Cheap CD duplication?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

foley
pushin' record

Cheap CD duplication?

Post by foley » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, I am not sure where the question belongs. I have had a local church youth group in the studio for the last couple of weeks recording a benefit cd for a summer trip to the delta. They are going to be building houses outside of Clarksdale, MS with Habitat for Humanity.

Their cd sounds pretty good, but the guy who is in charge of it told me that he is going to spend $1000 for 1000 cds. He said this is the best deal he could find. Seems unlikely that they are ever going to sell all 1000 cds, and at that cost they'll need to sell 100 just to break even. Yeesh!

Anyone have any tips on a good source for cd duplication at cheap rates? I think 300 cds would be the maximum they would need, and black art on the discs would be fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:31 am

If CDR's are OK, you can get much smaller amounts, for cheap, from pretty much anywhere. $1000 for 1000 is pretty standard for regular glass-master CD's.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:53 am

Go to the Discmakers website where you can check prices for different quantities and packaging. They aren't necessarily the cheapest but their site is about the best place to get a good idea of what your options are.

The problem with CD printing is that smaller quantities are quite a bit higher cost per disc. One option is to have, say, 250 copies of just the disc itself printed in one color and then do your own packaging. You can look at Stumptown Printers for some inexpensive packaging options. I assume that the people buying this CD will know that it's for a good cause which means that they should understand that fancy packaging doesn't make sense for this project.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:13 am

Actually, I've had two discs done by discmakers. They do a good job. I'm getting their 300 glass-master digipaks for $1000 deal this month...