Floor above my studio... best STL?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Floor above my studio... best STL?

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:23 pm

OK... so my landlord is renovating the space above my studio and is getting close to time to put in the floor... he and I are trying to figure out what the best construction method is to keep any bleed at an absolute minimum...

currently it is: ceiling (2x 5/8"sheetrock, 1x 1/2"soundboard ), 12x3 (I think) joists, strips of roofing rubber, 5/8" ply...

I am thinking that a layer of wonderboard (that concrete board stuff) then another layer of plywood, then the hardwood floor for the space above will be good.

I am on a slab with 4' stone walls, so basically no vobrations travel through the floor up the walls... (basement studio)

any and all suggestions are appreciated.......

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:35 pm

Float the floor above you?

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:22 am

i don't think there is the budget for that.... unfortunately... I also don't think that the construction crew are the sharpest knives in the drawer... I think mass is going to be the name of the game.

john

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:07 pm

John

Make sure your framing is strong enough for any add'l mass. Get a joist span table (or better, a structural engineer) and make certain the joists can hold the mass safely.

Also, make sure any air penetrations between floors are sealed w/ acoustic caulk. One tiny hole can undo many $$ worth of extra mass. Good luck.

Frank

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:10 am

structurally the joists are pretty amazing... they are 12" x 3" and are spaced only 16" apart, with a new steel I-beam throught the middle of my space, and the sides anchored to the foundation (4' thick blue stone)... I definately understand the airtight thing... I will be working closely with our landlord to try to make sure that the construction crew (a pretty slow working group of illegal jamaican immigrants) does it right... they are really nice and helpful, but not terribly thorough or precise... not really the best situation for a crew like that.

after talking to joel last night, I think I will try to get the floor to be: plywood, soundboard, wonderboard, plywood, then the hard wood floor... I think that should be about as good as it can be without floating the apartments above.

keep the ideas coming...

john