Recording Electric gutiar...direct from guitar and mic'd amp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

will.record.for.food
gimme a little kick & snare

Recording Electric gutiar...direct from guitar and mic'd amp

Post by will.record.for.food » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:35 pm

OK.

I mostly record my own stuff. I'm recording a band that I know doesn't have the best amps.

Heres my question..(and I know its possible, but I don't know if I can do it with MY equipment). Ive got an Edirol UA-1000 (10 in, 10 out interface), a tascam M30 mixer and a Digitech multifx (with modeling)

Is there a way to split the guitar signal straight out of the guitar so I can record a "dry" track AND send it to an amp at the same time? Then (in case I cant get the crappy amps to sound good), is there a way to take that dry signal and feed it back through a modeling interface (like Pod XTL or DigiTech pedal).

I know there is the reamp thingy, but I dont have that. Any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks

-Jeff
http://www.purevolume.com/goodfightgoodnight
Torches together, hand in hand

wayout
ass engineer

Post by wayout » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:25 pm

How about a "Y" cable ... 1 to the interface, the other to the amp...
Mic the amp and record it and the direct to two seperate tracks.

Then send the direct signal out of your interface thru output 3 (or whatever, just not the main outputs) on your interface to your simulator, and the output of the simulator to another track?
You dont need a reamp box unless you are sending the direct signal back out to a real amp.

If your interface doesnt have "instrument" inputs, you might want to use a direct box to record the direct guitar...

Jason L

will.record.for.food

Post by will.record.for.food » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 am

Ok,

So from the Y cable, 1 can go to the amp, and 1 can go direct into the Hi-Z input of my UA1000?

I could take that dry signal and run it into a processor without any problems?

But I would need a reamp box if I wanted to take that dry recorded sound and run it through an amp?

Thanks
-Jeff
http://www.purevolume.com/goodfightgoodnight
Torches together, hand in hand

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:05 am

Also, an inexpensive passive DI box will allow you to use the direct output to your edirol and you can run the Thru Jack to the amp. Then use the passive DI in reverse to reamp later. $35 to $40 for a decent GT passive DI last time I bought one. Cheaper ones are available too but I'm not naming any names.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

2121TrumbullAve

yes

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:02 am

any decent DI box with a 'through' jack on it. one signal to amp, other to interface.
*insert pricey DAW specs here

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

hoverboards don't work on water

Post by nopenopenope » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:13 am

Won't the passive DI steal part/half/most of the signal, even when using the throughput jack? That DI's output has to come from somewhere, and since it's passive, that somewhere is the instrument's signal for sure. Plus you'd be adding a $35-$40 piece of equipment into your signal chain that might be avoidable.

There was an advertisement I read in Mix (?) for a mic preamp. The advertiser was saying that you should buy their preamp because there's no "undo" for a preamp. what's recorded is final and there's no amount of software or EQ that can make up for the lost/distorted signal. Period. Now, that didn't make me go buy their preamp but it did get me to think more actively about signal chain. (I swear this is going somewhere).

You've said these guys coming in don't have the best gear. Are you saying that in a polite fashion (they've got cheap practice amps?) or in the literal sense (he's got an AC30, but not a vintage AC30). If you're being polite, you've got to decide if it's even worth the trouble to mic the amp if you know that it's not what you need. If you know that their amp isn't going to cut it, I would suggest DI into your UA-1000 instead of a cheap passive DI thrown in perhaps unnecessarily. Just try anything and everything before you add something that you know is cheap into the signal path. Maybe your S/N ration will go up from the box... and the signal out of the box is also quieter so it needs some gain - more noise possibly. Then it might need some EQ which could possibly bring out the noise even more... Or just go straight into the UA-1000 and decide later if you need to reamp using one of the auxiliary outputs on the UA. Then you'll want that passive DI to get the signal back up to High-Z.

Granted, it'd be nice if he had that vintage and well-kept AC-30.

Best of luck to you! :D

2121TrumbullAve

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:35 am

i meant an active DI box, lke something from radial, but that may not be an option, as they cost a bit.
*insert pricey DAW specs here

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:21 am

oh absolutely. the radial DIs are pretty sweet. Kenny was suggesting a passive DI I thought, that's why i said that.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Re: hoverboards don't work on water

Post by Wilkesin » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:39 pm

JoshSites wrote: There was an advertisement I read in Mix (?) for a mic preamp. The advertiser was saying that you should buy their preamp because there's no "undo" for a preamp. what's recorded is final and there's no amount of software or EQ that can make up for the lost/distorted signal. Period. :D
That add was for a Millenia preamp...got to use one of another engineers at a session the other day. Super nice...probably not affordable given the situation though.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".