Demo vs Album project

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TheGreeneSound
pluggin' in mics

Post by TheGreeneSound » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:13 pm

I think it is really funny this whole debate over the word demo there was another thread on gearslutz a couple days ago about how demos are dead basically the demo is more alive than ever just its purpose and use have changed while in the past they were used to get deals/sell songs they now are used as preroduction, to get gigs, write songs, share ideas with band members demos are more alive now than ever because any one can record anything they want for a couple hundred bucks we shouldnt even debating this not to mention the quality of a demo is so much better because there is so much usable gear available on the cheap i guess this is what causes the debate people think a demo has to sound like shit hey its 2008 demos can sound really good

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm

dude...

periods.

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:30 pm

Man Jeremy, you really stepped in it!
lfg

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Demo vs Album project

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:09 pm

jspartz wrote:Hey,

I am wondering if the concept of the demo recording is dead or if its focus has changed? It use to be to help shop around and draw attention. Now I see it as a brainstorming effort to help setup a vibe or direction for a song/project.

I had an artist in who wanted to record a couple different versions of the same song so he could take it back to his band and continue to develop it for the next album project.

Anyway, what is your outlook on the demo for todays musicians?

Jason

There are two options here:

Record a vocal with one instrument, in one go = Demo.

Record a finihsed song = Demo.

Either way, the common factor is that a Demo does NOT GET RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC.

If any material gets released to the public, it is no longer considered a Demo. It is now a Release.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.