Soundreplacer or Drumagog?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:10 am

I just got this as well. I usually use sound replacer. The only thing I'm not quite getting is the latency in drumagog.. I can't seem to get rid of it. I like the way it works and could see myself using it instead of sound replacer if it weren't for this latency problem... Thoughts?

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:55 am

I also use some samples that came from the Logic/Garageband AU instrument library. Nice repository of stuff that was bundled/free.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:57 pm

the riff wrote:I just got this as well. I usually use sound replacer. The only thing I'm not quite getting is the latency in drumagog.. I can't seem to get rid of it. I like the way it works and could see myself using it instead of sound replacer if it weren't for this latency problem... Thoughts?

seangordon
audio school graduate

Post by seangordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:51 pm

I did two drum mixes yesterday with the Steven Slate Drum samples. All I got to say is WOW. Maybe two WOWS. I had messed with the samples a bit but I hadn't dug very deep. Yesterday I loaded up a session of myself practicing drums to a click. My snare head was like a year old and the kick was really weak and within seconds I had the drum sound of my dreams.

I made some wav snippets and the marc at steven slate drums made mp3s and put them in their customer demos page. I used Drumagog for the replacement. Here are the links:

first one i did:
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/custome ... omer1a.mp3

second I used a different kick and snare sample GOG
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/customers/customer1.mp3

here is the original Pearl Export drums with no samples
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/custome ... omer1b.mp3

I also have some wav snippets of the same drums with Bob Clearmountain samples but I need someone to host it.

I got to give those guys a shout out, they have amazing customer support and and their samples are simply untouchable! www.stevenslatedrums.com

Now the next step is finding out how to get the real drums to sound as good as the samples. First step is probably getting some better drums, I know!!

Sean

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:37 am

I'd have to say that, while the tones are definitely more 'modern' and clean, you're losing a lot of your playing. The little ghost notes at the end, and the final roll, I noticed sound especially slaughtered. I think the basic tones of your set aren't that terrible, assuming you haven't applied any processing yet. With the right eq and compression, I bet you could get something close to the samples.

I'm not a sample hater, but I do hate to hear cool little rolls and subtle playing wrecked by samples...

Post your raw tracks, and I'll give them a quick mix and see what I can squeeze out of them...

seangordon wrote:I did two drum mixes yesterday with the Steven Slate Drum samples. All I got to say is WOW. Maybe two WOWS. I had messed with the samples a bit but I hadn't dug very deep. Yesterday I loaded up a session of myself practicing drums to a click. My snare head was like a year old and the kick was really weak and within seconds I had the drum sound of my dreams.

I made some wav snippets and the marc at steven slate drums made mp3s and put them in their customer demos page. I used Drumagog for the replacement. Here are the links:

first one i did:
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/custome ... omer1a.mp3

second I used a different kick and snare sample GOG
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/customers/customer1.mp3

here is the original Pearl Export drums with no samples
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/custome ... omer1b.mp3

I also have some wav snippets of the same drums with Bob Clearmountain samples but I need someone to host it.

I got to give those guys a shout out, they have amazing customer support and and their samples are simply untouchable! www.stevenslatedrums.com

Now the next step is finding out how to get the real drums to sound as good as the samples. First step is probably getting some better drums, I know!!

Sean

seangordon
audio school graduate

Post by seangordon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 am

Thanks John. But I have to say that because I did this super quick, I didn't care about the ghosts and stuff. If I tweaked Drumagog more and put the threshold down it would have caught the ghosts and the Slate dvd has little ghost notes in its lowest velocity. I tried tweaking for almost an hour trying to get the real drums better and never got close to the big sound of the samples.

I'm not sweating it anymore though, all the guys in LA use samples and get that big sound so now I'm just traveling with the pack instead of trying to follow it. I actually just found out that a guy who works at one of the studios I'm interning at was using the Slate dvd for drum sounds and I've been in awe of his drum sounds for a while too. I actually bought a few of his drum mics before I knew he was using samples!!

What really sells me is when i put the drum tracks in a mix I did of some crappy metal guitars, the drums in the two sampled mixes really punched through. The original drums got lost. I have pretty much checked "DRUMS" off my list now. The Slate dvd has a bit of every kind of rock style except Jazz so now I need a Jazz sample disc and I'll be a pretty versatile mixer! :lol: So next on the list is getting a big bass sound that doesn't sound muddy or boomy. But I'm moving forward!
Sean

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:57 am

How are you Drumagog users handling cymbals/overhead mics? Do you basically just replace the actual drum tracks as needed and let the overheads carry the brass?

John E. RokkeR
pluggin' in mics

Post by John E. RokkeR » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:09 pm

you can solve your latancy issues by bouncing down the track with the drummagog pluging to another track, then stretch the veiw and manually slide over the bounced track to line the peaks and valleys up with the original.

i used it on the kicks only on the latest album i'm working on. the last one i used it on the kicks and toms.
"If you're not done admiring our hair, we have pictures available at the merch table." -Jason Decay, Goat Horn.

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:34 pm

John E. RokkeR wrote:you can solve your latancy issues by bouncing down the track with the drummagog pluging to another track, then stretch the veiw and manually slide over the bounced track to line the peaks and valleys up with the original.

i used it on the kicks only on the latest album i'm working on. the last one i used it on the kicks and toms.
Thanks! Is that the only way to do it though?

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:07 pm

the riff wrote:I just got this as well. I usually use sound replacer. The only thing I'm not quite getting is the latency in drumagog.. I can't seem to get rid of it. I like the way it works and could see myself using it instead of sound replacer if it weren't for this latency problem... Thoughts?
Go to http://www.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... ls+latency

The drumagog website is the place to go for all your questions.

seangordon
audio school graduate

Post by seangordon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:47 pm

The mp3s I posted didn't seem to have any latency. I used Pro Tools HD.

If you are getting latency, it could be due to the samples you are using. The Steven Slate Drums come with a folder of the raw wavs and upon examination of them, I see they are cut right at the very edge of the transient. This may be why they work with no latency.

Sean

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:00 pm

seangordon wrote:The mp3s I posted didn't seem to have any latency. I used Pro Tools HD.

If you are getting latency, it could be due to the samples you are using. The Steven Slate Drums come with a folder of the raw wavs and upon examination of them, I see they are cut right at the very edge of the transient. This may be why they work with no latency.

Sean
Protools HD has latency compensation. LE and m-powered does not. That is where most people get the latency problem with Drumagog.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 am

farview wrote:Protools HD has latency compensation. LE and m-powered does not.
This is just simply not true. LE DOES have latency compensation. Unlike HD you cannot turn off or adjust the automatic latency compensation and it only works for RTAS plug-ins. There are definitely some quirks with timing when it comes to using MIDI and audio together, and this may be affecting Drumagog. LE also compensates for latency with ReWire if the external app provides the right information back to LE. It might be that Drumagog doesn't do that correctly.

If LE didn't have automatic latency compensation for RTAS plug-ins, the minute you inserted a BF-3A or Waves L1 your whole mix would fall apart. There's way too much latency in those plugs for it to go un-noticed if there were no compensation.

Todd Wilcox

wayout
ass engineer

Post by wayout » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:49 am

Hmm...
Digi says that LE doesnt have PDC:
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/d ... _33000.pdf

I believe it.

Thats why I dont use SlowToolz LE for anything serious if I can help it.

-Jason

Slate
audio school graduate

Post by Slate » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:52 pm

With Drumagog you can use multiple samples per velocity creating a much more realistic tone. In its newest version, its triggering engine is right on the money when using a latency compensated DAW. Fully recommended.

Steven
www.stevenslatedrums.com
Steven Slate
www.stevenslatedrums.com
super fat and punchy drum samples like your grandma used to make... used by the industry's top mixers