Recommend an ipod mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Recommend an ipod mic?

Post by percussion boy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:33 pm

I notice a couple companies are making stereo mics for the big new ipods. Anyone used 'em? Recommendations? Thanks.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

ipod mic

Post by ideaofnorth » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:46 pm

i got the belkin tunetalk pro. very useful but distorted fairly heavily at a show i tried recording. might have to use the line-in and a separate mic for loud shows.

otherwise, it sounds pretty great, and is amazingly convenient. replacing an old sharp md recorder, and an old cassette dictaphone.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:16 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out. No way to set recording level in an Ipod, huhn?

Nice Glen Gould handle, btw . . .

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

Post by ideaofnorth » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:30 pm

nope. no level control, metering, or anything really. the TTP has a sort of built in limiter that i think is used to raise the volume of lectures, because it sounded like ass when recording music. otherwise, crazy convenient. record, and then drag the WAV file from the ipod like any external harddrive.

good luck...

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:49 pm

I believe you can plug an external mic into the Belkin TuneTalk. Perhaps this might help with the distortion. Perhaps not.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:06 pm

Thanks for the info.

Apple's smart, wonder why they haven't exploited the possibility of selling a recording ipod, like Sony did with the old Pro Walkmans. If they added the ability to meter onscreen, set levels, and limit, they'd have a nice package.

thedonwood
audio school graduate

Post by thedonwood » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:11 pm

Well I just bought the Griffin iTalk for my wife for XMAS.
It can do 16/44.1 and 8-bit 22k for longer length.
Here's from their site
"iTalk?s twin built-in mics record directly to your iPod, and adjustable gain settings give you control over the volume. You can even use external microphones with iTalk Pro. Just plug your mic into the 3.5mm jack on the bottom of iTalk Pro"
I will report back after the holidays as to the sound.
AKG, Neumann, B&K, EV ->
Avalon Pre->
Apogee Rosetta 800->
DP 7.2->
HR824's

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:23 pm

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead...anyone have further info on either one of these ipod recording dealies? The ones that look interesting are the Belkin Tunetalk Stereo, and the Griffin iTalk Pro. Both allow you to record stereo 16/44.1 and both have a pair of what I can only assume are crappy lil mics built in. But more importantly both have a stereo mic input. seems like these might be a good idea as an alternative to something like the little Edirol R-09, which is the other thing I'm looking at for casual field recording.
Anyone?

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:51 am

I have the Griffin italk pro hooked up to my new Nano. I use a Sony ECM-CS10 stereo lavelier. I mostly use it for notes and sketches, and it sounds great, and is SUPER convenient. I've even started to dump the voice memo files into Ableton Live to start tunes. I was going to post on the amazingness of this little rig for low-level recording, but uh, I haven't.

I haven't used it to record live shows yet, so I can't report on that. I used a Sharp MiniDisc for notes and shows for years, and now have a box of full disks to weed through. I wonder if anyone's figured out recrding level with Linux for ipod?

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

A Reminder
audio school graduate

Post by A Reminder » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:28 pm

I don't know anything about specific mics, but I'd really recommend installing iPod Linux if you want to make good recordings - I'm not sure if this is true anymore, but the Apple firmware used to cap at a low bitrate, and iPL allowed you to record at better settings and have control over your levels etc.

Their site is here but it is often down so don't be suprised if you can't get it first try.

logey
gettin' sounds

Post by logey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:35 pm

A Reminder wrote:I don't know anything about specific mics, but I'd really recommend installing iPod Linux if you want to make good recordings - I'm not sure if this is true anymore, but the Apple firmware used to cap at a low bitrate, and iPL allowed you to record at better settings and have control over your levels etc.
Actually you don't need Linux to get 16/44.1 anymore, but control over your recording levels would be nice. Does Linux allow you to still use it as a music player?...I doubt you could sync it with Itunes anymore, but I wouldn't mind just managing the content as a "drive".

wenley
takin' a dinner break

blue mikey

Post by wenley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Has anyone tried this thing?

http://www.bluemic.com/mikey/

I'm thinking of ordering one just for capturing song ideas. If anyone has any firsthand experience I'd love to know about it. Thanks!