drum replacing software

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

frugalpole
studio intern

drum replacing software

Post by frugalpole » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:00 am

i'm wearing down. my world was turned upside down a week ago when i learned how dominant drum replacing is. so... but i'm hopeful. the fact that drum replacing is now the norm, means that i can generally accomplish as much in my little space as the big dogs can in there's. at least ... in theory.

any experience w/ this? software suggestions? how does it work well (ie good ways to record to make the replacement process most successful, ways to no to do it...),
etc.

loveless
alignin' 24-trk

Post by loveless » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:30 pm

I'm pretty sure Drumagog http://www.drumagog.com is going to do what you want. There may be some FREE alternatives, but I don't know of them. Hopefully some kind soul will post a link for you.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:34 pm

while you are there, check out the video of Shawn Pelton using Drumagog and BFD to make his apartment sound like a billion dollar studio...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:54 pm

I've been using drumagog for years now. great plug.
Copy the tracks you want to trigger from, and insert drumagog on them.
I create stereo tracks for the triggers even though the original kick and snare tracks are mono. That way the sample playback is stereo with the option to make it mono if needed.
Even though drumagog is supposed to be sample accurate, I usually still knock the trigger tracks back 1 - 3 ms until it feels solid. luckily my DAW (Nuendo) makes this incredibly easy with a time ajustment control.
Now you can audition and blend away until you get what you want.
I really try to blend the samples in to compliment the original sounds rather than replace them. Although with ultra fast metal it's pretty common to use no real kick or snare.
Good luck man,
Don't get too carried away and start replacing cymbals and shit! :)

boretronix
pluggin' in mics

Post by boretronix » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:38 am

How does software like this handle things like drum rolls, rim shots or anything else that's not a consistent snare hit?

boretronix
pluggin' in mics

Post by boretronix » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:32 am

How does software like this handle things like drum rolls, rim shots or anything else that's not a consistent snare hit?

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:00 am

For cheaper alternatives see this thread.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:21 pm

boretronix wrote:How does software like this handle things like drum rolls, rim shots or anything else that's not a consistent snare hit?
Drumagog handles drum rolls easily because it uses multi-sampled samples. Each sample group (or .gog file) consists of a few velocity layers, each layer having a few samples in it. Drumagog senses how hard the original snare was hit, picks a sample from the appropriate group and triggers it. Each velocity group has multiple samples in it that are randomly triggered so you don't get the 'machine gun' effect.

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:43 am

yeah for something like this... might as well treat yourself with something solid and will last you forever. it's very simple and with a few hours spent on it you become in expert in drum replacement.

what i usually do is get teh best source sound as possible. THEN i open up a new project file and have the drummer hit each drum in a crescendo so i can get a few more dynamics and then turn those into gog files (it's very easy to do in drumagog) and just ENHANCE the drummers performance. it makes the kick more consistent and the toms and snare more "hi-def".

i'm a cheapy and STILL decided to dish out money for drumagog.. and it's helped SOOO much.

another thing to do that's fun is find isolated drum hits on your favorite records and then steal the isolated track. so i have kick and snare sounds from my favorite bands... hahaha.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:26 am

I have a beginner question:

Would drum replacement be of any use if I'm recording an entire drum kit to 3 tracks? In other words, would the entire beat be played on a kick drum, or something?

(I'm still fairly limited in my mic setup)

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:03 am

Most of these tools include some filtering, which you can use to trigger on just one drum, even though your microphone might be picking up multiple drums. For example, if you are just doing overheads + kick, you can probably trigger your floor tom by putting a low pass filter on one of the overhead microphones. It is certainly easier to do drum replacement with every drum close miced, but it isn't required. Additionally, if you are going to wholesale replace all your drum audio, such that none of the originally remains, then the quality of your drum microphones no longer matters. Thus it may be within your budget to go buy 6 cheap-as-dirt microphones.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:12 pm

bedbug wrote:I have a beginner question:

Would drum replacement be of any use if I'm recording an entire drum kit to 3 tracks? In other words, would the entire beat be played on a kick drum, or something?

(I'm still fairly limited in my mic setup)
Everytime I have done something like this I have:

1. Make duplicates of the tracks
2. edited each track so it only has the hits of one drum
3. put Drumagog on each of those tracks and set it to the appropriate drum.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:03 am

I use drumagog, or soundreplacer when i need something like this. Totally handy to have a bunch of well recorded drums in a folder, especially if YOU recorded them. I love triggering a kick drum in the center ambient without the cymbal bleed. I use triggers for ambience mostly, not the drum itself. As slider said. I also use triggers to layer sounds rather than replace the original. I have made a bunch of samples myself of ambience, just to trigger that on the real snare or kick... room mics with no cymbals! Hooray! ;)

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

j

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:01 am

celemony's Melodyne will do this as well, but it's not automated like drumagog. It's more of a sound editor that works on some unique ways in that it takes sound files and basically turns them into midi which is endlessly manipulatable. Far superior to Autotune for that purpose, but I mostly use it to edit drum tracks, including snare/kick replacing. It's also great for fixing mistakes and making melodic alterations in tracks and things. It's worth looking at as a general app to have in your arsenal.

I generally only replace using drum hits I recorded myself. I find these blend in much more nicely. It's a little sad that drum replacing has become the norm, I guess, but whoever said it is right- it allows a person in a small space with little or no acoustics to compete with "the big boys".
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:00 pm

Replacing drums? While your at it why don't you get one of those virtual singers and record guitars with a POD. Hell, have the computer write your songs too while you're at it! What the fuc is wrong with people, drum replacement? What happened to the soul of music? Its NUANCE people, that is what makes something a human creation instead of some rubbish robotic sound. What happened to getting damn good performances and doing your job as an engineer correctly? Don't kid yourself by thinking that just because the 'big guys' use it that its ok to cheese out and make crap. Thats what all those songs with fake bull$hit are, CRAP! Make music, not commerce. I'm not some old fuddy duddy curmudgeon talking about what it was like back in the day. I'm under 30 and have been recording for about 6 years now, but it seems like I am in the minority here standing up against all this fakery. I use a DAW for recording and mixing but I use it as a tool not a crutch. I have gotten good drums sounds in the worst places before, it just takes hard work and time. But at the end of it I have something to be proud of. Who is proud of their drum-a-bull$hit plugin? The real question is do you want to sound unique or do you want to be another hapless clone?
I want to be different, just like everybody else.