Jeff Buckley Guitar Sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:09 pm

I saw him in Madison WI at the Barrymore theatre and he definitely had a quadraverb with settings that were almost 100% wet for one setting that sounded like a church organ, he would lightly fingerpick and the sound was this lush chord with no individual picking sounds. It was really beautiful. But there was very little slur when he changed chords. I've never been able to figure out how he pulled it off.

He played a black Les Paul standard or custom that he bought in town that day (said so during the show). He definitely had a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 combo. But he had more than one amp on stage and I don't remember what the other(s) were.

He transisioned from Halleluia to the MC5s "kick out the jams" playing an acoustic through the guitar amp, at one point he kicked in the lead channel or a distortion box and did a feedback solo with the acoustic howling like a wounded beast. It was amazing.

My memory of that night is so superior to what I hear on the Mystery White Boy tour that I wonder if he was just really 'on' that night or if I've just romanticised it in my head.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:44 pm

great story man. funny though, i always just picture him playing a tele.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo