reverb recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sparky
pushin' record

reverb recommendations?

Post by sparky » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:20 pm

I'm thinking about buying some sort of dedicated reverb box. Previously, I'd pretty much used room tone for all reverb, except for guitars (use amp's springs and stomp boxes, print reverb while tracking), but this isn't cutting it. I also don't have enough computer to do it all ITB (not to mention that I haven't been super jazzed about any of the reverb plugs I've tried).

Are there "board favourites" in the inexpensive reverb box category? FWIW, I'd rather get a reverb with a cool specific sound than a versatile but generic one. Something I'll be glad I have later.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:33 pm

I'm no expert, but I am a big fan of the TC Electronics stuff. I got an M2000 used a couple years ago ($500) and it's really nice. Way better than the Yamaha reverbs I was used to.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:40 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I'm no expert, but I am a big fan of the TC Electronics stuff. I got an M2000 used a couple years ago ($500) and it's really nice. Way better than the Yamaha reverbs I was used to.
Another vote for tc reverbs - the m300 is a very solid option on the cheap, the m-one is even better (more tweakable), and the m2000 rules my world.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:06 pm

I have been using 3 things:

a sound workshop spring reverb.

A lexicon 224XL.

A TC M2000.

I have mixed a ton of records using the M2000 alone, but with some tape echo as well....

The 2000 is a great box for very little money these days.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:23 pm

true darkhorse:

Ibanez SDR1000+

Great box made in the 80s by Ibanez & Sony. Designed to compete with the PCM70

I've seen 'em on ebay for $100 or so. Well worth it.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:25 pm

Another voice saying "TC Electronics." I have a Powercore card, and I know you want a stand-alone unit, but it supposedly uses the same algorithms their external boxes have. These are the first reverbs I can use if I want something to sound real, you know, add some room.

I have a MidiVerb 4 that I still use, but it is for trickery and over-the top fun stuff. If I just want things to sound like they were tracked in a decent room instead of close mic'd in a basement, I use my card. It still isn't a total substitute for a decent acoustic space, but it comes closer than anything I have heard up to this point.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:08 pm

I went dedicated reverb box with an Eventide 2016... great but pricey. I like the TC M 300.... in the bargain price range. some of the older roland units go cheap nowadays....

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:28 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I have been using 3 things:

A lexicon 224XL.

A TC M2000.

I have mixed a ton of records using the M2000 alone, but with some tape echo as well....

Hey Joel,

That Sound Workshop thingy you have, is it the black stereo unit? I just found one and I think it sounds amazing. Only problem is that only the right side works. It has level going in on the left but nothing comes out. Opened it up but nothing was staring me in the face. You know any good techs in the area that I can bring this to? Just did a jazz xmas session and it was really beautiful of the sax.

Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:55 am

Another contender is the Alesis Wedge. Yup, you read that right.

You can completely mess with the parameters, but there are a couple of programs that are great on their own. I personally like the "Gotham Studio" setting.- slightly darker and compressed.

No longer made, $100 used on the street.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:32 am

I've advocated the Alesis Midiverb II on as number of occasions for uber-cheap and really usable 'verb. I like the Wedge pretty well, too. And my ol' trusty Lexicon PCM 60.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:14 am

I second the motion on the PCM60.
Also, an inexpensive unit I usually come back to is the Roland SRV-330. Plate and chamber presets are pretty nice.
-Pete

www.weissy.com
www.weisstronauts.com
www.verdantstudio.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:45 am

Mark Alan Miller wrote:I've advocated the Alesis Midiverb II on as number of occasions for uber-cheap and really usable 'verb. I like the Wedge pretty well, too. And my ol' trusty Lexicon PCM 60.
as much as i love the MIDIVERB II (have two of them i bought in '89 and '91, still use them WAY too much), i'm not sure i'd want to lean on them as a main 'verb. :o
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:07 pm

RefD wrote:
Mark Alan Miller wrote:I've advocated the Alesis Midiverb II on as number of occasions for uber-cheap and really usable 'verb. I like the Wedge pretty well, too. And my ol' trusty Lexicon PCM 60.
as much as i love the MIDIVERB II (have two of them i bought in '89 and '91, still use them WAY too much), i'm not sure i'd want to lean on them as a main 'verb. :o
Yeah. Same story over here... I also have two. Got one in '87!

...but for the 50 to 75 bucks they often can be had for, they are good enough to be used as main 'verbs if nothing else is around, with fine results. IMO. :)

Isn't there some Lexicon/Alesis licensing and license-abuse story behing these and like, the microverb, or something?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:24 pm

Jupiter 4 Studio wrote:

A lexicon 224XL.

A TC M2000.

Hey Joel,

That Sound Workshop thingy you have, is it the black stereo unit? I just found one and I think it sounds amazing. Only problem is that only the right side works. It has level going in on the left but nothing comes out. Opened it up but nothing was staring me in the face. You know any good techs in the area that I can bring this to? Just did a jazz xmas session and it was really beautiful of the sax.

Steve
It IS the black, stereo one. I would talk to John Charette at Excelo.
He could probably get it rolling for you, and he is a good person. Good tech.

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:58 pm

joel hamilton wrote:
Jupiter 4 Studio wrote:

A lexicon 224XL.

A TC M2000.

Hey Joel,

Steve
It IS the black, stereo one. I would talk to John Charette at Excelo.
He could probably get it rolling for you, and he is a good person. Good tech.
Joel,

Do you have a contact number for him. I'd really love to get both channels of this thing working.
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.