Laws?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

asitfalls
studio intern

Laws?

Post by asitfalls » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:07 pm

When i have got some of my new stuff i want to set up a website and start making money by recording other people other than myself. is the any law or like thing i have to do before i start taking money of people?

xxx

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:32 pm

Depending on your state, you'll need a sales tax license, regardless of whether or not sales tax applies to your services.

You may also need a building occupation permit and various business licenses from your local and state goverment.

Then you will need to pay the "right to work" nuisance tax if you don't have a day job that already covers it.

Once you file for your various business permits, the city or county where you live will want to send a zoning and/or codes officer to inspect your "facility", unless you are set-up inside a residence, so rule number one here is "the less your local zoning/codes officials know the better". If you can register all the necessary tax licenses and somehow skip the building occupancy permits and zoning BS without raising the proverbial red flags with your local government, you'll be better off in the long run.

ALSO make sure you abide by rule number two and make sure that your IRS returns are flawless, since the IRS can make your life miserable if they want to (just ask Ronald Isley). Don't be afraid to hire an accountant if need be.

Also, if you are located in a residence, do not include your home address in your advertising for security reasons.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:33 pm

If you want to be legit, it would be best to file for a state business license (cheap, at most $50), get an entertainment lawyer (a roughly $250 retainer), get an accountant that can understand deductions, depreciation, and service income (roughly $250 a year).

Then you'll be set. The license is a one time cost, my lawyer I haven't had to use in over 10 years, and the only incurring cost is the yearly accountant at roughly $250 a year (Feb-March tax time).

It's best to go that route if your recording payment is more than 40% of your annual income. But that's even pushing it... if you claim less than $10,000 in a given year (including a "regular" job) there's the possibility of an IRS red-flag especially if it goes on for more than a few years (if there isn't more than one house-hold income earner - with property).

Overall, a good accountant is best and always check references.

Even though I have a business license, a lawyer, and an accountant, all I've really dealt with over the last 10 out of 12+ years is my accountant. And I've got some sweet deductions, but yet again my income is 100% from recording.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:09 pm

Do they have states in England?

Professor

Post by Professor » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:19 pm

Yeah, everything they just said, but for the county you are living in, or maybe it is only a national thing.
There are a few other Brits on the board here, you might want to look up 'bobbydj' and contact him via a private message. I'm not sure that he'll be able to answer anything specifically, but he'll be closer than any of us. Though I will say the biggest danger most guys skirt with here is risking the government coming down on them for tax evasion, or some client suing them out of house & home because they are uninsured, or operating a business which has not separated personal vs. business assets. Of course, America is far more 'sue-happy' than England, at least the England I remember, but you guys might have us on the taxation department.

"It's a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for." -Will Rogers, ca. 1900.

-Jeremy

asitfalls
studio intern

Post by asitfalls » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:39 am

I don't think we have states here lo.

the thing is, im 15...... and ive alredy had people offering to give me money for recording there stuff and i just wondered if there was any thing i'd have to do.

thanks for your replys.

xx

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:46 pm

i basically do the same as you. I have a few clients who only come in like every other week for like an hour or two. I dont have a business license or anything cause im not really raking in enough money to make it worth while. Its more of a "hobby" which i plan on trying to do full time later in life if i am lucky enough. Though i wonder if that is breaking the law? Meh.

asitfalls
studio intern

Post by asitfalls » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:43 am

Kool!

how much do you charge. if u don't mind me asking

xx

Professor

Post by Professor » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:55 am

Ah well see, that probably does make a slight difference since you're likely too young to obtain a business license even if you wanted one.
If the laws are similar there regarding taxes then you are probably "supposed" to file tax forms and such. And I would be remiss if I told you to ignore that and break the law. But let's face it, there's really no difference between what you are doing and maybe having a paper delivery route, or mowing your neighbors backgarden. And if your recording clients are your age as well, then I wouldn't get too panic-stricken about them suing you or anything either.
Enjoy this time while you can, and get more serious about it once you're 18.

-Jeremy

asitfalls
studio intern

Post by asitfalls » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:58 am

It would be people my ageish.

thankyou jeremy:)

I love this forum.
x

Professor

Post by Professor » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:59 am

Yeah, when everyone is in high school, and you're only charging 20 quid a song, I think you're safely under the radar. Just go rawk!

-J

asitfalls
studio intern

Post by asitfalls » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:49 pm

jeremy, To record more than 1 track at a time would i have to get a soundcard with enougth imputs on and just run the channel outputs in to that? or is there a esyer way of doing it?

Thnaks.

xx

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:06 am

asitfalls wrote:Kool!

how much do you charge. if u don't mind me asking

xx
15 bucks an hour. gonna raise that up to 20 or 25 as soon as i get some new converters and some better pres and mices

asitfalls
studio intern

Post by asitfalls » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:20 am

Is it better to by nice pre amps or use the ones on my mixer for the moment?

xx

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:11 am

what kind of mixer do you got. It will prolly be worth it to get a decent preamp. What kind of music do you record, im just curious. Im going to be using the pres on my board now cause i think they are decent sounding tho i havent compared it to what ive been using.

If the preamps on your mixer are crappy or noisy than it might be worth it to get a preamp. I got one pre that i use for everything, but i only record one thing at a time and dont do full bands yet.