Hidden Treasure Mics- Post Yours!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:40 am

I think the 576 is the one with the built-in cable.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 am

lightandmind wrote:
A-Barr wrote:
OK, well I have to be Mister Farty-Pants here and throw in the obligatory contrary opinion.
I got an EV 635A based on many well-regarded opinions here and I don't really like it at all. .

yea, you know, i just dont have that much love for a lot of classic EV mics either. i've had the re-50 which i think is pretty much a 635A. didnt like it. peaky in an annoying way.

i've gone thru re-18s, re-15s, 666s... none of them did anything for me.
From all the discussions of cheap used gear- these are all pretty well regarded. Man, I had high hopes to get most of the old ev mics. Maybe I'll do a bit more research. I've heard some good comments on the old AKG d12 (e?) for bass & kick, (the predecessor of the d112), anyone have any luck with these?
try them out nonetheless. lots of people like them a lot. and really EV's hold their value pretty well, if you wait till you get a good deal, you can find a 635 for $20, use it for a year, and sell it for $30.

whats the harm?

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:35 am

eeldip wrote:
lightandmind wrote:
A-Barr wrote:
OK, well I have to be Mister Farty-Pants here and throw in the obligatory contrary opinion.
I got an EV 635A based on many well-regarded opinions here and I don't really like it at all. .

yea, you know, i just dont have that much love for a lot of classic EV mics either. i've had the re-50 which i think is pretty much a 635A. didnt like it. peaky in an annoying way.

i've gone thru re-18s, re-15s, 666s... none of them did anything for me.
From all the discussions of cheap used gear- these are all pretty well regarded. Man, I had high hopes to get most of the old ev mics. Maybe I'll do a bit more research. I've heard some good comments on the old AKG d12 (e?) for bass & kick, (the predecessor of the d112), anyone have any luck with these?
try them out nonetheless. lots of people like them a lot. and really EV's hold their value pretty well, if you wait till you get a good deal, you can find a 635 for $20, use it for a year, and sell it for $30.

whats the harm?
+1
I love my 635a, but it also depends on the style of music I'm recording. They are inexpensive enough (don't wanna say cheap, they're built like a rock)

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:14 pm

That's the sm76 and es615, side by side. The grey one is the sm76. The shiny metallic one is the es615.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:09 pm

ubertar wrote:That's the sm76 and es615, side by side. The grey one is the sm76. The shiny metallic one is the es615.

Might as well make it a trifecta. Here is the 576, with attached cord. Mine has a lovely slate blue finish.

pietro79
gimme a little kick & snare

contact mics!

Post by pietro79 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:30 pm

did anyone mention homemade contact mics?

As far as mixing in colour, there's much experimenting to be enjoyed with them...

different parts of any vibrating anything! snares skin or shell, guitar cabs, ovens, walls, sternums

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Langevin CR-2001. Great, great mic for the price (around $750). Unfortunately Manley/Langevin discontinued them last year, because they say they couldn't compete with all the budget import mics. Too bad, 'cause it's definitely one of my favorites.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:16 pm

a pair of Webcor hi-Z dynamic mics with silly RCA jacks on them, very flavourful.

*waves to eeldip yet again*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Wainwright
gettin' sounds

My mic

Post by Wainwright » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:31 pm

beyer m55 omni, about 2" off the ground on a cment or wood floor pointed 45 off axis from the source.
((( Sucking in Stereo )))

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Secret weapon mics

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:54 pm

Old Turner dynamic with attached cord - 1/4 phone plug. Drop it into a tuba and sing in the bell. Run the mic into an old Ampeg tube amp with the tremolo stuck on. This is the secret of the much coveted Las Vegas on Mars vocal sound and I am not kidding.

Beyerdynamic STM 20 - an SDC for podium use. $15 on ebay including shipping and it has a nice raspy mid peak. This will put the softest sounding vocalist up front in the mix. A bit noisy but noise is your friend.

Peavey 520i dynamic with Neo-Dynium magnet. I guess at one point Peavey was going to try to be the be-all-end-all for all audio products and spent a lot of money on R&D. Didn't sell as well as it deserved and can be had for under $100. This is a lot of mic for the money and you can put black tape over the Peavey so your friends will never know.

Just got a Labtec AM-252 at Goodwill for .99. It seems to be a SDC, need to rewire it as it draws power from a stereo mini plug (computer mic). I am going to guess that it will make an interesting room mic, or for stuff you want to sound bad. I may be back on this one.
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:14 am

Sounds amazing plugged into a sans amp with the tube sound up quite a bit. Has this crazy bandpass mid thwack kinda sound. Over the drummers shoulder pointed between the hats and the snare. its a total bitch to connect it to a mic stand. Lots of tape is the only way.

I have no idea what it is, but it was in a box that said Silvertone. I'm not sure if it was the correct box. I've looked before in the interweb for it without luck. I'm pretty sure my great grandfather used it to record into an old four track consumer tape machine of the day.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:56 am

None of these will be a surprise but cost vs performance they are still a bargain:

Lomo 19A19. Amazing Tube LDC that holds it's own to any of the classics that cost many thousands more.

Sennheiser MD409. Crazy good on electric guitar and rock vocals.

Coles 4038. Every bit as good as the hype. Very rounded off top end. Smooths rough edges out but can make things sound a bit wooly if used on the wrong source.

EV666. I know others earlier in this post said they don't care for it but I love mine. Not a crisp mic at all. Actually more like the Coles in the way it rounds off rough top end. A great smoothing charcteristic.

hairylarry
audio school

Fav bargains

Post by hairylarry » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:17 am

Hi,

I've read this thread and enjoyed it quite a bit. Since I'm always broke my mics are all budget mics. Here's some of my favorites. I used these recording the new Flying Hungarians CD.

Realistic 1070b (1070c 1070d) Omni Dynamic

My secret weapon for field recording. Manufactured for Radio Shack by Shure. It looks exactly like an EV RE50. It has an extended frequency range which makes it better for recording some things than the 635 and RE50 interview mics. More like a PL9 or an RE55.

These are extremely versatile mics. Great for recording the whole band in stereo. Great on acoustic guitar. I even sang a vocal through mine on the new CD.

The c and d versions are the same mic painted black. The d version has the magic word Shure printed on it so it goes the highest. The 1070b mics are on ebay all the time for $20-$30. You can sometimes get a pair for $30-$40.

Audio Technica ATM25 Cardiod Dynamic

This is a pro kick mic for under $100 used. Very versatile. Good for anything bassy and loud.

Audio Technica Pro 37 (37r) Cardiod Condenser

Cardiod SDC. Famous for drum overheads. Good for acoustic guitar. Kind of like an MXL 603 with more detail in the high end. The 37r is the same mic as the 37, just older.

Peavey 520i Cardiod Dynamic

Called a poor mans SM7. Good for horns, bass instruments, loud vocals. It stayed on the bass cab during recording and I also sang several vocals through it.

Beyer M400 Soundstar II Cardiod Dynamic

Harvey Gerst recommends this mic if you can't afford an SM7. So I got one. They usually run $150 but I lucked out and paid under $100. Sounds great on vocals. I haven't done any recording with mine yet.

Audio Technica AT4054 Cardiod Condenser

This is a fantastic high end vocal mic. Designed for stage use but perfectly at home in a studio. The 4054 has bass rolloff. The 4055 no bass rolloff. The AE5400 replaces these mics with switched bass rolloff. The AE5400 is high. You can't find the 4055. The 4054 is the bargain.

Usually runs around $150 but I worked ebay hard for about 6 months and got one from the Grammy Awards for $110.

EV RE10, RE11 Cardiod Dynamic

These are the least expensive in the RE10-18 family. The RE10 is for instruments. The RE11 is for vocals. Either is good on guitar cabs. More treble and cut than an SM57. The RE10 kills on blues harp. Versatile, general purpose, indestructible.

M-Audio DMP2 DMP3 Preamp/Direct Box

This preamp will make all your mics sound better. This is the best bargain in quality preamps. Compared to low end mix boards we are talking about a big noticeable difference especially in high end detail so important to acoustic instruments. Two channels for about $150. DMP2s are rare but much cheaper.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:06 am

Cyan421 wrote:Image

Jesus! Yes!
I have one of those in my junk drawer. I'll have to pull it out again. It's a vey cool odd ball mic. I've used it as an under snare mic with good success and also under the drummer's seat.
I got mine for $20 at a junk store in Winnipeg.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 am

junkshop wrote:
Cyan421 wrote:Image

Jesus! Yes!
I have one of those in my junk drawer. I'll have to pull it out again. It's a vey cool odd ball mic. I've used it as an under snare mic with good success and also under the drummer's seat.
I got mine for $20 at a junk store in Winnipeg.
i've seen very similar mics branded under the Voice of Music name.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks