Sytek+C414=Acoustic guitar love

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

matyas
pushin' record

Sytek+C414=Acoustic guitar love

Post by matyas » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Think I found my favorite combo for acoustic guitar the other day. C414 (TLII) into a Sytek (Burr-Brown channel). Tasty!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:05 pm

I love my 414 (B-ULS) on acoustic guitar, too - great mic.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:36 pm

yes, that is an unbelievable combination!

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:36 pm

I just tracked AG with a Peluso CEM6 - Sytek (BB) and it sounded great, ran the Sytek into the red and it had a nice edginess that fit the tune perfectly.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:47 pm

which acoustic? Where are you placing the mic?

slowblue
gettin' sounds

Post by slowblue » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:37 am

I've been recording a Taylor and Martin for the past week or so. I usually go in tight (3-4 inches) at the 12th fret angled back towards the hole, but recently have been going 8-12 inches away straight at the neck/body joint or 5-6 inches away at the bridge slightly angled towards the sound hole.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:41 am

This is shaping up to be an excellent thread especially for the unlearn-ed.

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:35 am

bannerj wrote:which acoustic? Where are you placing the mic?
The dude I was tracking the other day has three acoustics, a Fender, a Yamaha, and a Guild. (Don't know the model numbers, but the Guild is his "good" guitar, the Yamaha is his second-tier, and the Fender is usually reserved for writing duties.) The Guild was in the shop at the time, so we tracked the Yammy and the Fender, both of which are actually pretty cheap instruments, but sounded rather nice for the style (singer-songwriter acoustic rock - this guy's into Petty, Springstein, etc.) I started with the mic at around the 12th fret, then moved it up the neck a bit to avoid boominess. I also played around with the angle of the mic a bit - it ended up pointing very slighty more towards the higher strings. We also tried a small diaphragm condenser, because we were double-tracking and thought it might be fun to have two slightly different tones on the different tracks, but the 414 just sounded better in this application.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:21 pm

i love a mono 414 on guitar for overdubs. kills it. through a sytek, hell yeah why not. cuz then i've got the quickness and all the high end necessary to sit that sucka in the mix but good. i'm closer to the 14th fret usu. and asking the player to strum close to where the neck joint hits the body, so i can get my sweet jangling overdub noise perfect.

never underestimate the power of the player in the case of playing an acoustic. there is a TON that they can do to make your lives easier and to make that thing sound stellar for the track. and a million ways to get it done of course.

what else have i done recently? stereo earthworks TC40K omni's on an acoustic. big as hell and true as can be, spaced pair; one closer to the body of the guitar just below where the strumming hand would be and back a bit, say a foot away. and the other about a foot away at the 12th fret and pointing ever so slightly towards the sound hole.