! new years resolutions !

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

! new years resolutions !

Post by dynomike » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:26 pm

i guess its not that happy a new year if i'm on the tomb at just after midnight... but i like the tradition of new years resolutions and wanted to see what you guys have planned for your studios for the upcoming year!

i think what i'd really like is to first off, personally, make a really great album with my band. i'm frustrated with this d.i.y. thing and i wanna make collab work better than anything i've been involved with.

for the studio, i want to make myself realize everyday how lucky i am to be doing what i am doing, in general. to be thankful, and yet be confident that i deserve to be where i am. i also want to record at least one album (outside my own bands, of course) this year that i will listen to and talk about the rest of my life.

is that too ambitious? perhaps. although, last year my only resolution was girl-related and didn't turn out, and now she lives in france. i think a shift to music related resolutions is in order.

happy new years everybody... best wishes for a successful year, personally musically fiscally sexually emotionally spiritually etc.ally

mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: ! new years resolutions !

Post by jmoose » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 am

dynomike wrote:for the studio, i want to make myself realize everyday how lucky i am to be doing what i am doing, in general. to be thankful, and yet be confident that i deserve to be where i am. i also want to record at least one album (outside my own bands, of course) this year that i will listen to and talk about the rest of my life.

is that too ambitious? perhaps. although, last year my only resolution was girl-related and didn't turn out, and now she lives in france. i think a shift to music related resolutions is in order.
Hmmmm...I don't think so.

If anything maybe it's not ambitious enough?! I'm aspiring for the high water mark, that EVERY (or as close as possible to it!) record I make this year is going to be one that's worth listening back to and is a career achivement mark for someone who's involved with it.

Otherwise, if it all sucks and isn't worth listening too many times...what's the point??! HAHAHAHA!

I can relate to you on the chick thing...they're all pretty crazy. Even the ones that are fairly harmless.

Peace & good wishes for the New Year to all!
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:21 am

1. Move
2. Get a new job
3. Buy a house
4. Care less about gear and more about music

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:13 pm

Set up a little workspace in the apartment so I can work on my own projects in the evening.

Find a local gang of weirdoes to hang out with - folks here are *way* too normal.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:28 pm

Finish up the studio that i've been working on most of last year. Should be done in a few months.

Record the bands that have been waiting to make their records. I've never recorded a full length! I guess I dig trial by fire...

Record my band's record.

Re-start my 'zine, this time focusing on people's stories of diy inspiration. Sounds corny in print, but I'm psyched to do it.

Lastly, have a 'recording party' in my place when the studio is fully done, and give all the bands mixes of their performances in trade for them playing.

Happy new year, everyone!

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:51 pm

be less self-conscious.

I swear, every time I start writing a song I turn on my internal editor. I need to just let things happen and then edit after it sits for a while.

same goes for my personal life. Sometimes I can't even form a decent sentence when talking because I start clarifying what I say even before I said it. Before long the drug companies will make a pill for that, the way they made a pill for people who bounce their leg.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:50 pm

Randy wrote:be less self-conscious.

I swear, every time I start writing a song I turn on my internal editor. I need to just let things happen and then edit after it sits for a while.

same goes for my personal life. Sometimes I can't even form a decent sentence when talking because I start clarifying what I say even before I said it. Before long the drug companies will make a pill for that, the way they made a pill for people who bounce their leg.
the drug is called marijuana.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dirk_v
pushin' record

Post by dirk_v » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:22 am

Before long the drug companies will make a pill for that, the way they made a pill for people who bounce their leg
ha ha - typical. my wife started a new prescription last week, gave her a rash and fucked up dreams, went back to the pharmacist who gave her more pills for the rash and sleep. My new years resolution is to pursue other avenues of medicine if (God forbid) in need.

Also to generally devote more time and energy to music, and less to bartending or otherwise procrastinating. And to quit smoking. Eat better. Exercise more. Shit, I need a nap just thinking about it.

-dv
"lattes are stupid anyway. coffee, like leather pants, should always be black." -MoreSpaceEcho
www.dirkvanderwal.com

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:55 am

writing more, quit smoking. Those are the noly two righnt now

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:41 am

dynomike wrote:
the drug is called marijuana.
Oddly enough, that only makes it worse.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:52 am

[steve dallas] i resolve to smoke, drink, and carouse with tarts as much as humanly possible. [/steve dallas]

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:10 am

My New Years resolution.... to hit the polarity reverse switch on the channel strip of life...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:58 am

The Spark wrote:My New Years resolution.... to hit the polarity reverse switch on the channel strip of life...
Nice!

Well, I quit smoking back in October, so that's off the list.

The new list

1) Join a gym, as my 34th B'day is in 9 days and I feel old.
2) Travel more (already booked London and Paris in March!!!)
3) write more music (I just started an interesting 31 day sample/composition project)
4) more DIY projects (TapeOp Omnis, Hamptone or SCA).
5) Read more.

Jeff

mrgreengenes
audio school graduate

resolutions

Post by mrgreengenes » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:09 pm

backup.
after. every. session.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:01 am

Pretty much every year i give up handgliding.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com