Broken ART MP

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Broken ART MP

Post by blackdiscoball » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:05 pm

So I have one of the original Art Tube Mp's and one day I went and fired it up to use it, and the volume was like half of what it should be. So I took the top off (or bottom really) peaked around, no wires seemed to be off so I put it back together. Today on a hunch I decided to try putting a new tube in (a nicer one too) so i bought a sovetek tube put it in and same thing, half the volume it should be. Has anyone else had this problem? Does any one have any ideas about a possible fix? Im obviously not going to be putting a lot of money into it and I have other mic pres, I just really liked the Tube MP for DI bass, and If its in an easy fix, not reason not to. THanks for any help

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:42 pm

I have an MP, mine had a blown out capacitor. You might look again, checking for any caps with leaks, bulges, etc.

I'm trying to imagine what would cause the volume to be halved, I suppose a bad cap is a possibility, or maybe a failing power supply?

I'm pretty new to the electronic world, so my guesses are not very well-informed!

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:06 pm

Thanks, Ill peak around again. I just ordered another one on ebay so i will try that power supply when i get it. Ill peak around for any caps that look weird. Its really strange that it still works but limited volume, if the +20 gain isnt on, you dont hear anything at all and with it its not very loud, thanks for your help.