Anyone have a hobby they like better than recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Anyone have a hobby they like better than recording?

Post by LVC_Jeff » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:00 pm

Am I the only one that has a hobby that they enjoy doing more than recording/mixing/live sound? I love cars. I will always love cars. I race them competitively, and I'm quite good at it.

I've already heard the spiel about "you have to to be passionate about recording if you want to make it." I am passionate about recording, I haven't spent money on cars in 2 years, and I haven't raced in about that long because I'm busy doing stuff with recording and sound.

But is there anyone else who has a hobby they wish they were doing when you were recording or at your other sound-related job? And what is it you'd rather be doing? (just out of curiosity)

Thanks.
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:03 pm

Gardening/yard work, with an emphasis on native plants and reforesting my little lot.

crow
steve albini likes it

crow

Post by crow » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 pm

in recent years, as recording has become my job, i keep wondering what my hobby will be. it seems to have become fixing gear, although it should be actually making music. the fact that after a long day of recording, i'm hanging out on the TOMB must say something.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 pm

recordings all i got. That and writing and playing music.

NoClass
pluggin' in mics

Post by NoClass » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:49 pm

....looking at pretty girls? Does that count as a hobby? Otherwise I'd rather just record or play guitar.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:17 am

What's this "girl" you speak of?

I record at work and then I come home, watch an episode of the office on my ipod, record another band, then sleep on the floor of my one bedroom apartment because I spent all my money on microphones, get up the next morning, and go back to work. I record to get away from recording.

Ian

tweedclassic
ass engineer

ahh cars

Post by tweedclassic » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:30 am

my life now involves recording and tinkering with audio electronics. speaker building is a hobby i guess. what kind of racing did you do? I used to turn spanners on a rally car race team years ago. I do miss the sound of the car and working on such a brilliant technological piece of ART. When I get a garage again I will start looking for a old 20v turbo Audi motor to build into a fire-breathing monster. but i digress.... so someday I will have the car hobbie again but no rush.
Cheers
R.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:08 am

I'm a musician first and foremost, and from that came a techinical curiosity that spawned my recording interest. Both kinda save themselves from one another- meaning when I get a bit burned out geeking out on what I should be doing engineering wise, I can always play music with my band and /or others. That usually keeps things fresh. Aside from anything music, I'm a skateboarder. I've been skating so long that it's part of who I am. It influenced much music I got into as a kid, and gave me great personal experiences, tons of adventures, and really made me face fears over the years I've been doing it. It's not as easy to be the skate rat that I was years ago, due to full on life responsibilities, but there's a richness that I feel now when I skate that makes me never want to stop. Anyhow, yeah, that's my big alter ego. There are times when recording that I really want to go skating, but that said- recording isn't too bad of a gig. I feel blessed to do both. Gifts are transferable- just gotta find a balance sometimes.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:19 am

Fishing. Way predates recording for me. I wont say more or less, just different.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:31 am

Hording. . .no. . .really. . .

Not just recording gear. . .whenever I get into something, I have to have like 50 of everything involved. I was really into photography for awhile so I have about 6 or 7 cameras and 3 times that many lenses. . .i used to be "into" computers but now i do it for a "day job" but still have remnants from my hording. . .i play guitar and own more than i care to count (stopped counting at 20). . .i collect DVDs and don't like to lend them out. . .i love star wars and decided i needed all of the recent burger king toys they put out (i'm 28 years old. . .why i need burger king toys still sealed in shoeboxes in my closet is beyond me!). . .the list goes on. Kentothink can verify. . .my real passion is stuff. . .i just like to get stuff.

-James
HWJLHC?

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:40 am

Fly fishing (I suck at it, but it's fun).
Curling (My team sucks at it, but it's fun).
Biking (I'm not fast, but I can bike pretty far, and it's fun).
Cooking (I'm pretty good, but nothing compared to my mom, but it's fun).

I've been telling people in meetings at work- "Don't turn your job into your hobby. Do you work, and then leave. Seriously."

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 am

Music and Recording are my hobbies (not my job). But, I will usually drop everything to go play soccer (pick-up or on various teams). However, as I just turned 40 in November, that hobby will, sadly, be in decline.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:24 am

I'm a graphic designer by day, so recording is this weird blur between hobby and moonlighting job. Other hobbies include hiking, reading, making music.

I like long walks in the park, cooking vegetarian meals, indie films, sunsets...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:45 am

Surfing. Sucks to be in the middle of Illinois, but the Lakes are actually pretty decent when the wind is right and they'll suffice for the time being. I'm also addicted to the Food Network. Good Eats is my favorite show right now, with The Iron Chef close behind. That new one on cakes is cool, too. Oh, and I run, but not in December through February. Music/recording is probably second on my list, behind surfing. I'd never touch a guitar again if I could be promised great waves every day for the rest of my life.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 am

Recording and working with sound will always be my first love, but I also enjoy building models of military aircraft and going to airshows.

I recently finished a collection of Blue Angels models, every plane they've ever flown from 1946 until now, in 1/48 scale. I have them displayed in my control room.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com