LUBRICATE THY BURNER!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

LUBRICATE THY BURNER!!!!!!

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:10 pm

CD Player hell this week. Spitting errors and chatter from my main Yamaha standalone player. Skipping all over the first few tracks of a disc- no matter what disc.

I took the thing apart and figured since it tracked later tunes, it had to be speed related. I lubricated the main spindle the thing works amazing now.

Backing up data for the past few months too my main CD Burner had begun failing alot of discs. Putting 2 and 2 together from the previous fix, I figured I'd try a similar thing. The burner is a Yamaha SCSI unit that runs around $300 new so I figured in it's present state, it was gonna get replaced so if I couldn't fix so I had nothing to lose.

Once I got it out of the plastic and case and got all the metal panels off it, I did the same thing I had done to the CD player. BINGO. Same result. Not only that, the burner- which has never been able to burn at 44x speed can now do so without failing during finalization or verifying.

F-in weird. Lubrication seems to be imperative for these meager spindles on these- now not so disposable products.

My words of advice, don't pitch 'em, fix 'em. It's no brainer simple to do with a Q-tip and bit of 3 in 1 oil.

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:39 pm

and what did you lubricate your drives with?....whoops, i see now. 3 in 1 oil.....

sounds like a good tip - i have a couple of old external SCSI drives that are getting kinda old.