ProTools 7.3 Upgrade

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wedge
tinnitus

ProTools 7.3 Upgrade

Post by wedge » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:04 pm

Got my email link to upgrade to 7.3 LE from 7.1... Just wondering if anyone on the board's done it yet, and what yer experience has been...

:D

JMorken
audio school graduate

Post by JMorken » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:35 am

I got the upgrade the day after it came out. I needed it for it's universal binary support on Academic licenses. I've done a couple mixes since then and haven't noticed anything different, but maybe you have to be a little "deeper" in the software to find them. Or maybe I'm just naive :?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:51 am

"you can now make many common changes on the fly. Go ahead. Add or remove tracks; add, remove, or copy inserts and sends; change a track?s I/O routing; re-order tracks; and make other changes without having to manually stop playback."

that's pretty cool.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:12 am

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?lan ... emid=23994

These instructional videos explain the new features.
Kyle

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:23 pm

almost all of it is good stuff - or it reads like it anyway. Sadly, most of it is just catching up with cubase 4 and sonar 2.

on the fly changes and inline renaming of busses sounds like a much better mixing life. I'm looking forward to it.

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:08 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:"you can now make many common changes on the fly. Go ahead. Add or remove tracks; add, remove, or copy inserts and sends; change a track?s I/O routing; re-order tracks; and make other changes without having to manually stop playback."
Sweet - That's been one of my primary piss-offs with PT since I switched. Still waiting for my e-mail....

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:42 pm

Loop trim tool, key signature ruler and midi markers for transposing, superior time stretching tool, click track auto create command, RTAS error suppression, reorder tracks on the fly, drag and drop plug in settings, create fades in automation view, save screensets, continually adjustable track sizes, etc. This is an incredible update.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:06 pm

knobtwirler wrote:save screensets, continually adjustable track sizes
I forgot about those two. that's great. I mean, it's cakewalk pro audio 8 but I'm still stoked to see it in PT. ;)

How is the RTAS error suppression? are there common error numbers it suppresses? goodbye 808x?

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:19 pm

The error suppression is basically to hold off the hangups that stop playback or CPU overload caused by a spike over 100% from plug-ins like BFD and such hogs. Something that should have been invisible in the first place. Changing outputs without stopping is huge, especially when an engineer has to suddenly "stop the music" to do something mundane that the artist doesn't want to hear about. Now the music almost never has to stop. The engineer with 7.3 will look slick as hell.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:56 pm

Has anyone actually done this yet on the PC? I've downloaded the update, but when I try to install it, I'm given a message that tells me to uninstall the previous version of PT's (7.1, in my case...) first, then reboot and proceed...

This seems wrong somehow and makes me nervous... Is this not really an update per se, but simply a new version of the entire program? I went to Uninstall Programs, and it told me that the current install is nearly 800 MBs, but the update file is only 120 MBs... Seems wrong somehow...

I downloaded the directions, but they don't answer my questions...

raw-tracks
takin' a dinner break

Post by raw-tracks » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:10 pm

wedge wrote:Has anyone actually done this yet on the PC? I've downloaded the update, but when I try to install it, I'm given a message that tells me to uninstall the previous version of PT's (7.1, in my case...) first, then reboot and proceed...
That's not unusual. Just uninstall the previous, reboot, install 7.3. All should be fine. It worked for me.
Last edited by raw-tracks on Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills!
Mix Our Tracks in Your DAW!
www.Raw-Tracks.com

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:31 pm

Cool... Thanks...

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:23 pm

I can't get the MBox 2 drivers to work on my 7.3 upgrade. Digi tech support opens again tomorrow so I'll post what happens when I contact them. I might just stick with 7.1 for a while.

Todd Wilcox

Timetogrind
audio school graduate

Post by Timetogrind » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:50 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:"you can now make many common changes on the fly. Go ahead. Add or remove tracks; add, remove, or copy inserts and sends; change a track?s I/O routing; re-order tracks; and make other changes without having to manually stop playback."

that's pretty cool.

-ryan
That right there is nice. I have been waiting for that since 6.4.