Every record someone that just STARES at you while he plays?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

numberrr
ass engineer

Every record someone that just STARES at you while he plays?

Post by numberrr » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:08 pm

Im recording this band right now, pretty talented, especially the guitar player. In fact, hes seriously amazing at his instrument. Thing is, dude totally STARES at me while hes playing. Like, into my soul. Doesnt look at his hands, his pedals, just stares intensly at me. If im not in the room, he'll do it to one of his band mates. WHAT THE HELL? It feels so awkward that i cant look in his direction even. I just stare at the computer.

Its gotta be some weird ego thing, judging my reaction to his wicked riffs and hot licks. I kinda want to bring it up with him, just to see how awkward that conversation can get, but I probably wont. Anyone else have any bizzaro social tension during a session?

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:56 am

Wear a "Yngwie is God" T-shirt and start drooling when he stares at you next. Might work.

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:46 am

Nothing like a good winky wink to set someone off balance.

Kitana_One
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kitana_One » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:07 am

AudioHog wrote:Nothing like a good winky wink to set someone off balance.
That one right there totally freaks me out. I've never been one for winking. I think it's a bit weird.

I used to have a boss that had some type of nervous twitch where it would make him blink... a lot and only with on eye. It totally freaked me out for quite some time untill I concluded that he just has a tick.

@ numberrr:

I would suggest the wink thing as well, however, if the guys insecure with his manhood... you might get decked.

You may want to figure out who the most confident or most laid back individual in the band is, or who the "leader" is and maybe take him aside to ask him about it on the down low. Explain to him that it's making you a bit uncomfortable and want to know if everything's ok because you want everything to work out ok and that they're satisfied as clients. You'll probably get an explanation.

I know it's not good to talk about people behind their backs, however, some people have issues with their eyes (and sometimes their brains) and it's a sensitive issue to bring up. Sometimes you might be surprised with the answer and you'll be totally cool and understanding afterwards.

Maybe he's just one of those people that likes to "test" people or likes to know someone is in the zone with him. Maybe he's doing just that... zoning out and not even really seeing you, but definitely looking in your direction because he needs something to look at or focus on, but not even really acknowledging whatever it is because he's too busy concentrating and not really knowing what he's looking at.

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:54 am

start wearing sunglasses

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:58 am

"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

numberrr
ass engineer

Post by numberrr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:23 pm

he is the uncontested leader of the band. his word is law. EGO

the sunglasses thing is slick. so is the wink. maybe with a little eyebrow sass thrown in.

just found a bottle of visine. i think tommorow, im gonna lube up my eyehole and totally cheat at a staring contenst with him :D

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm

if the wink doesn't do it, follow up by licking your lips and smiling.

then, if he still hasn't wavered, slowly and rapturously eat a banana.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:19 am

RefD wrote:if the wink doesn't do it, follow up by licking your lips and smiling.

Bwaaaahaaaaa :lol:
Yes, that's it!

Kitana_One
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kitana_One » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:18 am

RefD wrote:if the wink doesn't do it, follow up by licking your lips and smiling.

LMMFAO!!!!!

Brilliant.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:43 am

Seems like it would be easy enough to ask him about it by saying something like, "...hey, you seem to be staring at me like you're pissed or unsatisfied or something. Is everything OK? Did you like the sound we're getting?" This would subtly make him aware that you've noticed this. Maybe he hardly knows it himself. Seems like he might alter his habits a bit with a comment like this. Then again, it may be a calculated thing on his part. If it's not a passive-agressive ego thing, maybe he's earnestly just trying to connect with another person for musical communication. That aside, I know this would annoy me.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:45 am

This is pretty funny...but don't forget that you may get a response you didn't bargain for. He might like it!

And you thought the staring was awkward... :wink:

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:48 am

Could just be that he has no idea he's doing it. I've known someone who sticks his tongue out when he's playing. I don't think he's aware he's doing it, and it's not even a little bit of tongue on the lip - it's like Jordan swooping in for a dunk. The full monty, tongue-style.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:58 am

centurymantra wrote:

This is pretty funny...but don't forget that you may get a response you didn't bargain for. He might like it!

And you thought the staring was awkward... :wink:
i'd just offer him one of the bananas and get on with the session. :)
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he probably doesn't even realise he is doing it. Musicians zone out pretty easily when they are "in the zone".
I'll bet if you just make a silly face at him next time, he will get it.

I used to play with a bass player that would stare at himself in a mirror the ENTIRE TIME we would play. When we started giving him shit, he didn't even realise he was doing it.