wrote:someone say something for me and brad to listen to
touche

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 am

joel hamilton wrote:
Joel,

Have you used the Hamptones? What is your opinion on them? I'd like to know what you think of them in general and how you think they compare to the sage pres.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by supersockmonkey » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:35 am

Have you used the Hamptones? What is your opinion on them? I'd like to know what you think of them in general and how you think they compare to the sage pres.
I second that. Im having trouble deciding and since i cant hear them in person and so many people are raving about both it would be cool to hear some opinions. BTW I have checked past posts so you dont have to throw that in there hahaha.

thanks.
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:21 pm

I'll put another vote in for the Hamptone, I have the JFET and love it!

If your only looking for a stereo pre it's the best deal out there and a seriously well engineered peice with several great sounds, from Hi-Fi, to warm and crunchy, to all out fuzz.

Plus the DI's are really great!

There is soooo much cool stuff out there though, I had a really hard time deciding between the Seventh Circle and Hamptone kits, in the end it came down to money and the Hamptone was cheaper... :D