Effects of phantom power on dynamic mics...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

markmeat
pushin' record

Effects of phantom power on dynamic mics...

Post by markmeat » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:05 pm

Okay, I think I know the answer but I sure don't know why... what are the effects of running phantom power on dynamic mics? Long term? Short term? Any?

I've got a FirePod and the phantom power is supplied in two blocks of four (meaning if you want power on channel one, you get 1-4, channel 5, you get 5-8 )... I don't mind smoking a couple of 57's or something, but I get a little nervous (maybe for no reason) plugging in a 421 or my PR-40 on a "powered" channel... so can this hurt these mics at all?

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:08 pm

nope, you're fine.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:36 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:nope, you're fine.
agreed.

i've hit various dynamics with phantom over the years and nothing has happened to them.

a ribbon mic, however, could pop like popcorn.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:40 am

It is very rare that a ribbon mic will get ruined by phantom power. It is possible but all the correctly wired beyers, fostex, shure, b&o's, and royers I have used work fine with phantom power. The real problem is when you use an xlr input from a line level piece of gear, say sending signal from one board to another xia xlr. You can get crackly noise if the phantom power is being sent back to the original board. Dynamic mics inherantly do not have a problem with phantom.

Frost

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:54 am

Frost wrote:It is very rare that a ribbon mic will get ruined by phantom power.

Frost
Whachu 'talkin' 'bout Willis?!
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:05 pm

That's what I thought, just didn't know why I could "power" my dynamics, but the Fathead I have here says a big no-no on using phantom with it... thanks...

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:40 pm

parlormusic wrote:
Frost wrote:It is very rare that a ribbon mic will get ruined by phantom power.

Frost
Whachu 'talkin' 'bout Willis?!
It's true! Phantom Power itself isn't dangerous to ribbon mics. What's dangerous is when the power is interrupted to one side, as in a bad cable or patching with the phantom power on so that the cable touches the wrong contacts for a second.

The reason people say it's so dangerous comes from a time when everybody worked with consoles that had universal phantom power. So you had to remember to patch the mic either with the phantom off or before the cable was plugged into the microphone itself. XLRs don't have the same problem since the contacts all naturally touch at the right places at the same time. Plenty of consoles (such as the entire neve 80 series) never had switches to turn the phantom off, and TONS of records were made using ribbon mics and those boards.

In theory doing this could trash a dynamic as well, though they're traditionally a bit more hearty. As long as you're careful about turning the phantom off when you plug the mic in you shouldn't have any problems.

-marc goodman

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:40 pm

"Phantom power" was named "phantom power" because it was essentially invisible to mics that weren't designed to use it. Clever, eh?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Scodiddly wrote:"Phantom power" was named "phantom power" because it was essentially invisible to mics that weren't designed to use it. Clever, eh?
awesome.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:33 pm

Scodiddly wrote:"Phantom power" was named "phantom power" because it was essentially invisible to mics that weren't designed to use it. Clever, eh?
Or, was it???