How old were you when you opened your first studio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:17 pm

I'll bet I win the geriatric price. 47.
I'm sorry, try again! I was 49 when I opened for business. Amazingly, after 25 years in construction, I'm not deaf.
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 pm

cgarges wrote: Hey Rob,

Did you just bow out of your place or did it actually close?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
We closed the central ave shop at the end of the year. Jeff has plans to reopen over in North Davidson. I have plans of getting a real job and actually making some money this year. I'll probably keep my hand in it, but not as the primary engineer.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:02 pm

leftofthedial wrote: Jeff has plans to reopen over in North Davidson.
Huh. Lots of houses with studios in them popping up in that area.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:39 pm

I started to fart around with recording "things" when I first dicovered guitar around age 6. Got my first digital system at age 18. Then my computer had a fairly typical hard drive of a whopping 1.1 GB! Soon found out it was great for midi but sucked for audio. Went to an 8 track Tascam porta.

Actually started charging people for recording at age 19. By 21 I had a pretty substantial home studio all digital with analog mixdown to tape if wanted. Co-owned a studio at 25. Now, with the same business parter, we operate out of a commercial studio to track and mix at my home studio. I'm now 29. Many many dollars invested and lots of headaches! But I still love it.

Someday in the hopefully near future, I can build from the ground up a tracking room at my home. However, I love going to a "real studio" with the massive console and 24 track reel to reel machine because that is what I first imagined working at when I really got into this. I already own a nice console and with a little luck, a 24 track reel to reel too!
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

Old-Draftsman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Old-Draftsman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:02 pm

river wrote:
I'm sorry, try again! I was 49 when I opened for business. Amazingly, after 25 years in construction, I'm not deaf.
Just turned 60, been recording folks almost 2 years. Now about that geriatric thing...

8)
I'm old, tired, busted, impatient and my feet hurt that's why I sit all the time. Deal with it and hand me that remote while you're close.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 am

cgarges wrote: Huh. Lots of houses with studios in them popping up in that area.
Not sure about the rest of 'em, but this place is zoned Industrial so hours of operation won't be an issue, and it's a pretty big space. Should make for a pretty cool home recording studio.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

jetboatguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by jetboatguy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:24 pm

I was always recording from the age of 16 unward... but at the age of 25, the reality and prospects of me opening a studio really hit hard the day I inherited an old Neve Melbourne console.

this is the really short version of this story....
"Digital?
Is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and they chop it up into little bits?" --- Rupert Neve

river
pushin' record

Post by river » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Just turned 60, been recording folks almost 2 years. Now about that geriatric thing...
I tip my hat to the east. God Bless Ya!
"Madam, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be ugly" Winston Churchill

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:10 am

Damn, you're older than dirt, man. Geezers rule!

Old-Draftsman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Old-Draftsman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:09 am

8th_note wrote:
Damn, you're older than dirt, man. Geezers rule!
I resemble that... and I'm cantankerous too. (I'm told) heh heh heh :twisted:
I'm old, tired, busted, impatient and my feet hurt that's why I sit all the time. Deal with it and hand me that remote while you're close.

fireproof
pushin' record

how old .....started studio

Post by fireproof » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:29 am

When I was 15 I would take my tascam porta 1 and some 58's and a mixer to bands basements or rehearsal space's and record their demo for 200$ a weekend
saved up and bought a tascam 38 8 track and got "Studio Red" going when I was 18
recorded Dumptruck,Gigolo Aunts,Madder Rose demo's on that machine and then was able to buy a 1 inch 16 track Tascam ms-16 when they returned to do records with me.

Adam

www.adamlasus.com

rmills
audio school graduate

Post by rmills » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 am

I bought my first 4-track at 15 and started recording local bands right away. I'm celebrating one year in a dedicated space today - also my 27th birthday. Best job ever.

xhavepatiencex
takin' a dinner break

Post by xhavepatiencex » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:57 am

I've been recording music since i was about 16 with me and all my friends. I opened a "real" studio and started to take everything alot more seriously about a year ago, I am 22 right now. I always wanted to record bands, and I hated working normal jobs. So I just figured I should probably start doing just that.

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:16 pm

river wrote:
I'm right there with you guys. While I built my studio about five years ago when I was 46, it took me a couple of years to get everything together to turn "pro." I did my first paid session when I was 48. I'm 51 now and just finished up a project for a Grammy winner, and things are starting to pick up nicely. I quit my job as a teacher 1 1/2 years ago, so the studio, along with my piano tuning/tech side work, is my main source of income now. The best thing is that my studio is in my backyard, so I walk to work. Life is good up on this hill.

Cheers,
--
Don

Old-Draftsman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Old-Draftsman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:30 pm

idylldon wrote:
river wrote:
I'm right there with you guys. While I built my studio about five years ago when I was 46, it took me a couple of years to get everything together to turn "pro." I did my first paid session when I was 48. I'm 51 now and just finished up a project for a Grammy winner, and things are starting to pick up nicely. I quit my job as a teacher 1 1/2 years ago, so the studio, along with my piano tuning/tech side work, is my main source of income now. The best thing is that my studio is in my backyard, so I walk to work. Life is good up on this hill.

Cheers,

--
Don
:wink: youngins' :wink: