Which desktop brands have good build quality?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Which desktop brands have good build quality?

Post by percussion boy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:35 am

Hey folks --

I was just gonna go out and buy another Dell as my music desktop (despite the fact that their laps' power supplies aren't grounded right for audio sometimes).

Then I started thinking: Change is good. Cubase makes me happier than 10 years of Sonar. 24-96 is nicer than 44-16. Why exactly am I sticking with Dell again?

So what's good? Or does it matter? Megapricey custom music computers probly ain't an option . . .

Sound off.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:21 am

Do you have to have PCI slots?

If not I don't see how you can beat an iMac, or a Mini depending on how much horsepower you need.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:11 am

Conversely, there's always IBM/Lenovo stuff. I got a fine PC from the IBM Factory Outlet a few months ago for VERY little money. It's almost like buying by the pound. Very rock solid stuff, I think. Strong like chainsaw. You can also order one with a licensed copy of Windows 2000 (which I now regret not doing; I went for XP instead)

Now, today, I can't find the IBM outlet online anymore. Maybe they've closed shop. I should have bought a refurbished Thinkpad while I still could.

EDIT: Found it:

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ct=2576394

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:22 pm

well, fwiw I bought a used dell 400sc server. there's a thread on it here, something like 'ultimate daw: clean, quiet, robust'. they can be had for under $400. mine's a 2.8 with a gig 'o ram and a soundcard, almost totally silent, and musician/recorder/computer tech tested and approved, so that mattered a lot to me. in fact i bought it from a tapeopper. you could do worse! search 400sc and give the thread a read.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:01 pm

Dell 400sc is still my main recording system also. You can't get them new of course, but you can find them used.

Still, I'd be looking for a dual-core (or more) if I were you and one with the 1066MHz front-side bus (faster access to memory). You'll be able to load every friggin plugin you have.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:18 pm

Based on what I've seen in the field, your best build quality would be Apple MacIntosh.

After that, you have Dell OPTIPLEX (not Dimension), followed somewhat distantly by HP/Compaq.

Back before IBM was bought by Lenovo their desktops were very unreliable and not at all easy to work on. Their laptops were the best.

Gateway and all those other brands are to be avoided in my opinion, as are Dell Dimension computers.

I've never used one for audio, but a Dell SC server is a GREAT idea. They are not as good as the full PowerEdge servers, but they do make a good high-end workstation. Of course, there's also the Dell Precision line, but I find those to be overpriced and full of stuff no one needs.

Todd Wilcox

qball
pushin' record

Post by qball » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:41 pm

I also have a Dell 400SC just for recording. Except for the price of RAM for the thing, and that a drive caddy won't fit without cutting the case, it's been great. If i were to go out and buy a new DAW computer, I'd get a new Macbook Pro. I'm still thinking about going that route...
I think women should leave the toilet seat UP!!!

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:07 pm

I think the one with the best build quality is the one you build your self.
It might take a night or 2 of researching if you haven't built one before, or like me haven't built one in almost 3 years (I dunno whats out there at the moment!) Checkout some reviews and see what working, check out your hardware manufacturer for compatible chipsets and what not. Go to newegg and buy the stuff, they'll have it shipped before you hit send, and you can put it together in an afternoon.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:13 pm

The 430SC I bought for work a year ago was just about as quiet as the 400SC I bought 3 years ago. The first time I turned the 400SC on I thought it was broken cuz it really is almost silent.

Any new Dell's that are as quiet?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:38 pm

yeah, the 430Ssc is pretty quiet and has USB ports on the front (400sc did not). The Precision 380/390 are pretty quiet as well. I'm considering moving my stuff over to a Precision 380 BUT the 400sc has been working so well (and meeting my needs) why fix it if it ain't broke?

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote: Back before IBM was bought by Lenovo their desktops were very unreliable and not at all easy to work on. Their laptops were the best.

Todd Wilcox
Mine's been okay, but concede that I have already replaced the HD myself (for a bigger better quieter one) and also the original CD reader drive (not a burner) didn't even work when the PC was first delived, but I replaced that right away too. Not for everybody, the ghetto IBM PC sloppy 2nds.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Strange timing on this, I called Dell tech support for a friend tonight and I thought my experience might be helpful.

Before the call I was not looking forward to it for two big reasons:
1) The laptop is out of warranty
2) It's an Inspiron, which means it's a home user model and support is gonna be in India (similar to the Dimension desktops)

Imagine my surprise when the following happened:
1) I talked to a VERY nice guy in Utah (!?!)
2) He arranged a DHL pickup dispatch to Dell's service depot to fix the problem at no cost!!

Apparently, Dell has gotten tired of hearing complaints about the alleged "support" in India and they have started to take steps. The Utah support center is only a couple months old according to the guy I talked to there. I also heard on Tuesday that when you buy a new Dell you can check a box that says you prefer North American support (they already do Optiplex and Latitude support in Canada, and I think PowerEdge is in Texas).

I also suspect that Apple may be taking a bite out of the market and Dell has realized that their main competition might not be HP/Compaq any more. Anyway, things are looking up for the future of Dell support.

Todd Wilcox

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:30 pm

Yeah, Dell has been cleaning up their act ever since mid-summer. I think a lot of recent improvements in tech support happened as a result of that AOL PR disaster last year when a recording of a support phone call got onto the evening news. The customer kept asking to cancel his service and they wouldn't let him. After that got onto the news, things shaped up a bit. Maybe I have some of the details wrong.

There's also the Dell outlet (and the separate Dell Refurbished Store) for us ultra-cheapskates.

Or, you could just send your email address to one of those spammers that constantly pop up on every Craigslist: "Free Alienware Laptop"! I did that and they sent me a laptop, an ipod, and a 42 inch plasma TV within twelve minutes! Just click on this link: http://www.youareasucker.com/getspam

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input. That IBM outlet stuff sure is cheap.
GooberNumber9 wrote:After that, you have Dell OPTIPLEX (not Dimension), followed somewhat distantly by HP/Compaq.
I was close to buying an Opti, but they won't sell me one unless I pretend I'm a business. Which seems insane, and of course makes it impossible to finance through them as an individual.

Apple, Apple, Apple -- I don't trust 'em. Didn't like the pay-us-to-put-a-battery-in-your-ipod scam. I know they make good stuff though.

More thoughts?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Ill put a vote in for the build your own option. I did not build my own from scratch however. I got a barebone Emachines, and pumped up the ram and got a second hard drive. Assuming this computer is going to be dedicated to audio, and never be on the internet, dont pay for bundled software, internet tools, networking capabilities and bells and whistles that you will never use. Get the essentials, look for quality part by part, not for the the name on the case.