Synth opinion

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Synth opinion

Post by operator_tape » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:09 pm

Just wanted a opinion from you guys on which synth would be worth keeping and which one would be good to let go, I am a little confused and I want to trade one of the synths for the Rode NT2A and I am not sure which to keep or not. Any suggestions would be recommended.

Synths:

Yamaha DX7 - I think I am keeping this regardless
Roland JV-880 - I think I am going to get ride of this one
Korg 03r/w- it has more features then the roland but still untilizes the same technology as the roland (Wavetable synthesis)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:42 pm

Keep the DX7. Of the other two, the 880 is just a 1080 with fewer waveforms and features. Dump it. The 03R/W ain't so hot either, but is marginally better- at least the m1 piano is on there.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:58 pm

minimoog! :D

Just kiddin'!

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:41 pm

Speaking of DX7, what's up with all the low prices on it? Is this a temporary "uncoolness' of synth, just like we've had happen with all the monophonic analog synths back in the late 80s, when digital and poly were the sh-t, and mono and analog were ugly and boring?

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:13 am

Compared to analog, they're harder to program, and many more of them were made than any particular analog board. So, less demand + lots of supply = low prices.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:05 am

Hmm, but there are several software synths now that load DX7 patches and sound a lot better...less noise, etc.

I would keep the synth that feels the best to play.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Re: Synth opinion

Post by ampguy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:36 am

i would trade them for a roland d-50 (or d550)

operator_tape wrote:Just wanted a opinion from you guys on which synth would be worth keeping and which one would be good to let go, I am a little confused and I want to trade one of the synths for the Rode NT2A and I am not sure which to keep or not. Any suggestions would be recommended.

Synths:

Yamaha DX7 - I think I am keeping this regardless
Roland JV-880 - I think I am going to get ride of this one
Korg 03r/w- it has more features then the roland but still untilizes the same technology as the roland (Wavetable synthesis)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:17 am

inverseroom wrote:Hmm, but there are several software synths now that load DX7 patches and sound a lot better...less noise, etc.

Yep.

Dmitry Kichenko
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dmitry Kichenko » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:28 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:Compared to analog, they're harder to program, and many more of them were made than any particular analog board. So, less demand + lots of supply = low prices.
Okay, I think I'll get one, and sell it in 2043 for a few grand.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:03 am

sell 'em all and get something different!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:10 am

inverseroom wrote:Hmm, but there are several software synths now that load DX7 patches and sound a lot better...less noise, etc.

I just got a TX-802, and I have to say, it pretty much kills FM7. It's dirtier, but way more alive and quirky. I imagine an original dx-7 is even more so. I do know that the low end on a dx-7 can flatten a truck w/ the right patch.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah I think that in the end the roland JV-880 is going to go. Thanks for all your time.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:

I just got a TX-802, and I have to say, it pretty much kills FM7. It's dirtier, but way more alive and quirky. I imagine an original dx-7 is even more so. I do know that the low end on a dx-7 can flatten a truck w/ the right patch.
I've always kinda wanted one of those...

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:40 pm

dump the korg and roland.
get a roland SH-32. and have some extra cash (nintendo wii?)
if you need real sounds. think about something like NI's kontakt..
i think i use my SH-32 more then my nord. and the SH-32 goes for way cheap. the filter steps like crazy.. but you can pick these up really cheap. and sound great recorded imo. i like to run mine though amps.. sounds super.. just drops right in the mix. from sub bass (witch its extra good at) to dog hearing shit.
knobs and sliders for almost every thing.. real easy to program.

panda

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:43 pm

jeez you make me want to bust that sh-32 out again. i used it for a while for gigging cause its uh.. cheap and easy to use, but never thought of it as a recording synth...

dumb me.