what software are you using for burning your bounced files?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

what software are you using for burning your bounced files?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 am

just curious. i've been using iTunes and just configuring the import settings to suit the file type, but i'd like to try something else.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:53 am

I run bounces through Peal 4 LE / Ozone3 (dither/limiter) and then burn with Toast.

Jeff

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:08 am

Are we talking about quickly dumping rough mixes, or something for making the final copy to send to duplication?

For roughs, I use some Roxie software that came with my drive.

For sending to duplication, I've been using Exact Audio Copy to burn. It isn't easy to use, and the burning functions are a bit hidden, but it allows you to manually setup your track markers and gaps and writes cdtext. It is free too.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: what software are you using for burning your bounced fil

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:38 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:i've been using iTunes and just configuring the import settings to suit the file type
See my post in your other thread, here.
As for reference discs, there's nothing wrong with iTunes for burning. If you want to be assured of true RedBook, you should use something like Toast with Jam or CD Architect.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: what software are you using for burning your bounced fil

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:i've been using iTunes and just configuring the import settings to suit the file type
See my post in your other thread, here.
As for reference discs, there's nothing wrong with iTunes for burning. If you want to be assured of true RedBook, you should use something like Toast with Jam or CD Architect.
what is Jam exactly? i was trying to find out what it does online, but all it talks about is something related to DJing.

i'm familiar w/ toast.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Jam is an extension of Toast, that allows full PQ subcode editing, as well as crossfades and fade-ins and -outs.

I'm not sure what it's got to do with DJing, although one could use it to make great mix CDs. I've used CD Architecht in such a fashion...

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:38 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:Jam is an extension of Toast, that allows full PQ subcode editing, as well as crossfades and fade-ins and -outs.
thanks again. so it's not really necessary for burning reference copies to send to mastering or duplication or whathaveyou, just more options.
I'm not sure what it's got to do with DJing, although one could use it to make great mix CDs. I've used CD Architecht in such a fashion...
i think making the mix CDs was the marketing geared towards DJs. that's what it sounded like to me.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:45 pm

I wouldn't send CDs made in iTunes or Toast or something to be replicated. It's just that you have little control over the spacing between tracks, and that I'm leery of burning programs that don't let you edit the Index 0 (prgap/track end ID) and Index 1 (Track Start ID) down to the CD frame. Jam will let you, Toast/iTunes won't.

And, of course, one should always send data files on CD-R, not audio discs, to mastering. Data files have error correction. Audio CDs don't, when it comes to the actual audio data.

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:20 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote: And, of course, one should always always always send data files on CD-R, not audio discs, to mastering. Data files have error correction. Audio CDs don't, when it comes to the actual audio data.
[/b]

finleysound
pluggin' in mics

Post by finleysound » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:58 pm

Anyone else using Waveburner (bundled with Logic)? It is a little clunky, but seems to work fine...after you've had to rebuild your entire project THREE times.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:09 pm

I usually use Exact Audio Copy, although occasionally I burn projects right out of Audition. On even fewer occasions, I use the burning software that came with my drive. Sonic DX or whatever it was called. I'm not that computer and I can't remember the full name. EAC's nice because it gives you a lot of control, although you have to set up the disc in a text file to get full control.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:15 pm

I like Nero.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Timetogrind
audio school graduate

Post by Timetogrind » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:57 pm

vvv wrote:I like Nero.
I burn everything with nero(becuse thats all I have).I should look into something else.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm

I use Nero on my PCs for data archiving - my favorite program for that. Never really delved into their Audio CD features... will look at them sometime, but I am such a CD Architecht fan when it comes to PC softs...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Jam.

I use toast for DATA discs/ DVD's, and Jam for audio listeners.

Data goes to mastering on a DVD, or a hard drive.