Toft AFC/ATC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Toft AFC/ATC

Post by slowblue » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Anyone tried these two units? I'm mainly interested in the EQ, it appears the ATC has 4 bands but the low and high are switchable to shelfs, whereas the AFC has 4 sweepable bands. Are the Q's similar on the mid bands, anything else noticable between the two?

Thanks.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:46 pm

I can vouch for the :worthy: factor on the EQ of the ATC2...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

PMIReid
audio school

Re: Toft AFC/ATC

Post by PMIReid » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:10 pm

slowblue wrote:Anyone tried these two units? I'm mainly interested in the EQ, it appears the ATC has 4 bands but the low and high are switchable to shelfs, whereas the AFC has 4 sweepable bands. Are the Q's similar on the mid bands, anything else noticable between the two?

Thanks.
You may already have answered this question for yourself, since it's been a couple of weeks since you posted, but I thought I'd "chime in" in case anyone else has been wondering.

The ATC-2 EQ circuit is the famed Trident 80b. Crillions of hit records made using that EQ, and a lot of engineers worship it (especially rock guys).

The AFC-2 circuit is from one of Malcolm's later consoles, the MTA980.

The "q" for midrange on both EQ's is roughly the same. The big difference is the ability to sweep both HF and LF on the AFC. Personally, I like the AFC better - for that very reason. Both have a similar kind of vibe, though. For want of a better descriptive term, we use "musical". To us, that means you can pour it on and it doesn't ever sound bad. It just sounds like "too much" or "too little" depending on how extreme you're getting and whether you're boosting or cutting.

For the record, we used the ATC-2 circuit in our new ATB console... and it seems that those who've taken delivery are pretty happy.
Reid Mason
PMI Audio Group
1845 W 169th ST
Gardena, CA 90247
Toll Free: 877.563.6335

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: Toft AFC/ATC

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:13 pm

PMIReid wrote:
slowblue wrote:Anyone tried these two units? I'm mainly interested in the EQ, it appears the ATC has 4 bands but the low and high are switchable to shelfs, whereas the AFC has 4 sweepable bands. Are the Q's similar on the mid bands, anything else noticable between the two?

Thanks.
You may already have answered this question for yourself, since it's been a couple of weeks since you posted, but I thought I'd "chime in" in case anyone else has been wondering.

The ATC-2 EQ circuit is the famed Trident 80b. Crillions of hit records made using that EQ, and a lot of engineers worship it (especially rock guys).

The AFC-2 circuit is from one of Malcolm's later consoles, the MTA980.

The "q" for midrange on both EQ's is roughly the same. The big difference is the ability to sweep both HF and LF on the AFC. Personally, I like the AFC better - for that very reason. Both have a similar kind of vibe, though. For want of a better descriptive term, we use "musical". To us, that means you can pour it on and it doesn't ever sound bad. It just sounds like "too much" or "too little" depending on how extreme you're getting and whether you're boosting or cutting.

For the record, we used the ATC-2 circuit in our new ATB console... and it seems that those who've taken delivery are pretty happy.

I have taken delivery of the ATB-16, and LOVE the EQ.