Recording Electric Bass DI: Tool - 10,000 Days

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aeonrevolution
alignin' 24-trk

Recording Electric Bass DI: Tool - 10,000 Days

Post by aeonrevolution » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few basic tips on recording Bass directly into the mixer.

I'm getting a decent generic bass sound right now just running the bass into the mixer and having the lows a hair up and the highs a hair up. I really love the tone on the new Tool album. It sounds rediculously powerful...is this just the drumming backing up the bass that is giving that allusion? It sounds like he is definitely using an amp to recording, not a DI.

Err anyways any tips you guys have would be appreciated. 8)
". . .here comes the sky. . . " - dead meadow

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:24 pm

have you seen this article? (previously posted on TOMB)

Fullstax
studio intern

Post by Fullstax » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:43 pm

Somewhere there is an article where Joe Baressi specifically talks about how he gets his low end. He said something to the effect of using three tracks for bass. One live amp sound, a re-amp, and a direct. He blends this togeher. Not sure if this is what happened on 10,000 days but probably something akin to that.

sammyp
audio school graduate

Re: Recording Electric Bass DI: Tool - 10,000 Days

Post by sammyp » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:42 pm

If at all possible, track a di signal and a cabinet mic signal - please! I don't know how it got so popular to talk about recording bass di only but it doesn't cut it for my ears. I remember reading several articles as a young guitar player where bands and bass players would say they just lined in to the board - i'm thinking of geddy lee in particular.....

anyhow, when you have a di signal as well as a mic'd signal you get that gut level low end far more naturally, you really feel it, you'll never go back...

and then there's reamping......
Sonar, Pro Tools , Sound Forge

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:04 am

Fullstax wrote:Somewhere there is an article where Joe Baressi specifically talks about how he gets his low end. He said something to the effect of using three tracks for bass. One live amp sound, a re-amp, and a direct. He blends this togeher. Not sure if this is what happened on 10,000 days but probably something akin to that.
That's surprising in a way - I thought Joe Baressi was pretty old-school. I'm thinking of an article I read about the last Queens of the Stone Age album he did, all tracked 'live' to 2" tape... The guy gets amazing sounds.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

Fullstax
studio intern

Post by Fullstax » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:37 pm

aeonrevolution
alignin' 24-trk

Post by aeonrevolution » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:02 pm

This is a bit of an offshoot from my original question, but what the hell.

I posted a clip of something I was screwing around with today on my myspace.

It just seems like no matter what instrument I'm recording, it seems distant and lacking the punch you here in a professional recording.

http://www.myspace.com/dimethmusic

Err....its saying Stream Failed so I guess it will take a bit for myspace to work its magic...
". . .here comes the sky. . . " - dead meadow

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:21 pm

The tone on the Tool rekkid seems like it's all about the amp sound. Something big, loud...DIRTY & grindy. Maybe an SVT (with a dirt box), more likely some kinda modded Marshall, Hiwatt...something tube and super gnarly. There might be some DI or other "cleaner" tone in there, most likely there was at least one printed to tape...

I had a chance to work with Joe WAAAAAAAAAY back...like just over a decade years ago when I was a really super green kid. lol He was doing allllllll kindz a stuff on EVERYTHING.

Very 'extreme' kinds of smoke & mirrors.

Chaning micamps together at mic level was a pretty standard trick...compressors...8 stompboxes at once with all kinds a EQ on it all...whudda got?!?! He had a deep toybox too...I know its grown...it's GOT to have! HAHA!

But with bass...he'd mult out the clean DI when mixing and send THAT through a pedal and filter that or whuddever...then mix all three or four tones around.

Sometimes they didn't all get used.

I learned a lot from him...fun fukkin' dude to hang out with too.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com