Anyone have a hobby they like better than recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:25 am

comfortstarr wrote:Music and Recording are my hobbies (not my job). But, I will usually drop everything to go play soccer (pick-up or on various teams). However, as I just turned 40 in November, that hobby will, sadly, be in decline.
There, there now. I bet you have quite a good plenty of soccer-playing years left in you.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:11 am

I enjoy gardening (something to do with the missus) and cooking and spend more time on them than on recording. Recording is pretty high on the list though. tough call.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:01 am

I own a hatchery (for aquarium fish, not to eat) and work as a service manager for a pet store - mostly maintaining customers tanks and installing huge reef setups.

Do I love my fish more than recording? Hard to say. It is certainly where most of my time and money are invested, but I'm moving more of each into the recording realm.
If you're not prepared to look stupid, nothing great is ever gonna happen.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 am

Jim_Boulter wrote:Occupation: Fish pimp

I own a hatchery (for aquarium fish, not to eat) and work as a service manager for a pet store - mostly maintaining customers tanks and installing huge reef setups.

Do I love my fish more than recording? Hard to say. It is certainly where most of my time and money are invested, but I'm moving more of each into the recording realm.
I used to work full-time doing this stuff before music school... need to get back into the African Cichlids again. Great hobby.

Jeff

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:46 am

ipressrecord wrote:
Jim_Boulter wrote:Occupation: Fish pimp

I used to work full-time doing this stuff before music school... need to get back into the African Cichlids again. Great hobby.

Jeff
Ian Anderson, the Jethro Tull guy, has been a professional (commercial) fish (salmon) farmer since the early 1980s. I read an interview with him about the topic. He is quite arrogant about his fish farming. Being British, he's also pretty funny about his arrogance.

From the wikipedia:

"Anderson is a successful businessman away from the music industry, and he has owned 43 salmon farms. His Strathaird concern, [1], based on his estate on the Isle of Skye was worth ?10.7 million in the late 1990s, when parts of it began to be sold off. He currently owns a group of companies which reported a gross profit of ?1.8 million in 2004, ...etc etc..."

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Re: ahh cars

Post by LVC_Jeff » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 pm

tweedclassic wrote:my life now involves recording and tinkering with audio electronics. speaker building is a hobby i guess. what kind of racing did you do? I used to turn spanners on a rally car race team years ago. I do miss the sound of the car and working on such a brilliant technological piece of ART. When I get a garage again I will start looking for a old 20v turbo Audi motor to build into a fire-breathing monster. but i digress.... so someday I will have the car hobbie again but no rush.
Cheers
R.
I autocross mostly, but I do dragrace and road rally from time to time. Eventually I want to get into Road Racing or hillclimbs. 20v Audi sounds good :)

Thanks for the replies guys. It's encouraging to know that sometimes it's ok to dream about something other than recording stuff or doing a live show.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

patternagainstuser
alignin' 24-trk

Post by patternagainstuser » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:37 pm

lancebug wrote:Fishing. Way predates recording for me. I wont say more or less, just different.
absolutely. i record for a living because i need a way to pay for the things i do to relax, which is primarily fishing.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:32 am

I work in the live sound business, not recording. So recording is still a bit of a hobby, but I rarely ever do it.

Aside from audio, I like to bicycle in the nicer months. And brew beer - I don't do a huge volume like some brewing buddies, but I'm fairly sophisticated in how & what I brew these days.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:22 am

Scodiddly wrote:I work in the live sound business, not recording. So recording is still a bit of a hobby, but I rarely ever do it.

Aside from audio, I like to bicycle in the nicer months. And brew beer - I don't do a huge volume like some brewing buddies, but I'm fairly sophisticated in how & what I brew these days.
perfect, because one of my hobbies is drinking the stuff...

actually, my day job is in design, so music is perhaps my big hobby, albeit a pretty serious one- a place i can retreat to from the 'pressures of the world', and it's become more and more of a focus (discovering tapeop a number of years ago has certainly been a factor, because it, apart from most other magazines out there, seems like a personal connection to what i am doing, not just an industry journal that makes me feel like an outsider). i also love road biking, backpacking, climbing, skiing, painting & drawing, gardening, cooking, woodworking, bodyboarding, reading, chilling with my family, walking & playing with our dogs, ashtanga yoga, watching the lakers. when i'm doing these things i like them better than recording, but when i'm recording that's what i want to be doing the most, if that makes any sense.

KyleHale
gettin' sounds

Post by KyleHale » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:17 pm

One of my other hobbies is photography and art of any form. I grew up as an artist, keeping my hands dirty with clay or in the dark room. I love graphic design, but have no idea how to do it and want to start venturing into it this year. I love rock climbing and I constantly have my nose buried in a book at the end of the day reading literature. I got into recording as a freshman in college and have loved it since. Its a hard realization(and esp. after getting a bachelors degree in sound design) that recording may have to stay a hobby for some of us, including myself. I am pursuing sound design with everything I have because I want to one day be running sound design in the corporate world. I already work for turner, so hopefully that dream is not too far away. I may end up doing something entirely different in the long scope of a career, but I will try the best I can to make the passion I have for recording a full time job, leaving it at work when Im done for the day.
check me out!

kylehale.net

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:47 pm

Tatertot wrote:Gardening/yard work, with an emphasis on native plants and reforesting my little lot.
yeah organic vegetable and flower gardening. smoking weed, drinking beer, girls, and riding my bike are all up there on the list with music/recording.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:51 pm

though i do at times miss building things that fly. Used to be into R/C airplanes and model rocketry during my early teens, before rockandroll, girls, and causing trouble became more fun.

and on a related note, screen printing was a hobby for a couple of years, making shirts and patches for myself and friends, then i got a job screenprinting and was cursed with that occupation for a few years at various shops. That burned me out of screen printing. Never again do i want to do that for a living unless its small run, cool art, and fashion/art related. or just for myself. Kinda what i'm scared of if recording/studio work ever became my "day job".

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:37 am

Comic books! I don't love them more than recording and music but I had to give them up a while back to save for gear. I'm sort of satisfied with what I have at the moment so I started reading them again. There's some great stuff out there...Fables, Y: The Last Man, The Exterminators...not too into the superhero stuff but the alternative books are a lot of fun.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:37 am

Tick up another one for organic farming. I call it a hobby, though I probably put as much time into it as my day job between March and October.

It's actually a lot like recording in some aspects....there's always gear lust (currently looking for an Allis G, which if it were audio equipment would be considered vintage). Unlike recording, I do get a lot of sun.

Jupiter4Jackie
audio school graduate

Post by Jupiter4Jackie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Same, I work for a Broadway Theatre by day, recording sits somewhere inbetween a hobby and a moonlighting job. I'm still beginning and need far more trial and error to call it my job. I assist, but I do love it.

My hobbies include exploring new food joints, collecting hot sauce, travel and finding the perfect cup of coffee.
ipressrecord wrote:I'm a graphic designer by day, so recording is this weird blur between hobby and moonlighting job. Other hobbies include hiking, reading, making music.

I like long walks in the park, cooking vegetarian meals, indie films, sunsets...
"...he reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says "Actually, I think you need a little more development." Swim again, please. Backstroke. And he does of course."
- Steve Albini, The Problem With Music