Every record someone that just STARES at you while he plays?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:16 pm

Ha ha
I've recorded guys like this too. It always seems to be while they're playing some part they feel is really killer, like what do I do clap my hands and hop up and down?
I bet if this guy was to play you a CD of a band he really liked he would do the same thing, stare at you to make sure you hear how kick-ass this CD is.
Anyway it is funny.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:28 pm

apparently when I am playing guitar I stare at people with a "pissed off" look on my face. I was completely unaware of it until a drummer got completely unnerved, stopped in the middle of a song and said"look, man I don't know what I did, but I am sorry". When I asked him what the hell he was talking about he told me I was looking at him like I wanted to kill him.
This has happened several times over the years with different people. I'm just zoning out, it doesn't mean anything. Call him out on it I bet he doesn't know he's doing it.
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Everybody's X wrote:apparently when I am playing guitar I stare at people with a "pissed off" look on my face.
i did the same thing until sometime in 1995 when i saw myself playing a gig on videotape.

i looked like i was gonna leap off the stage and murder someone. :lol:

nowadays i just look like i'm losing my mind.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Moonrider
audio school graduate

Post by Moonrider » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm gonna say he doesn't even realize he's doing it.

It could be worse.

When I'm in the zone I drool.

Slobber all over myself on a good day :oops:
"When electric currents go through
them, guitars start making sounds. So would anybody."
http://www.soundclick.com/jamesproject

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:25 pm

haha, ive done the drooling thing before, most embarassing. Ive done it a couple times at practice :oops:

numberrr
ass engineer

Post by numberrr » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:17 am

hahahhaha sooo i was eating a peanut butter sandwich at the session today, and every time he looked at me while playing, i opened my mouth real wide to show him. he got confused and i was like "what, i thought you wanted to see?" PROBLEM SOLVED

sometimes, you gotta bust out some playground shit :P

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:49 pm

numberrr wrote:hahahhaha sooo i was eating a peanut butter sandwich at the session today, and every time he looked at me while playing, i opened my mouth real wide to show him. he got confused and i was like "what, i thought you wanted to see?" PROBLEM SOLVED

sometimes, you gotta bust out some playground shit :P
SWEET! Nice move man. Hard to wink when your eating a P&J isn't it?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:30 pm

RefD wrote:.... nowadays i just look like i'm losing my mind.
such a clever disguise!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:56 pm

Everybody's X wrote:apparently when I am playing guitar I stare at people with a "pissed off" look on my face. I was completely unaware of it until a drummer got completely unnerved, stopped in the middle of a song and said"look, man I don't know what I did, but I am sorry". When I asked him what the hell he was talking about he told me I was looking at him like I wanted to kill him.
This has happened several times over the years with different people. I'm just zoning out, it doesn't mean anything. Call him out on it I bet he doesn't know he's doing it.
Me too. my family is all Eastern European (Russian on my dad's side, Hungarian on my mom's), so I guess I have a tendency to look all Ivan the Terrible while playing. A guitarist I've played with for years once commented on it, I had no idea. Now I try to smile more, so I just like I should be institutionalized...

Also, I have drooled on myself while playing a bass solo at a really nice jazz club before. Pretty embarassing

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:08 am

i discovered a while ago that i tend to stick out my lower jaw when playing guitar (caught myself in a mirror). vanity prevailed and now i try to be more conscious about relaxing. might even help my playing, i don't know...i also realized that i rarely ever look up when playing keyboards (probably because it's not my first instrument, and i'm less comfortable in general with it). anyway, i think its good to try to break some of these habits- it can only help one's presence of mind & therefore communication while playing with others.

and can avoid glimpsing a mouthful of pb&j on occasion.