Hidden Treasure Mics- Post Yours!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:27 am

KennyLusk wrote:
river wrote:
Also the EV RE38 for kick and certain vox...
AT3035 is my go to mic for lots of things....vocals, electric guitar cabs, acoustic guitar, piano, upright bass, alto & tenor sax, room mic. So freakin' useful for the $$
+1 for the 3035 here. Sometimes you can find them NIB on ebay for $130 (that's how I got mine) and there's virtually no self noise and no hype anywhere on the spectrum. Smooth as silk.

Discovered just the day before yesterday that with a windscreen it's the best thing I've used yet for native american flute. Posted a simple track using it on my soundclick space if anyone's interested. "Forest Speak" is the name of the track. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=117445

Highly recommend the 3035 for anyone doing woodwinds and flutes.
See, my go to LDC is a Studio Projects B3. How do you think the B3 compares to the 3035?

And to add to this thread, I don't really have any interesting mics like all these EV's that people are mentioning, but I use the MK012 (old Russian ones) for all kinds of stuff. They are great for drum overheads when you are recording multiple people in the same room because they're so freakin directional. The detail is so flattering too. Love em.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

if6was9
audio school graduate

Post by if6was9 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:03 pm

I like the Radio Shack PRO-3010. It is very natural sounding compared to my other dynamics.
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at http://HobbyhorseMusic.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:13 pm

aye, those old Realistic/Radio Shack mics range from gnarly to gnice (cringe).

thar be gold in them thar mics.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:00 pm

And yours is...???
Me? I had none, thats why I asked- Now I have a bunch- Thanks Guys!- :twisted: [/quote]

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:06 am

OK, well I have to be Mister Farty-Pants here and throw in the obligatory contrary opinion.

I got an EV 635A based on many well-regarded opinions here and I don't really like it at all. It's alright and it looks cool in a slightly effeminate 60's talk show kind of way but sonically, it seems to rank a clear second to a 57 on every source, it just kind of has a blurred midrange and not a particularly musical response to my ears. Sure, it can sound cool on the odd electric guitar amp every now and then, but you can pretty much say that about *every* mic ever made. ;)

Now for the 012... back when you could get one for $100 at GC, they were definately worth it, they are perfectly usable SDC's for the cost of a dynamic, great deal. Now at $173, they are a good buy but they don't compare to a Schoeps, or a 451 or anything like that, but who would expect them to, then again, I have an "outdated" one so maybe the new ones are better.

OK, so now on to my favorite mics...

The Shure SM5B - basically an early SM7 that I was lucky enough to pick up, just a great all-around dynamic, almost sounds like a condensor if you boost the top-end just a hair.

Geffell/RFT PM-750/MV692, these things are practically Neumanns and you can still pick them up at pretty damn good prices sometimes, they are weird as has been said, but they are really nice on acoustics guitars, a *huge* step above the MK012, especially if you can score one with an M70 capsule.

And my real favorite do-it-all mic: the Royer R121! I know it ain't cheap, but if you can swing it, you will not regret it, this guy just sounds great on everything and really shines once you start layering tracks, you get that "it mixes itself" thing happening pretty quickly.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:19 am

I have a pair of 60's Sennheiser MD408's that are amazing on cabs. I think i paid $100 each for them a while back on ebay.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:06 pm

A-Barr wrote:OK, well I have to be Mister Farty-Pants here and throw in the obligatory contrary opinion.
I got an EV 635A based on many well-regarded opinions here and I don't really like it at all. .
yea, you know, i just dont have that much love for a lot of classic EV mics either. i've had the re-50 which i think is pretty much a 635A. didnt like it. peaky in an annoying way.

i've gone thru re-18s, re-15s, 666s... none of them did anything for me.

i like the re-20 when i have had a chance to use one, and i LOVE the 408.

maybe its because i would rather have a more extended top and just roll it off myself when i mix??? i dunno. like i would rather reach for my sm76 and fudge it later.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Yeah, sm76 is nice. Haven't used mine in a while though, I'll have to take it out.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:52 pm

ubertar wrote:Yeah, sm76 is nice. Haven't used mine in a while though, I'll have to take it out.
yea, you were the one who "turned me on".

just recently used it on a bass cab... like a microinch from the speaker. sounded super cool.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:30 pm

A-Barr wrote:
OK, well I have to be Mister Farty-Pants here and throw in the obligatory contrary opinion.
I got an EV 635A based on many well-regarded opinions here and I don't really like it at all. .

yea, you know, i just dont have that much love for a lot of classic EV mics either. i've had the re-50 which i think is pretty much a 635A. didnt like it. peaky in an annoying way.

i've gone thru re-18s, re-15s, 666s... none of them did anything for me.

From all the discussions of cheap used gear- these are all pretty well regarded. Man, I had high hopes to get most of the old ev mics. Maybe I'll do a bit more research. I've heard some good comments on the old AKG d12 (e?) for bass & kick, (the predecessor of the d112), anyone have any luck with these?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:45 pm

*watches eel and ube play the peeahhnoh and fly the AEROplayne*

:wink:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

SMC Productions
alignin' 24-trk

Post by SMC Productions » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 pm

ubertar wrote:Yeah, sm76 is nice. Haven't used mine in a while though, I'll have to take it out.
Any idea where to find one? They are a bit 'scarce'! :shock:
Calcitra Clunis
http://smcstudios.we.bs/

Goldenvoice
audio school graduate

Post by Goldenvoice » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 am

Reslosound Beatles "Shaver" microphones. I scored a couple of them at an estate sale last year for like $3. One works - the other doesn't, but could be reribboned.

This is Stellar on guitar cabs. Keeps the huge, and the buzz, and the power, but smooths everything over - like in making a record!

Goldenvoice :lol:

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:59 am

SMC Productions wrote:
ebay. They don't come up very often. There's a version with a built in cable that sometimes goes for less, and a variation that was sold as a measuring mic, ES-615. I have one of those and a sm76. The only difference is the color and the impedance. Also the 76 screen protrudes from the tube a bit, while on the 615 it's flat. I got the 615 to be able to use the two as a pair for drums, but then I sold my drum kit, so it hasn't gotten used in a while. The 615 is 50 ohms and the 76 can be set up for 38 or 150.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:30 am

ubertar wrote:
SMC Productions wrote:
ebay. They don't come up very often. There's a version with a built in cable that sometimes goes for less, and a variation that was sold as a measuring mic, ES-615. I have one of those and a sm76. The only difference is the color and the impedance. Also the 76 screen protrudes from the tube a bit, while on the 615 it's flat. I got the 615 to be able to use the two as a pair for drums, but then I sold my drum kit, so it hasn't gotten used in a while. The 615 is 50 ohms and the 76 can be set up for 38 or 150.
Is the sm76 the same as the 576?