Fostex E16 and Studiomaster Questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Fostex E16 and Studiomaster Questions

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:21 am

Hi everyone!
Instead of creating a separate thread for every question, I thought it's probably better to post all the questions here about Fostex E16 and Studiomaster 16 into 8.

So, to start with, are there any sources for Fostex parts out there? I've searched around, and it seems Fostex no longer provides parts for their machines as they "are obsolete". Same for the manuals. Speaking of that, is there anyone who has a spare manual, or could make a copy? Willing to pay :).

I'll have more questions coming, and I'll do some research of my own before asking, I promise.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:03 pm

If you're in the Southern California area, Adrian Pro Audio (818-347-9271) will fix Fostex. He got my B16 right up to speed. Not cheap, but he does good work.

There are still some parts floating around (I was able to find the cable for the fancy remote...in Sweden), but the best source of parts is to buy a beaten-up 2nd deck for cheap and stick it in the closet.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:47 am

Read about this Han-D-Mag demagnetizer everyone talks about.

What's the big deal about it anyway? It's just an electric magnet, isn't it? To me seems like one of those rebranded things, like iKlear Macintosh and iPod cleaner i.e. Windex.

And God, I hate them for the calibration tapes. We're forced to pay, and they get home, and swim in their pools full of champagne, and then go and make love to their 3 beautiful wives/husbands, and laugh manically after all is done.

Doh!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:52 am

You can probably get by with a smaller demag on an E16 since it doesn't have the huge heads of the big multitracks. There are some fairly nice ones that are $40 or so that I've seen. I, not wanting to take a chance when I had an E16, got the Han-D-Mag. It turned out good later too. When I moved up to a 2" 24 track, I didn't have to buy a new demag.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:07 am

Don't screw around, get the han-d-mag. All else is crap.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm

Ok, you guys, as I've promised, I have more questions :). Right now it's more of a general question about my mixer.

It's a Studiomaster "16 into 8". I have also posted some pictures to make it easier to identify.

Each channel strip has an XLR in, and on the back there are 8 line ins, 8 line outs, and another pair of Line Outs and Line Ins. There are also foldback outputs, and a talkback mic input. The mixer has no phantom power, and I use an external box for that.

Is anyone familiar with those boards? I've been able to guess a few functions, but it seems like each of the busses can function in multiple modes, plus the 8th V.U. can be used for P.F.M (which by experimenting I figured out to be pre-fader monitoring).

I am a bit lost, as the 'main' pair of Line Outs on the back, don't produce any sound no matter which mode is selected. And there is also the strange line ins which there are no faders for... Oh, and the bloody talkback only works in P.F.M.

I've found a manual for a newer model of 16:8:8/16:4:8 Studiomaster mixers, but almost everything is done differently there, plus it's got a number of ins per channel while I only have an XLR for each one.

I've been able to use group 1 as the main out for simple analog summing from Cubase, but I realize there is so much more I could do with the board, and yet I have no clue how. I will try to find manuals for any similar mixers from that era (one website has SM manuals for sale which they claim date back "all the way to 1979"; mine's not on there, so I guess it's a pre-1979?), as some functions must be similar. But if there is anyone familiar with these ones, give me a shout! I'll buy you a beer or something.
Last edited by Dmitry Kichenko on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:36 pm

Here is a more detailed description, in case someone came across similar functionality.

Each group has an REM/REC switch. Whenever I have something connected into channel 1-8, switching to REM produces silence, while in REC mode I can hear the signal through that particular group. However, if I hook a mic up into channel 9 or greater, toggling the switch back and forth has no effect - I hear the signal at all times.

Each group also has a 3-position switch (right above the fader - LO and LI). LO and LI are obviously line in and out. The middle position of the switch, however, is a mystery. Perhaps, it just means off, since it's not labelled?

Also, if the group channel is used as a line in channel for something like a synth, that must mean that there's got to be a master group of some sort where all the signals are routed. Line out, however, is silent, no matter what or where I plug my source.

I figured out what P.F.M. does, but I still have trouble understanding why I'd need it. I'm sure I'll find out quite soon, along with Foldback, which right now I don't understand either. For a separate phones mix, maybe?

EDIT: Oh oh, one more thing. Turning on the 1khz oscillator does produce sound through the 'main' line out on the back, which makes me sure that it's my fault that I don't hear any sound, and not the board's. Right?

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:32 am

Well, those pictures of the back jacks ain't too sharp.

One possibility for a mystery switch is that it might divert the line in signal from the simple submix return to the channel of the same number, which would be better to mixdown through.

f'rinstance: during tracking, you would just monitor the tape through the returns, but then for fianl mixdown, a flick of a switch and the tape track would then go down a channel stip where you could insert, delay unit send, and eq, etc...

The soundcraft 600 is like that- the tape returns above the submixer faders are okay to monitor the tape during tracking and overdubbing, but when you mixdown for real, a simple push of the "Line" button on a channel, the tape track of that number appears at a full channel without tedious repatching (provided you haven't overridden this feature by using the channels actual "Line" input.)

This may, or may not, be similar to what is going on with your board switches.

email this guy- he just posted about his Studiomaster 16-8 the other day.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/11/28/235116/87
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:14 am

Thanks man! I'll contact him.

As to the switch, that sounds neat, but I wonder how I would use insert FX with this. I guess I'll have to repatch them manually every time.

Also, even when flipping the switch, there is still nothing coming out of line out.. Which is strange.

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 am

I've uploaded a few more pictures I took after breakfast today.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dmitrykiche ... 6813020274

I apologize but I didn't have the time to set up proper lighting, reflectors and stuff :).

And don't forget to press the small magnifying glass at the top right corner of the image to zoom in. It's kind of small, and I myself didn't notice it there at first.

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:53 am

I had a Studiomaster Mixdown 16:8 that looks very much like a newer version of the board you have. Going from memory the line outs are essentially your Bus/Tape outs and the line ins are your Tape Monitor Returns.

I'm not sure of the nomenclature, so I'm gonna guess here: With the switch in the REC position the Fader will control the level of the signal going out the group outs and the Monitor Knob will control the level of the signal coming back in through the Line Ins. When you change the switch to the REM position the functions fader and knob are flipped, so now the fader controls the tape return and the knob controls the bus outs, much like the channel strips on an inline console. I could be wrong though as I haven't used that board in several years.

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:48 am

blunderfonics wrote:I had a Studiomaster Mixdown 16:8 that looks very much like a newer version of the board you have. Going from memory the line outs are essentially your Bus/Tape outs and the line ins are your Tape Monitor Returns.

I'm not sure of the nomenclature, so I'm gonna guess here: With the switch in the REC position the Fader will control the level of the signal going out the group outs and the Monitor Knob will control the level of the signal coming back in through the Line Ins. When you change the switch to the REM position the functions fader and knob are flipped, so now the fader controls the tape return and the knob controls the bus outs, much like the channel strips on an inline console. I could be wrong though as I haven't used that board in several years.
Spot on. That's what the outs and the REM/REC switch appear to be doing :). Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out the main buss issue. I mean, that's fine if I have a multi-track hooked up to the line outs, I can go to tape. But what if I want to go to a mastering/bouncing 2-track? Hmm

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:06 pm

I see a 2 track line in and out on the back... that's where the mixdown deck gets connected. The speakers/monitors go off the XLRs.

Or maybe I got that backwards... Here's how to tell what's what- If the red "Monitor" Volume knob, just to the left makes the PGM audio go up and down in volume, you have the right jacks. If that knob doesn't affect the volume going to your speakers, then you got it wrong.

Here's the concept: You should be able to lower and raise the volume of your mix without affecting the signal level going to your Mixdown deck.

Hey- I just noticed that there's no Master LR fader on that thing! Cool!
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:23 am

Roboburger wrote:I just noticed that there's no Master LR fader on that thing! Cool!
I know, I said the same to myself. Only I kind of a had a face like this on: :?

Oh well, the more limitations, the better. I'm a bit sick of the "20 million tracks, 200 effects per channel" digital world :).

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:13 pm

I think I figured it out :).

Foldback in this case (the headphones+the single XLR out on the back) is the headphones mix for the 'star', with the Foldback knob on each channel varying the amount of signal going to the phones, and not a pre-fader send like it is for some other consoles. When pressing the Talkback button, you can indeed hear yourself if listening through the foldback headphone out/XLR out.

However, the pair of monitor XLRs and the other headphone out is for the engineer's monitors. The amount of each channel and bus heard through the monitors is changed by turning the Monitor knob, which indeed does not affect the actual signal output through the line outs - that's changed by the faders. That is also the reason why you have to press both Talkback and the Folback's "mon" button on the mixer to hear yourself speak in the mic, and that only works in the Prefader Monitoring mode - normally the engineer would be shy, so he wouldn't want to hear himself. When listening through the Foldback outs, on the other hand, the Talkback button let's the star hear yourself give him/her instructions/rants/life advice.

Makes more sense now!

Thanks a lot!