Inexpensive real string arrangements a-la-carte!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Inexpensive real string arrangements a-la-carte!

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:50 am

Hey dudes,

This is not MY business so don't dismiss this post as spam...it ain't.

I was just told about this guy's site and I thought everyone should know about it 'cuz it seems like a good deal for you smalltime pros out there (like me) who may need string arrangements every once in a while on a very limited budget...
http://www.stringtracking.com/
..enjoy!

Adam
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Re: Inexpensive real string arrangements a-la-carte!

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:06 pm

thanks for the email tony - it's all good.

best,
Jon

EDIT: i eliminated the now-un needed original post.
Last edited by Jon Nolan on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:45 pm

I didn't listen to the "sucks" sample but I guess it would be okay as an example of a bad decision PROVIDED that the "sucky" party is not identified or identifiable to locals and would not constitute some kind of relevant slander.
?Raoul Duke

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:53 pm

this post now in digital heaven. RIP.

j-no
Last edited by Jon Nolan on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 pm

OUCHIES!!!
?Raoul Duke

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 pm

:D Thanks for fixing your site, Tony! Best of luck.
Last edited by Jeff White on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:42 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:from the string guy's site:

"Here is an example of a $350 session for a young ?professional? string quartet that sucks and got paid by a respectable band in my town. This is a job that I should have gotten, although the band leader didn?t have the vision of what was possible by multitracking."

wtf?! no class. why can't he just show how good his own stuff is instead of shitting on somebody else? lame.
It's a shame, the rest of his site is pretty nice. It could probably stand on its own without stooping to this tactic.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:45 pm

dwlb wrote:
Jon Nolan wrote:from the string guy's site:

"Here is an example of a $350 session for a young ?professional? string quartet that sucks and got paid by a respectable band in my town. This is a job that I should have gotten, although the band leader didn?t have the vision of what was possible by multitracking."

wtf?! no class. why can't he just show how good his own stuff is instead of shitting on somebody else? lame.
It's a shame, the rest of his site is pretty nice. It could probably stand on its own without stooping to this tactic.
Except that it looks terrible in Firefox. Somebody ought to tell him.

He actually has a really nice statement about how he feels it's an "honor" to be invited to help on people's recordings and whatnot. It is a very humble statement, at face value.

There was a drummer around here a while ago whom one could hire to play on tracks. I think he wanted $50 per song.

Maybe I'll start offering my services to the public. Who wants to hire me to play out-of-tune cello? How about picked electric bass? Anyone?

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:56 pm

I myself am always available to play skinflute all over anybody's album for free.
?Raoul Duke

hughindigo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by hughindigo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:16 pm

General Rule: People who play classical instruments well don't work for beer.

Not true!! I'll play for really good beer... my rates start a case of yeungling and go from there.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:47 pm

i was pretty psyched to hear about this guy actually - and bummed to see that BS on there. all the string playing peeps around here are f'ing expensive!

EDIT: it's all good now - no BS any more. sorry for the serial editing...
Last edited by Jon Nolan on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:59 am

Jon Nolan wrote:all the string playing peeps around here are f'ing expensive!
it's funny cause i was talking with some friends of mine who are also musicians, about how great it is to know so many people, who can play so many instruments that i can call on for recording stuff.

to which we all responded.... "now, if we only knew a really good string quartet."

all our bases would be covered. this guy has a great idea i think. assholishsness aside.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

stringtracking
audio school

Dear Everyone.

Post by stringtracking » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:24 am

FROM THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF STRINGTRACKING.COM

A reader emailed me about this thread yesterday, and I feel really awful about everything. It took a full day to get registered to post on Tape Op, otherwise this apology would have been recieved sooner.\

I thank you all for your feedback, and have taken the video off of my site and hope the people here will reconsider their opinions about me and my work.

The people in this forum were correct....i shouldn't have put that on my website. I was just trying to get business, and it has been difficult and frustrating having something as sellable as this service i offer, and I was trying to defend every argument of "why to NOT use me".

I really take every client I work for very seriously, am very professional about deadlines and work, and I try to do my very best on each project, whether it is 45s or a 90 minute film.

With posting the video, I was trying to say that it is very hard to get a group of string players together that can play well as an ensemble, and is even harder to find a group who has more than just occasional experience recording.

Recording is a skill that no one is really blessed with, and it has taken me quite a long time to learn what i have learned.

I was wanting to make the potential client reading my website understand that they COULD hire a quartet, but there isn't really any guarantee that what they pay for would be great work...

And I offer satisfaction guaranteed.

Anyway, enough of that....my apologies to everyone. You were all right, and the reference video has been removed and it should be updated on the web by this afternoon.

Thanks so much for your comments. I welcome any more that you might have....

Very Sincerely and Apologetically,

Tony Rogers
http://www.stringtracking.com
If you want any REAL strings on your album, film, project:

http://www.stringtracking.com

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:57 am

Tony I'm the guy that gave you the heads-up and also started this thread. I'll also be the first to say kudos to you for seeing the big picture...if somebody emailed me about all this I'd probably get all defensive and tell everybody to go fuck themselves. You're the man, man. Everybody has oversights now and again. And I still do think you've got a good thing going.

I also still don't think that having an example of a "bad" horns experience is out-of-the-question...I think it would more be a matter of anonymizing it somehow...extracting the audio from the video and removing thebed of strings from the song they were laid into so that nobody would be able to put it all together or something. Just a thought.

Okay, enough of that shit....WELCOME TO TAPEOP! As I said to you before you will really find this place to be a wealth of knowledge and everyone here is really cool and responsive. For what you do, this place is invaluable. Portland is FULL of recording geeks (including King Larry) and this is also a fine place for you to "network".

Cheers,
Adam
?Raoul Duke

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 am

No worries my end ... welcome to tapeop ... I never read the offending quote on your actual website, but the rest of the website seems very high-class (except for the firefox-specific issues with overlapping blocks of text and whatnot)

BTW, I am an amateur verging on poseur, with a cheap cello and an old violin, and I certainly enjoy multitracking little string arrangements, but I confess that I sometimes lean on Autotune to get things ironed out ... anyway, I do think there's a good case for multitracking string arrangements (especially since I only have the standard two arms/hands)

Welcome to tapeop; please stick around and join in our ongoing discussions!