Cascade Ribbon FatHead Mod?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Cascade Ribbon FatHead Mod?

Post by nopenopenope » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions what/where/how to mod a Cascade FatHead mic? I think it's could use some improvements in the sound - it's kind of closed sounding.

Thanks!

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 pm

start by tearing it apart and removing extraneous screens and filters.

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Post by nopenopenope » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:21 pm

already done.

Marik
gettin' sounds

Re: Cascade Ribbon FatHead Mod?

Post by Marik » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:41 pm

JoshSites wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions what/where/how to mod a Cascade FatHead mic? I think it's could use some improvements in the sound - it's kind of closed sounding.

Thanks!
Is it FatHead I or II? I modded FatHead II, which I believe has the same motor, but more room inside. If you have Fathead I check first if new Cinemag or Lundahl transformers would fit it.

Beside transformer swap I remachined the motor, and re-ribboned it with 1.5 micron ribbon. I measured the original as 6 micron (vs. advertised 2.5um), which is way too thick for use in ANY ribbon microphone.

On this particular mic I would not recommend changing the screen in front of the ribbon. It is there not only for protective purposes (including protection against metal particles reaching magnet gap), but also to damp ribbon resonances.

Best, M

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 am

I would guess a Beyer transformer has a better chance of fitting the Fathead I. Don't know which model, but check in with the groupbuy for Beyer transformers that's a sticky on this forum: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewfo ... 0532203e2c

Bear

Feedback
ass engineer

Post by Feedback » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:26 am

FYI, the Fathead now has an option to get it with a lundahl installed from the factory.

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/casca ... 0HEAD.html

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Marik wrote:Beside transformer swap I remachined the motor, and re-ribboned it with 1.5 micron ribbon. I measured the original as 6 micron (vs. advertised 2.5um), which is way too thick for use in ANY ribbon microphone.Best, M
- except that it can handle 165 max SPL with the OEM ribbon, not that we encounter those levels regularly ;)

Also, how did machining the charged mag assembly go?

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:20 pm

The magic question, 165db at what frequency? 1kHz? I may be wrong, but I bet low frequencies have drastically lower headroom points. All the new ribbon manufacturers seems to be using the 1kHz point, which may be misleading.

anybody know?
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Marik
gettin' sounds

Post by Marik » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:53 pm

stevedood wrote:
Marik wrote:Beside transformer swap I remachined the motor, and re-ribboned it with 1.5 micron ribbon. I measured the original as 6 micron (vs. advertised 2.5um), which is way too thick for use in ANY ribbon microphone.Best, M
- except that it can handle 165 max SPL with the OEM ribbon, not that we encounter those levels regularly ;)?
Most of ribbons can hold extremely high SPL... much higher than any practical levels. Have you ever heard complaints about Coles 4038 (0.6 micron)? The sound quality of thicker ribbons degrades drastically. Just pick what you prefer.

And BTW, how did they measure that "165 max SPL"? I am wondering what kind of source did they use :?
stevedood wrote: Also, how did machining the charged mag assembly go?
It went well :P . First, you dismount magnets, then cut the frame on milling machine, then install the magnets back, put a new ribbon... and voila.

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:37 am

6 micron must have sounded pretty shit.

I've used thicker foil in the past and it sounded muddy and boomy, and I don't think it was as thick as that.

I wonder how many people replace transformers on some of these Chinese mics trying to clear up the sound when the foil used is already utter crap?
Roddy Bell
BBC / Siemens

abarson
audio school

Post by abarson » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:29 am

Feedback wrote:FYI, the Fathead now has an option to get it with a lundahl installed from the factory.

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/casca ... 0HEAD.html
Pardon my ignorance, but what does including the transformer bring to the table sonically? Does it also protect the mic from inadverdent application of phantom power?

redear
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by redear » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:22 am

It is not including the transformer, it is using a higer quality transformer. It will (theoreticaly) clear up and broden the responce of the mic. Theoreticaly... so far as I understand it. rodabod would know for sure.

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:33 am

Could one of these be used to mic the shell of a snare drum?

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:07 am

Damn. I just bought a Fat Head too. So you're saying that it has a 6 micron ribbon when they claim it's 2.5? Does this mean the mic sucks? The samples on their site sure sound good though. I guess we'll see...

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Yeah, I got one recently and I feel like it sounds muffled a bit on vocals. I can eq it and bring out what I need once I lay stuff down, but it sounds like you are sitting on it compared to say my AT4033 (which is kinda bright but was about $100 more and I love it). I used it as an overhead on some drums tho, and it did alright. But I really wanted to get good vocal sound from it prior to eq'ing.
If you put in a thinner ribbon, what does that do in terms of what you can use it for? Will it drastically reduce my options?
Does anyone do this (replace the ribbon) for hire? and how much? I likely would not mod this mic myself with my lack of experience.

Thanks