Hidden Treasure Mics- Post Yours!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JohnnyDemonic
ass engineer

Post by JohnnyDemonic » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:09 am

junkshop wrote:
skythemusic wrote:I'll throw an EVin there. I have been using my 664a all the time lately as my 57's are starting to get dusty.
+1. It's great on bass cab too. Really, really great for Ricky type basses or Mustangs.
also fantastic on snare top or bottom for a bit of sizzle

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:59 am

I just borrowed an EV 664 from a friend this past weekend and it worked great for under snare and guitar.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:24 pm

EV664...the SM57/58 of its day...a good general purpose mic
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:09 pm

losthighway wrote:
percussion boy wrote:Re secret mics, I would say the akg 3000b for hand drums, but every time I do that someone here throws things at me.

So I won't.
No shame in the hand drum bro man- just make sure you get some hemp cable ties so you don't trip over your sandals....shyah!
Actually, the hippies all live in Mendocino County now, growing things.

The Gefell m300 is the secret mic for the little bell I ring while gazing into my crystal.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:15 pm

percussion boy wrote:
losthighway wrote:
percussion boy wrote:Re secret mics, I would say the akg 3000b for hand drums, but every time I do that someone here throws things at me.

So I won't.
No shame in the hand drum bro man- just make sure you get some hemp cable ties so you don't trip over your sandals....shyah!
Actually, the hippies all live in Mendocino County now, growing things.

The Gefell m300 is the secret mic for the little bell I ring while gazing into my crystal.
crystals are COOL!

*wishes for more pot cookies*

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey, guys.

You know about www.coutant.org right?

Amazing.

I found the mic I was hearing. It turned out to be an EV omni.

The greatest mono drum room sound mic ever. Nasty. Lo-fi but lots of depth on the trails. I never EQ it. Just gorgeous.

Also, my Karma K58 multipattern tube is my golden vocal mic. Upgraded a crucial capacitor and put a NOS Telefunken 12AX7 in it. Let it warm up for about 5-7 hours. I get up real close to it and sing along to tracks from 'Revolver' or Iron and Wine's 'Our Endless Numbered Days' and it's exactly the same. I mix myself into existing songs to see what mics sound like what.

FYI, MXL 2003 = The Zombies' 'Odyssey and Oracle' when you dip 9k just a smidge.
Last edited by themagicmanmdt on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:16 pm

themagicmanmdt wrote:Hey, guys.

You know about www.coutant.org, right?
The link didn't work. What is the site?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:18 pm

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 am

I almost hate giving this up in fear that it will drive the price up on evil bay. But, here goes.

the AT3525.

They only made this for a few years and is pretty much forgotten. The cool thing about this mic is that I can put it in front of real loud sources that usually are too much for my other condensors and I still have to raise the trim/gain. They sound great on everything but really shine on loud stuff and drums. The shockmount for it is real usefull for angling it in spaces like over toms. These go for as little as $85 on ebay. I have three of them and want more. They remind me soundwise of my at4033's with a lot more room for volume levels.

Also, +1 on the Peavey 520i. Fantastic versitle mic for the $. It really is the poor mans re20.

Also, I like my cad 179 on my tenor sax and cello. The high end on it does not seem as shrill as some of my other cheap LDC's. A really nice mic for the $ and the polar pattern buttons on the mic are cool.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:03 pm

I know it's not a sought after vintage mic, but I end up using my AKG perception 200 on anything you need a LDC for, but are afraid you'll damage the capsule. From a foam covered acoustic bass body mic, live bar recordings, kick, snare bottom micing, amps, and it's even pretty good on vox. Great little mic for under 200 with a pad and roll off. Plus it comes with a shock mount and case. I got the coverage plan from Guitar center and the shock mount broke so they cut me a check for a whole new one since it's a set. So technically it was even free.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:25 pm

audio technica pro37r

great for just about anything you can throw at it...

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:26 pm

casey campbell wrote:audio technica pro37r

I have 2! I've not used them on much but overheads. Thanks to this thread, I'm gonna try them on acoustic guitar and probably other stuff too.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:05 pm

themagicmanmdt wrote: I found the mic I was hearing. It turned out to be an EV omni.

The greatest mono drum room sound mic ever. Nasty. Lo-fi but lots of depth on the trails. I never EQ it. Just gorgeous.
My co-worker handed me one of those last week and said he didn't want it anymore. I only got to test it a little bit but I liked it quite a bit. Seem to need a ton of gain, but other than that I can't wait to use it in a session.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:35 am

getreel wrote:
casey campbell wrote:audio technica pro37r

I have 2! I've not used them on much but overheads. Thanks to this thread, I'm gonna try them on acoustic guitar and probably other stuff too.
i love it for electric guitar stuff and snare too.