Hidden Treasure Mics- Post Yours!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:48 am

AKG D1000E is a killer microphone. I used them on toms a bunch of times, and on certain guitar sounds, like 335 through a princeton type of sounds, the D1000E can be great. It is the silver one with the weird solid grill stuff on it. They are pretty indestructable as well. Those can be found for stupid cheap. I havent pulled mine out in quite some time, but they are really cool.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Bumperella!

I started this thread over a YEAR AGO! Thanks for posting guys!!!

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Turner Model 505. '50's-'60's mic, Hand the highest SPL during it's time. Created by demand of bands with loud amps/sources and apparently used to record Space shuttles taking off. It's Hi-Z and it's my hidden treasure because it complements my voice better than any I've heard so far. It's got a lot of bit, like alot, without too much silibance, ( or feedback suprisingly).
Got it BRAND NEW, IN BOX, Not a scratch, w/cord for like $25 at the bay!

(Shhhhhh)
- :twisted:

jakeao
steve albini likes it

Post by jakeao » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 pm

I recently got this old ass Shure CR80F for free. Come to find it's worth a few hundred bucks ( yippy for garage sales :) ) I really like it on clean electric guitar.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:30 am

I've got a shure sm53 thats pretty sweet. It sounds really good on guitar amps. I also like it on snare, it gets a little more bit in the low mids. I also heard that the white stripes used it on thier kick once.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Smitty wrote:
junkshop wrote:
Cyan421 wrote:Image

Jesus! Yes!
I have one of those in my junk drawer. I'll have to pull it out again. It's a vey cool odd ball mic. I've used it as an under snare mic with good success and also under the drummer's seat.
I got mine for $20 at a junk store in Winnipeg.
i've seen very similar mics branded under the Voice of Music name.
Looks a lot like the ElectroVoice 924 crystal mic. Good harmonica microphone.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:27 am

This might not be obscure enough but no one posted it yet:

Shure ksm137. Pretty much a 141 w/o the omni switch. The selectable pad (0, -15, -25) and flat response w/ selectable high pass filter has helped it find its way in my studio to:

Snare, acoustic guitar, electric amp, ambient mic.

I bet it's good on toms but haven't tried it. $300 new. Find em for 200 on ebay.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:25 pm

I've heard some good comments on the old AKG d12 (e?) for bass & kick, (the predecessor of the d112), anyone have any luck with these?
Depends which 12 or 12e you get and what you pay -- the consensus on Gearslutz is that at this point in their aging process each individual mic has its own frequency response curve. Might not be able to get it fixed; I read online that AKG has run out of parts (capsules?).

My 12e was $225 on the 'bay and it's got a lot of bottom, in a good way, without much top; this kinda matches the frequency chart, so not sure if it's lost highs or not. It combines well with another mic on kick -- the 12e fills in the lows.

They seem like a crapshoot, although some folks love 'em. The "Beatle mic" hype doesn't help the prices.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Re secret mics, I would say the akg 3000b for hand drums, but every time I do that someone here throws things at me.

So I won't.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:29 am

just picked up a sony f-32 (hi-z) on ebay. great squeezed sound for crunchy guitars and background vocals. and it's cool looking.

gonna try it on kick this weekend.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

segaface
steve albini likes it

Re: Fav bargains

Post by segaface » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:59 pm

hairylarry wrote: Realistic 1070b (1070c 1070d) Omni Dynamic

My secret weapon for field recording. Manufactured for Radio Shack by Shure. It looks exactly like an EV RE50. It has an extended frequency range which makes it better for recording some things than the 635 and RE50 interview mics. More like a PL9 or an RE55.

These are extremely versatile mics. Great for recording the whole band in stereo. Great on acoustic guitar. I even sang a vocal through mine on the new CD.

The c and d versions are the same mic painted black. The d version has the magic word Shure printed on it so it goes the highest. The 1070b mics are on ebay all the time for $20-$30. You can sometimes get a pair for $30-$40.
Big ups to Larry for this tip. I managed to snag one of these mics for about $12 a few months ago. It's a fun mic, and it's worked surprisingly well for lots of stuff.
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

skythemusic
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by skythemusic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:51 pm

I'll throw an EVin there. I have been using my 664a all the time lately as my 57's are starting to get dusty. I'll also +1 Joel on the AKG D1000e. I haven't throw it up in a bit but sometimes it is just the deal for the old sounds trashy alone but sits perfectly in the mix trick.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm

modded 219.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:58 pm

skythemusic wrote:I'll throw an EVin there. I have been using my 664a all the time lately as my 57's are starting to get dusty.
+1. It's great on bass cab too. Really, really great for Ricky type basses or Mustangs.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:30 am

percussion boy wrote:Re secret mics, I would say the akg 3000b for hand drums, but every time I do that someone here throws things at me.

So I won't.
No shame in the hand drum bro man- just make sure you get some hemp cable ties so you don't trip over your sandals....shyah!