PT LE playback (very basic)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drake Speedball
audio school graduate

PT LE playback (very basic)

Post by Drake Speedball » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:09 am

Sorry for the dumb question, but I am baffled.

The other day I was messing around with my settings in protools (can't remember why) and changed some sort of default.

Previously, in the edit window, when I clicked on a waveform the cursor would go to that position and play from there when the spacebar was pressed. After playback, the audio would start from the original position of the cursor. Handy for checking fades, etc.

Now I have changed something - after stopping the audio, playback begins from the last position of the cursor, instead of "jumping" back to the original cursor position, so I have to stop playback and manually click in the region where I want playback to start. I've searched everything I can think of, but can't figure out how to change it back.

Sorry for the confusing post, but this is driving me batty!

Thanks for any help,

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:17 am

go to the "operations" settings, and un-check the "timeline insertion follows playback" box. should be one of the first ones on the left side.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:59 am

Funny, I ran into this issue last night and was about to really freak out after a while. I was just getting ready to post the same question. Thanks for the post and reply - you articulated it better than I would have.

Any idea how this randomly gets switched on without going anywhere near the "operations" menu? It's really annoying and I'd like to avoid it in the future.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:07 am

That's an undocumented feature. Drives me crazy too. I actually do know some engineers who prefer it the other way, and that's fine, but when I get sessions back from them I always forget, and then the first time I play something and the cursor vanishes it's "oh, yeah. damn." Open up the prefs...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Drake Speedball
audio school graduate

Post by Drake Speedball » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:12 pm

Thank you guys so much!

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks for asking this question. It's been bugging the hell of me for weeks. Is their some of key combination that causes this to turn on and annoy me?
Kyle

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Actually, the quick key for that is the letter "N", which is (unfortunately) just above the spacebar. It is only the quick key when A-Z is activated in the top left hand corner of the edit window. Total PITA. I hit it all the time with frantic spacebar handling.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:02 pm

It's Ctrl+N without the A..z activated.

Not sure if anyone's still reading this post, but anyone know a quick key to activate the A..z button. I know it's Opt+Apple+3 to turn it off(which I never use), but would love to be able to turn it on when I open someone elses session and it's off. It sucks I know how to turn it off, but never do, and not how to turn it on, which I always do
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:09 pm

dwlb wrote:That's an undocumented feature. Drives me crazy too. I actually do know some engineers who prefer it the other way, and that's fine, but when I get sessions back from them I always forget, and then the first time I play something and the cursor vanishes it's "oh, yeah. damn." Open up the prefs...
Hmm... It's in MY copy of the manual. And on the Method 1 DVD.

I actually find I switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing. For instance, if I'm doing automation passes and I don't want to do a whole pass at once, I'll set insertion to follow playback so I don't have to navigate back to where I just hit stop.

There's also the ability to unlink timeline and edit selections. I haven't quite figured out how to make that do anything useful for me yet.

Todd Wilcox