TO Ribbon or Equiv

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gutsofgold
pushin' record

TO Ribbon or Equiv

Post by gutsofgold » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 pm

I'm looking for a TapeOp ribbon or equivalent mic. Does anyone know what exactly the TO is? I'd assume it's a rebranded mic of somesort?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:39 pm

It was a group purchase we did a while back where we imported a large pile of the mics straight from the Chinese manufacturer. They are the same as those branded by Nady, Apex, and many sooo many others.
The deal was brokered very well by Garth at Pacific Pro Audio and they now sell the mics as the PPA R-One so I would be remiss if I didn't recommend you look for one there.

-Jeremy

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:52 pm

its also the same as the Nady ribbon - Nady actually was the first to produce this ribbon in china - they taught them how to build the mics, then the company went and sold them behind their back.

either way, its the same mic no matter where you get it - the only thing special about the TO one is the lack of logo, and the fact that it was $100
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:42 pm

Some say the lollipop Cascade Ribbons are o.k. as well..... about $150 apiece. I'm not sure how they compare but the shape is interesting.

.... I'll take 2 and I can pay!
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:46 pm

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:42 pm

I've been meaning to check out the Shinybox ribbons but I can't decide if I want the 23 or 46? Is the 46 really worth the extra cash? What about the transformers...in the end would I be dissapointed if I didn't get a better transformer in it?

ampguy
buyin' a studio

i am not sure

Post by ampguy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:40 am

if there is much difference between the modded ones and the stock apex 205, but i'd be interested in hearing of any.
gutsofgold wrote:I've been meaning to check out the Shinybox ribbons but I can't decide if I want the 23 or 46? Is the 46 really worth the extra cash? What about the transformers...in the end would I be dissapointed if I didn't get a better transformer in it?

Madguitrst
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Madguitrst » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:40 pm

I have one of the group buy Ribbon mics that was modded by Michael Joly I'm going to be selling.......and a Karma Audio K6 too.

In all, I had two of each and really don't need two of each.........so.......I'm going to sell one of each.....I think......

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.
The Madguitrst has left the building.

amyatt1
ass engineer

Post by amyatt1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:35 pm

Any news on a new group buy? Or how one might get one going for something?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:25 pm

By the way,

The Apex 210 is only $115 at fullcompass. Same exact mic as the TO group buy, and only $15 more than the Group Buy price. Not bad I'd say!

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:22 am

I just got a Shinybox 23 for one of the studios I work at. I tried it out for the first time the other day on a female pop vocalist. It was nothing short of amazing. I ran it through a UA LA-610 with a little compression and no eq and was so excited. Better still, the client was really excited. She was very happy with how it sounded and immediately booked more time. I think we're going to sell of one of our other mics so that we can buy a second 23. I'm excited about having a stereo pair for drum overheads and our baby grand piano. SHINYBOX!

-doc

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:49 pm

i've got a nady rsm 2, and it's IMPRESSIVE.

i like it straight out of the box. it needs a little of the lows cut out, but that's the same with almost all ribbons.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:45 pm

doc wrote:I just got a Shinybox 23 for one of the studios I work at. I tried it out for the first time the other day on a female pop vocalist. It was nothing short of amazing. I ran it through a UA LA-610 with a little compression and no eq and was so excited. Better still, the client was really excited. She was very happy with how it sounded and immediately booked more time. I think we're going to sell of one of our other mics so that we can buy a second 23. I'm excited about having a stereo pair for drum overheads and our baby grand piano. SHINYBOX!
Hey Doc - Is that the stock 23, or one of the ones with a tranny upgrade?

I picked up an apex 410 as a clearance sale a few weeks ago and just tried it out for a few bars of acoustic guitar to make sure it was working, and liked it right away - though it's a little boomy in the low end. I'm just in the middle of modding it with a Cinemag 9888 transformer which I hope will tighten the sound up a little, but even stock it's a great mic for the money.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:54 am

The one I got is a stock 23. I wish we had the money for a "C" or "L" model, but the studios I work for are non-profit. They are in teen centers and are designed to give provide teens with quality, affordable recording. I love the program and have a lot of fun with the teens, however, we also have next to zero budget because of being non-profit. The Shinybox 23 we got from a band who decided to buy us a new mic in exchange for studio time.

-doc

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:09 pm

I'd originally decided to order a transformer from CineMag based on the TapeOp review of the ShinyBox 23C. Just finished the mod this morning - ended up using a few zip-ties to secure the tranny as the stock screws don't fit the cinemag 9888 - and used it to record a few tests into Pro Tools.

This mic is smooth, especially in the high end. The lows can be a little boomy still but I find them less flabby with the cinemag. Putting it on acoustic guitar was a pleasant surprise, it sounded smooth and mellow without the honk of a dynamic mic or the zingy fizz of a condensor. Can't wait to try it out on guitar cabs, hand percussion, kick, bass, any whatever else. I'd say $40 well spent.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com