Sure SM7 - What do you like it on & why?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:23 am

I've been using this mic for my main vocals lately. I started using it for backing vox
tracks because it sits right into a mix at low levels and doubles super easy. but for
a single vocal track I almost always start with my sm7b. haven't tried it on acoustic
but I love Jeff Lynne so I guess I'll be trying that! I find it to be very forgiving with
my vocal style (i'm not a great singer) and my dynamics and it works really well
with my FMR limiter. It's not an intimidating mic for vocals; sometimes I get
behind a ribbon or a really nice tube mic and I don't want to spit, curse & moan on
them and the performance can suffer. but the sm7b is a tank. I recommend removing
the foam pop filter and getting/making a round pop filter for this mic. the foam
ones that come with it don't really do much except make that scratchy, squeeky
sound when you touch them. ghhha.

jx
gettin' sounds

Post by jx » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:04 am

logey wrote:
jx wrote:... mine's served time on kick, snare, overhead, acoustic guitar (the jeff lynne trick),
ok JX...I'll bite. Whats the "jeff lynne trick"? I read your post and then searched this and a couple other forums and can't find a thing...related to acoustic guitar recording anyway! Can you point me to somewhere I can read about it?

Thanks!
hi Logey

for the ELO stuff Lynne produced, one of his 'things' was recording acoustic guitars (the more stummy parts anyway) with a dynamic mic, so it's less detailed- more rhythmic, like a shaker. i don't think it's just Lynne; phil spector used to do the same thing, crowding a bunch of guitarists (all playing the same part) around a dynamic or ribbon (see 'My Sweet Lord"). i've seen daniel lanois record acoustics with a 57 too...

Jeff also used to record drums down a long corridor, or at the bottom of a lift shaft, to get the 'cement mixer behind the beat' stylings of Bev Bevan. or maybe he just wanted him far far away...

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:34 am

Do you guys tend to leave it flat or do you use the roll-off and/or mid boost?
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 am

RoyM wrote:Do you guys tend to leave it flat or do you use the roll-off and/or mid boost?
I use mine flat with my voice. I've used the mid/roll switches on other things
though. like on kick I would roll & mid boost but I don't love the sm7 on kick.
I may apply some eq on it if needed, before or after, depending on the mix.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:07 pm

My SM7b makes my voice sound the way my voice sounds in my head. For that I am eternally grateful.

mcmurrich
audio school graduate

Post by mcmurrich » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:55 pm

bass gtr. when a bass has to compete and needs some punch but i don't want to hear the strings/fret slides etc. it always seems to work.

some of the best vocal tracks i've ever recorded. big and clear.

i love that i can roll off or boost if called for.

compresses well
stand by. we're rolling.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:10 am

Wow, I knew people liked the SM7, but I had no idea that it was this well liked. Makes me glad that I own one!

Anybody try it on banjo or violin?
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:38 am

i use it on everything too. i do a lot of recordings for myself, one track at a time, where the only mic i use is the sm7b. i just leave it up and aim it at whatever im playing. my only complaint is that it does need a ton of gain, much moreso than an sm58.

sometimes i use the low cut, not the presence boost really. usually it's flat. and, no, it doesnt need a shockmount haha. you can hold it in your hand and it's fine. it doesnt sound too good without the poofy attachment. not the super poofy one, i mean the regular more conical one. the big one's ok too though.

i also use it on vocals a lot.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:17 pm

Awe man... I love mine too! I have an early one (SM-7) prolly from late 70s. It is so thick and yet has the right detail. Sounds stupid to say this, but I hear "quality" in it. Whatever. I love it and I've used it on acustic guitars for a long time now as my weapon to get the late 60s/early 70s thick acoustic sounds I was never able to get. Doesn't suprise me that Jeff Lynn did the same thing. It sounds gorgious on vox too! Best $30 I ever spent.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:12 pm

$30???? how'd you pull that off?

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:50 am

The same way the Professor got his vintage Neumann condensor mics free... I was just in the right place at the right time. Actually, I spotted it in a pile of odds and sods. I knew it looked like a mic and then saw it said "Sure". I looked up the number sm-7 and realised that the reason it looked wierd to me was that the foam screen was rotted off and that I had actually seen these mics many times (this was before my education in recording). I saw that these go for a lot of $$$ on eBay and looked at Sure's site and found that the screens are still available cheap. I gave the guy $30 even after he said I could just have it, and ordered the screen. It's now one of my absolute favorite mics... period! If you all don't have one, get one! :wink: It's a MUST HAVE.

This is what is looked like when I first saw it...

And now...
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

DupleMeter
ass engineer

Post by DupleMeter » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:53 pm

parlormusic wrote:Wow, I knew people liked the SM7, but I had no idea that it was this well liked. Makes me glad that I own one!

Anybody try it on banjo or violin?
No...but love it on mandolin & acoustic guitar - makes them sound fat & clear. Other than that, it is my go to vocal mic because it just sounds so good on almost everyone's voice. Takes EQ & compression so well and has a texture that is just so organic which adds a lot when recording in the digital world.

tonejunkee
gettin' sounds

Post by tonejunkee » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Hey Folks, I used the SM7a through a Great RiverMP-1NV /Neve 1073----->mbox1/PC Laptop/PTLE7 for much of the vocals in my new album. Also borrowed a C12a for some vocals. I just had it mastered and packaged

Here is a link to the recording process

http://benlongmusic.com/Recording%20the%20CD.htm

Ben
http://www.myspace.com/benlong

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:05 pm

I like mine on vocals of both genders a lot...

I toured a few studios in the UK a couple years ago, and every studio had a SM7 set up on the high-hat...

Seems to be a big fad over there....

Haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a good choice.....
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler