Massey Plugins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Massey Plugins

Post by DGoody » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:59 pm

This may be old news, but I downloaded the Massey L2007 mastering limiter today, and it's pretty great...... not that I'm condoning brick wall limiting, but it does a damn fine job of it..... certainly a bit better than the L2

He's also got a distortion box plugin, EQ, compressor, and tape head simulator..... I got them all for around $340..... can't beat that for some extra shit to fuck around with..... you can get the, separately as well.....

they're at www.masseyplugins.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Massey rocks. It is old news here at this point. Steven is a great guy as well.
The compressor plug is one that i consistently go to if I use an ITB comp at all. Actually, if I am using a comp ITB at ALL, it is almost ALWAYS the massey comp. I also use the tape head plug even on stuff that i did the basics to tape, and even when i am mixing to tape. Love it on room mics a lot.... I also LOVE it on strings and horns....

I have all the plugs, but those two get used like CRAZY. I wish Steve would make a good delay....

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Joel, have you ever used the URS or Sonalksis stuff? I really wish I could try out the Massey stuff, but I need AUs. I am demoing the Sonalksis plugs now and have really enjoyed them. URS is supposed to have a new channel strip soon that I am also looking at. Its supposed to have some tape emulation settings.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:26 pm

joel hamilton wrote: I wish Steve would make a good delay....
what delays have you tried and what are they missing?

I'm a (broke) delay whore and I've been largely happy with the delays available in binary land. I mean, it doesn't stop me from using my outboard ones but there's a good stable of itb ones. I particularly love "Tape Delay" from this page: http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml there's some other interesting jobbies on there. Smex's analog delay is nice. that psp82 is nice as well.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Wow. Any Mac versions for any of these? *clasps hands in prayer*

electric sound of jim
ass engineer

Post by electric sound of jim » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 pm

i love massey plugs. it's probably a little unorthodox but i use tape head (with drive set about halfway between 1 and 2) on my stereo bus, on every project i mix. i love what it does to my tracks. fantastic plugin.

speaking of delays, i recently discovered and have fallen in love with fabfilter's timeless. i now prefer it to my PSP delays, which previously you would have had to pry out of my cold dead hands.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:28 pm

red cross wrote:Wow. Any Mac versions for any of these? *clasps hands in prayer*
I'm using Massey plug demos on a mac (money on its way soon I promise). protools, though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:30 pm

I love the Pluggo Space Echo plugin, FWIW...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:57 pm

red cross wrote:
Wow. Any Mac versions for any of these? *clasps hands in prayer*

I'm using Massey plug demos on a mac (money on its way soon I promise). protools, though.
Nah, was referring to them nice looking VST delays syrupcore posted. I love the Masseys too...I use all of em but only paid for the VT3 so far. *hangs head in shame*

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:24 am

toaster3000 wrote:I love the Pluggo Space Echo plugin, FWIW...

john
Ditto that. The warp control, or whatever they call it, can get so extreme! It goes way past a tape wobble effect, to something more like several seconds of audio spooling off a playback reel onto the floor, and then suddenly being jerked back onto the takeup reel at blinding speed. Of course, you can set the warp to zero, and just enjoy the other awesome aspects of the delay (and reverb too!).

My only wish is that they'd make the interface a little friendlier. Not in a "graphics must look like hardware" kind of way, just in a "bigger sliders / better labeled" kind of way:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/pluggo

Leigh

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:15 pm

leigh wrote:Ditto that. The warp control, or whatever they call it, can get so extreme! It goes way past a tape wobble effect, to something more like several seconds of audio spooling off a playback reel onto the floor, and then suddenly being jerked back onto the takeup reel at blinding speed.
That's another thing about ITB delays - it seems like one of the few places where people have really pushed the idea and done some neato stuff with the computer as opposed to generally mimicking it's hardware siblings (compressor plugs for example). people are coming up with delay effects I'd only dream about in hardware.

I imagine mr massey would come up with a delay with perhaps a trick or two but it would sound just great. Joel, I'm guessing that's why you're looking for one from him? Plain old sonic quality.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:01 pm

hey joel,

how many outboard compressors does that have you patching in on an average rock mix or whatever? Just curious, because I can't imagine not using a whole lot of instances of ITB compressors to mix anything these days...or having that many outboard compressors for that matter!
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:23 pm

Wilkesin wrote:hey joel,

how many outboard compressors does that have you patching in on an average rock mix or whatever? Just curious, because I can't imagine not using a whole lot of instances of ITB compressors to mix anything these days...or having that many outboard compressors for that matter!
It depends, but I have enough hardware to get the job done even under demanding circumstances.... Even with a bunch of classics in the racks, I will wind up with a couple plugs... The massey comp is one of them. Like if I have a pultec EQP1 and a gates sta-level on the main vocal, I will sometimes have a de-esser plug of some sort and the massey comp just tapping the vocal at certain points.... Sometimes I will do the same with the bass DI, Once in a great while I will have a massey on a room mic, but that is more rare...

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

tapehead

Post by ideaofnorth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:46 am

I'd like to chime in on the massey lovefest. I've been using his eq pretty much since he introduced it. just bought the tapehead & l2007 yesterday.

the tapehead seems to do a lot with very minimal controls. we were using it to thicken up a very digital, overly sharp sounding mix a friend brought me (70s style funk). tapehead sounded beautiful, added just enough hair for what we were going for, without sounding unnatural. to be fair, i've never used a tape emulation plug before, but feel pretty comfortable with this one right out of the box.

i'll have to play with the l2007 a bit more to get the hang of it. I'm upgrading from an L1, and the l2007 seems much more transparent to me, a bit difficult to tell what it's doing, but I guess I'm used to hearing more of the Waves crunch. any advice on settings for different types of music? i read massey's page on it, but am curious about real-world opinions, too.

i really think anyone who can remotely afford plugs should support this guy. they definitely have their own sound, tons of character, and his pricing and customer support is completely respectful. i use the vt3 on everything i do at this point.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 am

*waits patiently for VSTs*