why are the controls on the *BACK* of my event monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

these_go211
pushin' record

why are the controls on the *BACK* of my event monitors

Post by these_go211 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm

i'm just curious why on earth the power button and the volume knob would be on the back of the monitor :x this is really inconvenient. wouldn't it be so much easier to have them on the front. is there a logical reason i'm missing to put them on the back. maybe i'm missing something incredibly obvious........... thanks.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:01 pm

all the monitors i ever had were the same thing...maybe it has to due with design needs? maybe it can't be the other way around...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 pm

So they will look good in Mix Magazine.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:15 pm

So the blind white rapper doesn't crank 'em while you're out taking a pee break.

Set 'em and forget 'em.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:40 pm

well I think most studios have there Monitors on some kinda power on/off sequence. Making the power switch always in the 'on' state. I set up a simple on/off switch for my "Central Sation" and my Event's I can't even remember what the back of my speakers look like, it's been so long. So ya, even a 5 dollar power strip bolted to your desk would work just fine.

Ryan
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

NoClass
pluggin' in mics

Post by NoClass » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:well I think most studios have there Monitors on some kinda power on/off sequence. Making the power switch always in the 'on' state. I set up a simple on/off switch for my "Central Sation" and my Event's I can't even remember what the back of my speakers look like, it's been so long. So ya, even a 5 dollar power strip bolted to your desk would work just fine.

Ryan
That seems like it would be very convenient but I always thought it would be a bad idea to just cut the power to a component without actually turning it off first. Is this not the case, and I'm just being overly cautious? I realize that's basically what a power switch does but I assumed they usually somehow padded the transition from electricity to no electricity, if you know what I mean.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:40 pm

I've always just assumed the power switches were on the backs to prevent electrical interference/noise. ? Having the switch up front would require the AC to come closer to the speaker cones and or whatever transducer is producing the sounds making AC intereference more likely.

Just a thought. But then again, there are LED's on many monitors mounted on the front which would require some amount of power going towards the front of the enclosure.

I really don't know anything about this stuff...

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:46 pm

it looks better.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:48 pm

dwlb wrote:it looks better.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Goldenvoice
audio school graduate

Post by Goldenvoice » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:12 pm

It's back there for when you've had too many beers, and want to start f*cking with the settings, you're less likely to stick your finger in a cone...

?

OR maybe they started on the front, until they ran out of room to put the speakers...

?

Or maybe to dissuade you from soffit mounting them...

?

Or maybe some corporate numbers pusher figured over the entire production run, they'd save enough dough on wire (not running to the front mounted switches) to spend a week in the Bahamas...

?

I've had my ASP8s for a month, and wondering the same thing. And being afraid to shut them off remotely, have to climb over the gear, just to turn on the monitors...

Maybe the switch is on the back, so you'll find something you lost...

?

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:19 am

Goldenvoice wrote:Or maybe to dissuade you from soffit mounting them...

?
:)

Ya, I'd shy away from using a power strip for them, unless it was just them. Then some careful testing would probably be OK.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:26 am

Much easier and cheaper to mount all the electronics in one module.

Nothing sticking out in front to cause reflection/diffraction issues.

It's OK to disconnect power instead of switching off. All the switch does is cut power from the AC cable.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:46 am

Scodiddly wrote:
It's OK to disconnect power instead of switching off. All the switch does is cut power from the AC cable.
Just make sure the mixer or anything else isn't plugged into the strip you use for an on/off switch. The mixer may kick out a nasty transient while the amps are still holding power and damage a speaker.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:01 am

scott anthony wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:
Just make sure the mixer or anything else isn't plugged into the strip you use for an on/off switch. The mixer may kick out a nasty transient while the amps are still holding power and damage a speaker.

You should be fine as long as you zero the console. er... turn the faders down on the mixer. "zero the console" just sounds much cooler, even though i'd never reffer to the thing that sits on top of my rack as a console!

I have the DAW, on a strip, it just stays on. The rack I have on a power conditioner. I just switch the rack on and off from there. And another for my amps and guitar effects. It's no problem what so ever - unless your equpment has some sort of problem. I don't leave the tube amp "on" and kill the power with the switch for obvious reasons.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:15 am

thanks for the responses. maybe it's a combination of a technical reason and an aesthetic one. luckily it's not that hard to get to my power button on the back, i'm just having to reach over my computer monitor a bit. i just found the placement odd.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo