proximity effect for thicker vocal?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

proximity effect for thicker vocal?

Post by bannerj » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:28 pm

Xmas time off has me reading a bunch and I've come up with some questions.

I read somewhere that proximity effect with the right mic can thicken a vocal? Is it just a matter of getting close to the mic?

How close do you normally put your singers to a mic?

I'm trying to get a better sound out of my own voice (tenor/baritone, but I do a fair amount of falsetto) using a Red Type B. I am mostly within 12 inches of the mic. I'm getting a pretty good sound, but would like to see if I can get more thickness in the tone. Other than EQ and compression...just wondering if I should be thinking about proximity effect?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:46 pm

i sing about the same range.

spread your hand wide open, fingers fully extended, and place your thumb tip to your lips and lightly touch the address side of the mic with the tip of your pinky.

that's the distance i often use for my vocals.

mind, if you're using a condenser, i'd put a pop screen in there after measuring.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:47 pm

You can get pretty close and get a nice proximity boost. It often works better when singing a bit softer...

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:41 am

yeah get about 6 inches from the mic for the good proximity and then roll off the lows at about 175hz (or else your vox may be TOO boomy and it wont sit well with the music) and then add plenty of compression to tighten up the presence in your vox.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:40 am

my voice is third plane of hell deep and I prefer getting up good and close when singing quietly and then using the mics low roll-off plus EQ sometimes - depending on what else is happening the track. that is to say, even though I'm rolling a bunch of the lows off it still sounds better to me to get the proximity effect and roll off than it does to stand further back and not use any roll off. they end up with the same basic eq curve but there's something about singing close. maybe I just feel hotter singing closer to the mic.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:09 pm

syrupcore wrote:my voice is third plane of hell deep and I prefer getting up good and close when singing quietly and then using the mics low roll-off plus EQ sometimes - depending on what else is happening the track. that is to say, even though I'm rolling a bunch of the lows off it still sounds better to me to get the proximity effect and roll off than it does to stand further back and not use any roll off. they end up with the same basic eq curve but there's something about singing close. maybe I just feel hotter singing closer to the mic.
Yea, the timbre is so much cooler when the singer is really close and not singing loudly!
:jazzman:

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:13 pm

For any lurkers out there, proximity effect is unique to cardioid pattern mics. When deciding to take advantage of it to thicken a vocal, be really careful to maintain a consistant distance from the mic from one take to another if comping is a consideration. Inside of 6 inches, tonality can vary a great deal with one inch of difference (size matters). It was common in the old days for engineers to place a piece of gaffer's tape on the floor so the vocalist could be sure of where they were. On mic technique is what seperates a pro session vocalist with everyone else.
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

loveless
alignin' 24-trk

Post by loveless » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:01 pm

I had to use tape and threats to keep a singer from moving closer to the mic during tracking. I don't think the threats worked at all, but the tape certainly helped.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:58 am

river wrote:For any lurkers out there, proximity effect is unique to cardioid pattern mics.

Figure of eight ribbon microphones exhibit hugh amounts of proximity effect...think "the X Files will return in a moment"
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

billiamwalker
pushin' record

Post by billiamwalker » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:40 am

i always jsut place the pop filter in the correct area that he needs and so he can stand comfortable and put his mouth up to the pop filter and he knows that he's a good distance from the mic.

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nesta » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:38 am

Figure of eight ribbon microphones exhibit hugh amounts of proximity effect...think "the X Files will return in a moment"
but aren't Fig. 8 mics essentially two cardioid capsules facing away from one another? for example, are they not 180 degrees out of phase with respect to one another?

I don't own a mic with a fig 8 pattern so...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:38 am

billiamwalker wrote:i always jsut place the pop filter in the correct area that he needs and so he can stand comfortable and put his mouth up to the pop filter and he knows that he's a good distance from the mic.
+1

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:34 am

nesta wrote:
but aren't Fig. 8 mics essentially two cardioid capsules facing away from one another? for example, are they not 180 degrees out of phase with respect to one another?

I don't own a mic with a fig 8 pattern so...
fig 8's are like two tight cardioid patterns back to back, but not necesarily two capsules. a ribbon mic, for example is usually just one element. regardless, they generally have the most proximity effect of any pattern.

the opposite of omni, btw, which has the least. room concerns aside, the amount of proximity effect is one thing i always consider when i choose a mic/pattern. omni 3" away, or fig 8 7" away?

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:39 pm

Test it out as well, as said previously inside 6 inches a little move can have a big effect, but I've found some mics are still very sensitive to distance changes up to a foot out.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 pm

syrupcore wrote:
billiamwalker wrote:i always jsut place the pop filter in the correct area that he needs and so he can stand comfortable and put his mouth up to the pop filter and he knows that he's a good distance from the mic.
+1

+2

Bury your face right in there. It's even better if the pantyhose smells like women. Or ass, whatever you prefer.

I shaved my moustache cause it kept scratching against the pop filter, very annoying. Good thing I was doone shooting that "movie". I'd like to try one of those metal ones, but it probably won't taste as good.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure