Vocal Mic Opinions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stevetothink
audio school

Vocal Mic Opinions

Post by stevetothink » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:02 pm

Your experienced opinion would be much appreciated.

I have a Neumann TLM103 that I used as my main vocal mic. I want to upgrade in a serious way. I've been looking at the following:

Peluso P12
Peluso 2247 LE
Pearlman TM1
Rhodes Classic II

Does anyone have an opinion on these or any other mic in the price range of $1200 - $1600?

Thanks!

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:46 pm

Hey Steve,

I was going to mention this to you tomorrow. Don't count out some more inexpensive microphones like those found at oktavamod.com. You can check mine out at some point if you want to.

As I said before, Peluso makes some pretty terriffic stuff, so you can't go wrong with the brand. The P12, I think, wouldn't be as much of a utility mic for you as your 103. It's pretty much a copy of the AKG C12. It's totally a cool mic though. The 2247 would be more your thing, i think, if you're looking to keep that "Neumann sound." It's a U47 copy if memory serves me.

The next person who posts (unless it's Ken) will probably ask you what you're recording, what styles, etc. I know what YOU sound like. . .I know what your vocals sound like. . .but you're not clear if you're going to use this on anything but yourself.

Also take into consideration the following:

A tube mic doesn't necessarily mean it's an upgrade. There are lots of FET mics that are just as cool. We'll talk about it tomorrow if you'll still be around. For now. . .discuss. . .

-James
HWJLHC?

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:38 pm

UTFSF
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Post by daysleeper » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm

I really like the Gefell UMT 70s for vocals, I also use it as a mono overhead for drums, and an acoustic guitar mic. Mercenary Audio sells them for $1,450.

stevetothink
audio school

Post by stevetothink » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:59 pm

"UTFSF"

I'd say that's the extent of your experienced opinion

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:30 pm

stevetothink wrote:"UTFSF"

I'd say that's the extent of your experienced opinion
yup, probably about 5 gigabytes worth of opinion.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:55 am

stevetothink, kentothink-

Are you guys brothers? You may want to take this argument outside...

:wink:

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:04 am

My experience is actually not with those mics specifically, but in the fact that tube mics are not necessarily better than condenser mics and therefore not necessarily an "upgrade". For example, Rode (not Rhodes) makes the NTK which is a tube mic and its in the same price range as the 103 (sorta...) and is it comparable or better? No, just different. Also, upgrade implies (to me anyway) that you're going to be ditching your TLM103 to put towards your new mic and not using your new mic in addition to the 103. In that case, see the first sentence. If the new mic is in addition to the old, then a tube mic could be the way to go since it will be pretty different for a lot of reasons from your current vocal mic. Also, your current vocal mic is sort of your "go to" mic for a lot of applications. Will your new mic be the same?

You might want to say too that you have a rockin Sytek and a bad ass modded 896HD bringing to light the fact that you already have great preamps and they will translate the sound of the mics well.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:11 am

As I found out by many people here, the Sure SM-7b is a terrific vocal mike. I haven't heard one bad thing about that mic.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:25 am

mics that have worked for vocals in the past for me personally:

shure ksm LDC's, ev re50 & re20, sm7, studio projects T3(has a phizzy cool high end with a NOS GE tube in it, sounds much more expensive than it is), soundelux u195, sm 56 57 58, oktava ml19 ribbon, lawson 47..all with good preamps, those make a world of difference..

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:42 am

parlormusic wrote:As I found out by many people here, the Sure SM-7b is a terrific vocal mike. I haven't heard one bad thing about that mic.
It's pretty funny you should mention...I keep thinking about buying one of those but I just never get around to it. No one has anything bad to say!!

-Ken

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:20 am

kentothink wrote:
parlormusic wrote:As I found out by many people here, the Sure SM-7b is a terrific vocal mike. I haven't heard one bad thing about that mic.
It's pretty funny you should mention...I keep thinking about buying one of those but I just never get around to it. No one has anything bad to say!!

-Ken

I don't like the number 7.

There, ya happy!! :D
off somewhere listening.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:50 am

he's never happy
HWJLHC?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:59 am

kentothink wrote:

-Ken
It is a cool mic, and good for many things. It isnt ever particularly "exciting" though on vocals. Sometimes it is "perfect" though, just like , um, any mic.

if you want a tube mic: the charter oak 538 is a great mic in the range you mentioned, as is the GTMD1a. The BLUE mouse is an amazing microphone in that range ( the black body one, with the Xformer). A used Soundeluxe U95 may be the single best vocal mic in that price range. not the "195" the "U95."
Last edited by joel hamilton on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:59 am

We picked up one of the peluso mics a couple weeks ago, and sent it back. It was made very cheaply in china. It's sound was...ok, but nothing really that great.

Depending on what kind of vocal you're trying to record I would second the sm7b, the re20 for sure, many of the audio technica mics are great (4050) etc..

But, sticking to the mics you have listed I would sayyyyy either the pearlman or the rhodes...probably the rhodes. Buy them all and send back the ones you don't like. We've been having great luck with that lately. Many places have great return policies as long as you're upfront with them and just say, "look, I want to buy a great microphone FROM YOU, but I am going to audition them." Most places will work with you as long as you assure them that you're going to buy from them.

Neil