Dual Tube Mic Pre Advice...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eggwar
audio school graduate

Dual Tube Mic Pre Advice...

Post by eggwar » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:38 am

I've never used a mic preamp before that was not part of a mackie or tascam board, so i need some advice. willing to spend about $1500 ? $2000. want something with tubes (because tubes are better/warmer right?), di, and 2 channels.

i'm looking at these right now:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SuPRE/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADL600

any opinions?

thanks!

ToddP
audio school graduate

Re: Dual Tube Mic Pre Advice...

Post by ToddP » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:36 am

eggwar wrote: (because tubes are better/warmer right?),
Wrong. Don't limit yourself that way. Some of the most popular preamps that people refer to as "warm", especially in your price range, are solid state. There are great tube pres and great solid state pres in your price range, but just because someone stuck a tube in it doesn't make it "better", or "warm."

Good luck...

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:50 am

dude if i had that kind of money i would get a germanium or some of the hamptones. you should hear what it sounds like before you buy.there are lots of places which will send you gear to try out before you make a purchase. i think you're going about it not the best way. but you learn a ton from experiences...that's why i think you should audition before you buy.

eggwar
audio school graduate

Post by eggwar » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:53 am

thanks, i'll look into that.

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by supersockmonkey » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:02 am

I always hear everyone talking about the hamptones. The Tube and JFET both have great reviews and they sell them pre assembled so if your technically challenged like i am its a good thing. Sounds like they fit into your description. Also Joel raves about the Sage Electronic pre's (which I really wan't to check out) but i dont think they have a DI. I dont own either so i cant give you any hands on experience with the machines but im in the same situation and have been researching for a while now.

Cheers!!!
*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:03 am

My two cents...for $2k, go for the Great River mp2nv. Can be warm and pushed sounding, and can be clean and detailed too.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:16 am

Why not pickup a pair of those Electro-Harmonix 12AY7's everyone raves about. Only $189 right (2x for a pair)? Ok, I haven't tried it myself yet cause I got other tubes, but everyone was raving about them awhile back. and the price is nothing for what you are willing to spend. If you don;t like them, most place will take them back before 30-45 days.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:07 am

the ADL gets rave reviews here, on this little piece of heaven - http://gearslutz.com/board/

just make your way around the numerous fires and aguilera can sing like god threads.

word is, you shouldn't look at it as a presonus unit..ADL is pretty famous ain't it?

wasn't Joel trying to score an ADL comp?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:28 am

get a pair that sound good at different settings..ones that sound clean and natural at at optimal operating level appropriate for the volume of the instuments you will be recording with them the most..if recording everything, the drums might be the test for that..a pair that has phantom and a DI..that has an output level control so you can use different gain settings..that when you record a whole record through them it sounds good and the space around the sounds is nice..

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:35 am

mjau wrote:My two cents...for $2k, go for the Great River mp2nv. Can be warm and pushed sounding, and can be clean and detailed too.
this is really the pre that always stands out for me in shootouts...and maybe the pacifica as well..rarely can i hear the difference between the others that are normally featured.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:54 am

i had my buddy's hamptone pre for like four months and i loved the friggin thing (has a DI input, polarity switch and phatom all on the front). i can't speak to the great river pre some folks have mentioned though. but, for $2000, you could get four channels of hamptone! that wouldn't suck.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:08 pm

creature.of.habit wrote:the ADL gets rave reviews here, on this little piece of heaven - http://gearslutz.com/board/

just make your way around the numerous fires and aguilera can sing like god threads.

word is, you shouldn't look at it as a presonus unit..ADL is pretty famous ain't it?

wasn't Joel trying to score an ADL comp?
The ADL 670 is slightly different than any of the ADL designs because it is a part for part copy, rather than a design of his own. the classic quote from AD himself was about an anomaly in the ADL670's functionality, and he said "i dont know, i didnt design it." or something like that. It is a fairchild copy, part for part, nothiing more nothing less and it shouldnt be taken as a sign of quality (or not) in the other ADL products.

As far as mic pre's go,

Look for good quality, try a few out, dont get hung up on what is doing the work inside the box, just listen, and choose based on what your ears and heart tell you.
That is how I wind up with so many good things around me!

(oh, yeah, and it takes money too of course... ;))

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:32 am

i had my buddy's hamptone pre for like four months and i loved the friggin thing (has a DI input, polarity switch and phatom all on the front). i can't speak to the great river pre some folks have mentioned though. but, for $2000, you could get four channels of hamptone! that wouldn't suck.
i just got the Hamptone tube pre, and wow. i've only tracked ac. guitar and vocals through it so far, but i can honestly say that it is the tits. worth every penny. i suck at describing things with all the buzzwords and whatnot, i just know what my ears tell me, and they're very happy. built like a tank too. thing could survive a nuclear attack.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 am

for around $1700, i'll keep saying it...

give him a call to chat about his gear. he's a really friendly guy who loves talking about what he builds. www.audiotechnologies.com

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:36 pm

For that price, I'd get a Seventh Circle Audio chassis and power supply, and start filling it with modules, as many as you can afford. I'd personally probably do 4 of the API modules, 2 of the Neves, and 2 of the J99 modules. That'd give you 8 channels total of 3 different (very good) preamps, but it would probably be a bit over your $2k limit.

I'm a DIYer so I'd probably get the kits, but if you need it to be assembled you could order it so.