What's the intern/assistant scene like in NYC?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dpiper
pluggin' in mics

What's the intern/assistant scene like in NYC?

Post by dpiper » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:05 am

I'm thinking about moving to New York City/Brooklyn, and I'm trying to figure out how the pieces would fall into place.

I've been interning for a year at a well known studio in Boston, and also did one semester at a post facility. I just finished up at Berklee College of Music a week ago, and I can no longer claim to be interning 'for college credit'. I've seen, at the two studios I interned at, how much business is actually out there in the Boston area. From my perspective, it seems like it would be an uphill battle to have a full-time, sustainable career in this location. I'm 28 years old, which puts me on the upper end of the intern/assistant demographic. I can afford to work for no/little pay for a little longer, but not forever.

So my question is two-fold:

1.) Are there studios in New York City who are willing to take people who are no longer interning for college credit?

2.) Is my career more likely to suceed if I go to NYC? Is there really that much more work in NYC to justify up-and-leaving a city, girlfriend, and scene that, despite the lack of music industry $$, I really like?

I don't mean to sound negative - I'm just trying to figure out what my next step should be!

(I read the archived thread regarding internships in the Stickes section. It had great advice, but often points to the Hit Factory as a good gig in NYC. i walked by there a few months ago, and now it is condominiums! i wonder if there is anybody in NYC now who might have a little more perspective on the current scene.)

effector
takin' a dinner break

Post by effector » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:01 pm

sorry, i can't offer any information....but i am wondering the same things, too!

does anybody know anything about SAE or the institute of audio research, both in manhattan? does either one have a reputation?

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Re: What's the intern/assistant scene like in NYC?

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:17 pm

dpiper wrote:2.) Is my career more likely to suceed if I go to NYC?
if you have to ask....

dpiper
pluggin' in mics

Post by dpiper » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:16 pm

Tiger Vomit (a fine screen name, by the way) -

I assume you're saying "do or do not, there is no try".

Fair enough.

But still - hypothetical situation. Two equally talented engineers, one lives in a major music center, the other in a secondary market. How different are thier careers, or thier incomes?

I'm trying to sus this out, and thought some folks on the board might know better than me, or may have experienced a transition from a podunk town to the big city.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:53 pm

dpiper wrote:Tiger Vomit (a fine screen name, by the way) -
thank you
I assume you're saying "do or do not, there is no try".

Fair enough.
sort of. i meant it more like, with the people i know who are "successful" at this, theyre not people who cared if it was possible or not. theyre too busy doing it to ask permission. it's like asking if it is possible to become a rock star or a movie star. it's either your destiny or youre destined for something else, however big or small.

new york is a big place for an enterprising person, there's no doubt about that

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:06 pm

dpiper wrote: But still - hypothetical situation. Two equally talented engineers, one lives in a major music center, the other in a secondary market. How different are thier careers, or thier incomes?
Ask not only this, but also, what is their cost of living and quality of life? If you're moving from a podunk town to NYC, you may be in for some culture and sticker shock. A doubling (or even tripling) of your income isn't shit if your rent is four times higher (for a move from a nice-sized two bedroom to a closet), your electric and gas is twice as high (easily possible if you're in a cheap state - NY is one of the most expensive states for power), your car insurance triples and food is one-and-a-half times more expensive (more if you eat out).

Also, you're now a very small fish in, well, the ocean.

dpiper
pluggin' in mics

Post by dpiper » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:19 am

Johnny B-

A good point. NYC is mad expensive. I'm writing this from my friend's couch in Greenwich village, and I've come to scope things out, spend a few days in the big city, and see how it feels.

Right now, I'm leaning towards moving! I have a good network of friends here - none involved in recording but all creative types of some kind. My living costs will no doubt increase, but for a little more than I pay in Boston (not the cheapest town either) I can be around WAY more music.

It is incredible though, last night we walked by the Village Vangaurd - one of the world's most well known jazz clubs. The hospital across the street probably takes in more money, and employs more people in three of it's rooms than the Vangaurd does in a week. If there is one thing I'm learning over and over again lately, it is that the music business is much smaller than I thought.

Thanks for chiming in with your advice.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:21 am

I moved from Boston To NYC and it was definitely a good decision for me.

As far as wondering about your income being a studio intern / assistant / assistant engineer / etc /etc /etc... You should know the answer to that question without asking. The answer is Ramen Noodles.

If you're here for a couple days you may as well start knocking on doors. Start the quest now.

My only advice is to pinpoint exactly what job you want and go after it tooth and nail. I.E. if you want to work in a post production facility then go for that and nothing else, if you want to do music production zero in on that. It pays to know exactly what you want.

New York can be a bitch to get your footing in. You know the Sinatra song. Don't give up. Seriously, it may take a long long time to get what you want. I mean that it may well take you a few years to get to the starting point that you want to be at now. But if you go after it you'll get it, sooner or later.

Jupiter4Jackie
audio school graduate

Post by Jupiter4Jackie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 am

There aren't alot of studios left (in NY), that's the problem... I started working in Maine after graduating from Berklee, got experience then moved to NY...
"...he reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says "Actually, I think you need a little more development." Swim again, please. Backstroke. And he does of course."
- Steve Albini, The Problem With Music

mixalot
audio school graduate

Post by mixalot » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:21 pm

whats are your skills and skill level coming out of berklee?
do you play anything? can you get around any room you gointo without too much issue?
if so the few studios still in nyc or close proximity of are always looking for a qualified assistant.
you gotta prove it though , go in swinging.!
BAH!

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 am

there are plenty of studios always looking for interns (read: free help). unfortunately, there are even more people looking for those positions, but that still means that you always have a shot.

regardless, moving to NY from Boston is always a good idea. i have friend that live in dorcester (murder capital of the world?) and paid hundreds more than she does in brooklyn.

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:22 pm

hey dpiper,

what everyone else said so far holds up, so listen to them ... now here's my take:

the intern scene here in NYC is good. in fact, it's plentiful. I currently intern at 4 different recording studios around NYC (1 in Manhattan, 2 in Brooklyn and 1 in Hoboken). I'm probably alot like you - I went to an audio engineering school (SAE) and now my goal is to eventually start engineering (and possibly producing) for a living. that's where it gets hairy.

like someone else mentioned before, there are alot of studios looking for free help but very few, if any, are hiring. and even then, the starting pay from what i hear is very low. the cost of living around here is no joke so that's where it becomes a big problem. i can honestly tell you that so far most of my internship experience has been incredible. I've helped out on sessions - some for favorite bands of mine - doing everything from scrub toilets, to answer phones, to miking up instruments, to working the console and i feel like it's all making me a better engineer. the one thing it's not making me, tho, is ANY MONEY. my bread and butter is a somewhat steady freelance audio tech job for a big corporate company (that will rename unnamed) that i hate.

all this has actually been on the forefront of my mind recently, too, because I plan on moving into a new place with my girlfriend soon where I'll most likely be paying more than I'm used to and I'm racking my brain to figure out how to make it work financially. I've been talking to some of the staff engineers, studio owners and producers I know trying to get advice. it's all been kinda varied but the general idea i'm getting is that i'm looking at a ferocious uphill battle full of empty pockets, empty stomaches, sleepless nights and overall madness.

I know all of that may seem discouraging - and believe me it can be - but I honestly really think that one day it'll all pay off. it just takes "alotta work and alotta patience," in the words of one producer.

I hope, whatever you decide, that it works out for you and that you're happy with your decision.

-JV