Hi-Fi speaker advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Hi-Fi speaker advice

Post by Jeff White » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:28 pm

To all the Vintage Hi-Fi junkies on here...

I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend some decent speakers for a 1969 Sansui model 2000 Receiver. I've had my heart set on a pair of Yamaha NS-6490s, like I use with my 1976 Pioneer SX-650. It's a great system to check mixes on.

Anyway, I bought the Sansui model 2000 for my gf for the holidays. Can't seem to find any NS6490s from eBayers that I trust. Any other speakers in the $100 or under range that any of you would recommend? I believe that the Sansui is rated at either 25 or 35 watts.

Much appreciated.

Jeff

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:32 pm

fisher speakers are pretty good. i have a set of those from the 70's....they sound nice.
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:52 pm

Dynaco A-25's!!

I think they were a company in Denmark that made them in the 60's and 70's. A friend (who's a nut about hi-fi listening) bought a pair a while ago to go with his Marantz and Scott amplifiers and they sounded incredible!

They were a popular brand and you can find them on Ebay all the time usually around $100. The only I might recommend would be to re-cap them.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:28 pm

I have a couple of old large Advent speakers that still sound pretty good, especially at low volume. I use them to check mixes. Not for mixing. I bought mine at a yard sale for $50.00 for the pair.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:48 pm

Really depends on the size of your room. My living room is huge, with high ceilings, and I love my Altec Valencias. Smaller room -> smaller speakers.