Monster Cable lawsuits...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:47 pm

jwnc wrote:Never bought any and never will.. overpriced and with all that crap no way. Notice they only pick on people without a ton of money. I dont see them going after Disney - Monsters Inc or what about Monster House, Monster Garage. They only pick on the ones they know they can bully.

jason
not true. from the 2nd link.
Discovery Channel has felt Monster's wrath for its show "Monster Garage." Bally Gaming is under Monster's glare because of its Monster slot machine. Monster sued Walt Disney Co., maker of the a nimated flick "Monsters, Inc." Even the Chicago Bears, also known as "The Monsters of the Midway," once were eyed by Monster.

Monster Cable sued Monster.com, the online resume site. It sued Disney and Discovery Channel. In all three suits, Monster reached a confidential settlement. The company's general counsel, David Tognotti, said the company is now involved in "great partnerships" with all three companies.
i think rodc pinned the tail on the monster donkey.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:02 pm

C'mon guys. They're just a big, cuddly corporation abusing the American legal system so they can maliciously extort vintage clothing stores and instructional video producers for their grocery money by trademarking some generic term probably conceived before the middle ages. I mean really, fuck the Discovery Channel!

Right? Who's with me!
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:03 pm

I am going to sue anyone named joel, or hamilton, or anyone that has "studio" in their studio's name.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:21 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I am going to sue anyone named joel, or hamilton, or anyone that has "studio" in their studio's name.
Actually, you can't because ownership of proper names are where you can totally get away with using a term that's trademarked. Fo rinstance, if your last name is MacDonald, you can totally open a restaurant called MacDonald's.

I'll give any one of you guys $100 to legally chage your name to "Monster" and start selling your own brand of Monster Cable. That would be the balls.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:37 pm

If Monster Cable is successfully extorting money from Disney and others, they might well be indifferent to their reputation as a cable manufacturer. Their "portfolio" of companies that send them a check every month might be where the real money is, kind of like how IBM is making more and more money every year off of the many patents they hold. Patent/trademark squatting is quite the viable business nowadays.

Intellectual property law is a total disaster. These tales of Monster Cable lawsuits make my blood boil. Thanks for ruining my evening. Just kidding.

It is at times like these that I hope there is a hell waiting for the shitheads who perpetrate "legal" rackets like this.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:39 pm

cgarges wrote:I'll give any one of you guys $100 to legally chage your name to "Monster" and start selling your own brand of Monster Cable. That would be the balls.
*starts the paperwork*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:50 pm

I'm a monster rep and I couldn' t be ;adlmorjaoijam;ah a;lkja;lksjlkjlkjdjfff
asdlkfj

asaaslkdjf;lkaj;slkdf
asd;lfkja;lskdja
lakjsdlf
alakjsa
lja
lka
lkja

Why am I melting?
aldka
addfffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllgggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaa

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:09 am

honkyjonk wrote:I'm a monster rep and I couldn' t be ;adlmorjaoijam;ah a;lkja;lksjlkjlkjdjfff
asdlkfj

asaaslkdjf;lkaj;slkdf
asd;lfkja;lskdja
lakjsdlf
alakjsa
lja
lka
lkja

Why am I melting?
aldka
addfffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllgggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaa
LMAO! :lol:
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:08 am

I never bought that overpriced shit to begin with...

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:40 am

I own five pieces of Monster (please don't sue me) cable, all of which I was given by the Monster reps when I worked for Music123.com back in the day. They were a big step over the HOSA stuff that I was using at the time, however, in the future I plan on rolling my own cable via RedCo.

If any of you girls and boys actually knew how marked up Monster cable really is, you'd never buy it again on that knowlege alone. Cables that cost the retailer about $8 sell for $30-$40 a piece. Monster will also not allow discounts on their products at all, and if a retailer is caught they will pull the line. But why discount when you are raking in the dough?

MC is really overpriced. Not saying that it is shit cable, but it is overpriced.

I feel for these small companies who are being bullied by Monster Cable as that horrible company abuses the legal system to ruin family businesses. Monster Cable is the Walmart of the audio world in this regard.

Jeff

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:18 am

Overpriced, and overhyped. Like discussed in a thread a while back, any cable with arrows telling me which way to "send" the signal is snake oil. And charging for the privellege. Boo.

I know people who have a bunch of their stuff, given gratis. It's o-kay. That is, it works, is pretty well built, and may be better than some other cheaper stuff. But not at the prices they charge, nor how they do 'business' - bullying anyone who uses an even remotely similar name, even in a different discipline -will i buy their products.

I hope someone from their company is reading this, and having corporate regrets for their stance. But I doubt it.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote: I hope someone from their company is reading this, and having corporate regrets for their stance. But I doubt it.
I sincerely doubt that anybody at Monster Cable feels bad about the apparently huge revenue streams that they get just for having sued, and settled with, other companies in the past (note that Monster.com has a link to the monster cable site and not vice versa; also note that they are in "licensing agreements" with the companies they've successfully sued)

Cables and their reputation in the music business are NOT their only source of dough.

Now let's talk about how "The Rock" (actor/wrestler) has to pay a licensing fee to WWF for the rest of his life every time he appears as "The Rock". I think he hands over fifteen or twenty percent of his income every year through this arrangement.

Moral: Don't sign anything you don't understand.